• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Disable Ad Block

I have come full circle. I whitelisted this site on Ad Blocker Plus. the loading time for each page went from 1-2 sec to 10-15 sec. Too much to tolerate. So I turned ABP back on.

@BigRedMax, i would pay extra for membership to this site. I love it. You complete me.

I just clicked on the link at the bottom of the page and got these numbers.
Timing:

0.1064 seconds

Page Time: 0.0925s
Memory: 5.4746 MB (Peak: 10.3199 MB)
Queries (27, time: 0.0164s, 17.7%)

I have come full circle. I whitelisted this site on Ad Blocker Plus. the loading time for each page went from 1-2 sec to 10-15 sec. Too much to tolerate. So I turned ABP back on.

Same delay on tweeter posts (HM forum). Without adblock, the loading time lasts forever (2 seconds or more). Red Reign and All "N" tweeter addiction.

"Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection."

Last edited:
@BigRedMax, i would pay extra for membership to this site. I love it. You complete me.
311r2t.jpg

The feedback has been beneficial and I have spoken to the company that we are working with to come up with alternatives.

@Husker Country Doc I will work on the additional subscription suggestion.

@Sooner 24 and others that have complained about the malware. I have not received any reports in a long time and haven't experienced it personally in a few months. If you are still experiencing malware please fill out this form. We can only fight these jerks when we know they are active. We have eliminated many ad agencies and have done other things to get rid of the malware and will continue to do so on an ongoing basis.

Ad blocking is an industry problem and large news sites like nbcnews.com, foxnews.com, cnn.com and others use the same company to address the problem.

I wil reply here. This site like every other commercial site on the internet is supported mostly by advertising. Without that advertising income the site would not exist. Simple as that.

I will use this analogy. The site owners spend hundreds of hours preparing the food (site content), pay the restaurant rent (server fees) and serve the food to the customers (site readers). Instead of charging money for that food they get paid by advertisers so the site readers can eat (read) for free.

Then some site readers decide they want their food and "dine and dash" by not allowing the site owners to generate revenue from the advertisers by using an ad blocker.

We could go the route of the OWH, LJS, Wall Street Journal and others and charge a subscription in addition to the advertising but we don't want to go that route. The $20 annual fee which hasn't been raised in over a decade is mainly to enforce BBS rules and keep this a family friendly site. It has been supplemented many times with "2 for 1 Dave" deals cutting it in half and 15 year members don't have to renew to post.

Bottom line is the amount of readers that dine and dash has become a significant percentage and it's not fair to the paying (no ad blocker) customers. We want to keep avoiding going the full subscription model that many other sites have adopted. The only way to do that is to discourage ad blocking activity.

Thanks in advance for understanding our position and thank you to those that have white listed us so far. It is appreciated.
It seems as though I paid for a buffet and now I am also being charged a la cart.

The feedback has been beneficial and I have spoken to the company that we are working with to come up with alternatives.

@Sooner 24 and others that have complained about the malware. I have not received any reports in a long time and haven't experienced it personally in a few months. If you are still experiencing malware please fill out this form. We can only fight these jerks when we know they are active. We have eliminated many ad agencies and have done other things to get rid of the malware and will continue to do so on an ongoing basis.

Ad blocking is an industry problem and large news sites like nbcnews.com, foxnews.com, cnn.com and others use the same company to address the problem.

I was just having fun. I have not had the opportunity to win anything in months. Sorry if you thought I was insinuating that I was currently having a problem.

The content may load in 0.1s, but the ads load...and load....and load...the whole time it takes me to read and scroll down a page.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus with the latest software. Every single time I open Safari and click on HuskerMax (at least 20 times a day) the site asks me to disable my adblocker. I have done this so many times in the last few days my eyes are about to bleed. I’m not a tech genius by any stretch, but I’m also not a novice. I rarely post and I rarely complain - thus I try to live out a positive presence on HM as a fulfillment of my moniker. However, I won’t be able to keep disabling ad block every time I check HM for news. I’ll give it another week or so, if nothing changes I’ll move to another pay source. I’ll miss the in depth commentary on here, but not the futility of this ad blocker. Hoping for the best, but I’m very discouraged right now.

can you disable the videos then on the front page? There is no option to disable, or to not have them auto play.. stinks big time.

ETA: Also, some of my work AV is kicking back warnings and blocking some of the ad content.

Last edited:

i gave in and disabled my ad blocker. the pop-up telling me how to do it eventually wore me down. so now my page loads in who knows how long, i get to watch adds about dishwashers, while trying to read the front page.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back