• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Director of Player Development

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Frost replaced Brown as Director of Player Development it’s a position that could easily have been ignored .Brown is 62 years old and while an outstanding individual he is too old to deal with today’s young players.
I have taught freshmen at the University level for the past ten years and can see the difference in problems they’re dealing with ( and they’re not D1 athletes hundreds of miles from home)over the past few years. Many are dealing with mental health issues and problems in their home lives. It’s difficult to imagine the issues facing many young football players who have traveled so far from home and the incredible adjustments they are dealing with.
Hopefully the young man Frost hired to help these players( especially freshmen) are dealing with daily will be successful.As an on the field coach Frost has earned his share of criticism but you simply can’t criticize him for his compassion for his players. Washington comes to mind as Frost bent over backwards to help him probably more than fans will ever know. There are more than likely dozens of players he’s helped over the past three years.
Understanding that Brown wasn’t effective and he needed a younger man who was closer to the players age is another example of how much he cares. Dealing with off the field problems his players is a priority and this move is just another example. He’s told parents during recruiting visits he’d take care of their son and unlike some coaches he means it.

Last edited:

Frost replaced Brown as Director of Player Development it’s a position that could easily have been ignored .Brown is 62 years old and while an outstanding individual he is too old to deal with today’s young players.
I have taught freshmen at the University level for the past ten years and can see the difference in problems they’re dealing with ( and they’re not D1 athletes hundreds of miles from home)over the past few years. Many are dealing with mental health issues and problems in their home lives. It’s difficult to imagine the issues facing many young football players who have traveled so far from home and the incredible adjustments they are dealing with.
Hopefully the young man Frost hired to help these players( especially freshmen) are dealing with daily will be successful.As an on the field coach Frost has earned his share of criticism but you simply can’t criticize him for his compassion for his players. Washington comes to mind as Frost bent over backwards to help him probably more than fans will ever know. There are more than likely dozens of players he’s helped over the past three years.
Understanding that Brown wasn’t effective and he needed a younger man who was closer to the players age is another example of how much he cares. Dealing with off the field problems his players is a priority and this move is just another example. He’s told parents during recruiting visits he’d take care of their son and unlike some coaches he means it.
thanks for the insight with your experience. I was wondering how age dealt with that age group as far as being able to identify with the kids. I teach freshmen mostly, but at the h.S. level and always feel that being retirement age has me one step from being ushered out. but a talk with an administrator last year said they like me at that age level because of the way I relate to that age group (either that or no one else wants to deal with them). "I give them a positive introduction into H.S."
anyway, also agree. Frost cares. that is why the staff followed him. Parents see it. Players see it. Curious what Brown ends up doing. My possible speculation-UCF looks like they will be hiring new AD-from Arkansas State. Strong push from Alum for Beckton to become H.C. Whether that is where he goes, either H.C. or some other capacity opens the T.E. coach spot open-Enter Brown? Anyway, thanks for the post.

Just wondering why would college kids today versus college kids of 20 or 30 years ago be having all these mental health issues and problems at home? Seems like almost everything is easier, softer, more thoughtful for kids today versus 30 years ago? Could provide many examples of how much different (yes easier) police training is today than 20 years ago. You either got it right back then or you were washed out.. bye bye. The military also could treat you pretty much how they wanted but not anymore today. Heck drill instructors can't even yell any swear words at recruits anymore.

So in your opinion what's causing all these mental health issues and problems with their home lives today?

Just wondering why would college kids today versus college kids of 20 or 30 years ago be having all these mental health issues and problems at home? Seems like almost everything is easier, softer, more thoughtful for kids today versus 30 years ago? Could provide many examples of how much different (yes easier) police training is today than 20 years ago. You either got it right back then or you were washed out.. bye bye. The military also could treat you pretty much how they wanted but not anymore today. Heck drill instructors can't even yell any swear words at recruits anymore.

So in your opinion what's causing all these mental health issues and problems with their home lives today?

One thing off the top of my head:. Social media.

I can tell you many of the young people I talked with have come from very unstable homes. The new normal seems to be chaos with boyfriends and girlfriends moving in and out sometimes with their kids. It has to be very difficult for Frost or anyone dealing with kids who have absolutely no idea ( their home life was stable and most importantly supportive) what these kids are dealing with in their personal life.
When you get to college and meet teammates who enjoy incredible support and you are struggling it’s a whole new world. It makes some even more homesick for the friends ( who understand them) back home.

I've struggled with this too. It seems we used to have kids family and friends all the time, but we called it 'Homesick', not a mental health issue. We had people struggle with playing time, and some got into a funk, but we usually called that 'pouting', not a mental health issue. We also had guys miss their girlfriends from back home, or who broke up with one on campus, but we called that 'lovesick', instead of a mental health issue. I distinctly recall a description known as the 'blues', but apparently, that too is known as a mental health issue today. My point is we had these problems, but we didn't label them the same, we didn't treat them the same, and we didn't give the kind of attention to those dealing with some of these very basic things that we do now. Just an opinion...now get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Strong push from Alum for Beckton to become H.C. Whether that is where he goes, either H.C. or some other capacity opens the T.E. coach spot open-Enter Brown? Anyway, thanks for the post.
No disrespect intended towards Ron Brown. But if Beckton is chosen as next UCF head coach, I think that you look also to an offer to Sean Snyder too.

With Snyder and Busch with his ST background (and in an analyst role) and perhaps HCSF taking a larger interest / role in special teams then I think you cure many of the ST woes.

No disrespect intended towards Ron Brown. But if Beckton is chosen as next UCF head coach, I think that you look also to an offer to Sean Snyder too.

With Snyder and Busch with his ST background (and in an analyst role) and perhaps HCSF taking a larger interest / role in special teams then I think you cure many of the ST woes.
Agreed. I don't see Brown in the role of assistant coach again. With Mohajir getting the AD position, I see him using one of his connections to go after a coach he's a little more familiar with. Most of the articles I've read speculating on possible HCs don't mention Beckton, so I'm not sure he's really a candidate. They have been a pretty good program for a while, and they've put money into it, so I'd be surprised if they don't look for someone with a stronger resume.

Last edited:

And makes good sense. Is Snyder available?

Look at the home life, or lack there of for starters?

My opinion has alot to do with what is acceptable today... when I was a kid I was all over the place all by myself... no cell phone... no quick answers if i was faced with any adverversity . I had to figure it out... if I did and it was the wrong choice rest assured I was held accountable. When I hit high school I had no curfew... parents always knew where I was at but my grades... my sports... my job were my responsibility.... most kids today are nothing like that... that to me is the answer.... also note that social media is a very harsh pill for these kids to deal with imo... really not healthy imo

One thing off the top of my head:. Social media.
Could you imagine being that age and never being able to get away from scrutiny? I hid wherever I could - library, bed, work. These kids bring the whole world with them wherever they go, and a lot of those environments are full of anonymous no-account avatars of other scared kids or creeps, which feel like peers to the kids. Can only tell them that the face-to-face people are the ones who count, and try to ignore the distractions.

No disrespect to Beckton but I cant really imagine he would be a head coaching candidate anywhere above a division two type of school. Has not done enough to be coach of UCF. With that said I do like what hes done for us to build that tight end room.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back