• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DiNardo on Scott Frost

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
I'm evaluated daily. And weekly. And monthly, as well as quarterly and annually. I'm also evaluated historically. But I'm not in the college football business.

Games aren't played every day, so you can't evaluate it that way. They are only played during a 4 month season. So you couldn't really apply that to a company. Unless it's a seasonal company. So you are saying you don't like a week to week evaluation of your football team. Why don't you just say that instead of an apples to oranges analogy.

What I proposed was a number of phases to consider as evaluation of progress. Not simply wait a few years, then look back and see what happened. That doesn't make any sense to me. But it makes sense to you, so ok. We can agree to disagree on that.

That's not what I meant. But we are 1/6th into this season. We need more data before we identify a trend.

I've only been focusing on the glaring problems. Nobody wants to see the 2 week pattern of big picture problems that are already in play. Heck, you guys get all pissy when I bring out the obvious stuff.

I haven't seen the use of waaaah in a long time. If ever. I'll leave you to your intelligent discussions.

And as for the bolded, there are numerous posts on here from individuals accepting loss. Not expecting to win. Look around. Don't ask me to show you because I'm not getting into that with you. You can find them for yourself.
Or maybe because they do not exist

It's ok. I won't push the issue anymore. I personally do see some who have lowered what I consider fair expectations to fit the long term rebuild. Ok. Now on to game #3. I'm hoping Frost can shut me up tonight.

I think you offer really good posts on most occasions and I look forward to many more. Sorry to be adversarial. Been cranky lately.

Last edited:
Rumor had it that Florida was ready to hire SF but would demand assistant changes our coach was unwilling to make. I knew nothing of these guys prior to Scott‘s hiring. He is obviously very loyal to those around him and trying to create some continuity.

So loyalty to the institution is a desired trait. Loyalty to individuals is less desired, and is often the downfall of some coaches, right? Billy C wasn't really a reviled character until he refused to get rid of Cosgrove. Nobody cared about throat-slash; most loved his pretty good offenses and QBs. But he was loyal to Cosgrove, not the Cornhuskers, and it was the main contributor to his being fired. You could say a similar thing about Urban Meyer at OSU. He didn't get fired because of it, but he in no way should have been loyal to the coach that was beating his wife or whatever was happening. You gotta know as the head dude something like that is going to put your company in bad publicity (if it gets out/around). There's plenty of good coaches to step into that role; he made his poor life choices - let him go and get a new coach so the institution doesn't get sullied.

I spent 26 years in the Air Force, and one of the big life lessons I learned is to be loyal to institution (the AF) and it's rules/customs/culture, not to individual people. If you do the first, you'll more often end up with the right people in the right places to lead.

So loyalty to the institution is a desired trait. Loyalty to individuals is less desired, and is often the downfall of some coaches, right? Billy C wasn't really a reviled character until he refused to get rid of Cosgrove. Nobody cared about throat-slash; most loved his pretty good offenses and QBs. But he was loyal to Cosgrove, not the Cornhuskers, and it was the main contributor to his being fired. You could say a similar thing about Urban Meyer at OSU. He didn't get fired because of it, but he in no way should have been loyal to the coach that was beating his wife or whatever was happening. You gotta know as the head dude something like that is going to put your company in bad publicity (if it gets out/around). There's plenty of good coaches to step into that role; he made his poor life choices - let him go and get a new coach so the institution doesn't get sullied.

I spent 26 years in the Air Force, and one of the big life lessons I learned is to be loyal to institution (the AF) and it's rules/customs/culture, not to individual people. If you do the first, you'll more often end up with the right people in the right places to lead.

No, Bill Callahan pretty much sucked as head coach. And most people saw it from the jump. Cosgrove just accelerated the process.
Now get your house in order.

Dabo was head coach starting in 2008. He didn’t get Chad Morris there until 2011. Venables didn’t arrive until 2012. If Frost needs to make staff changes in a few years to take a step forward, then he will. I’m not worried about it. These players need consistency right now. Let Scott build the program. We don’t need to run any coaches out of town.
Amen!!! This a thousand times!

It's interesting how time changes perception. You say people loved Callahan's offenses, but we're averaging more points per game this season than we ever did under Billy C.

Cosgrove wasn't the problem. Callahan was.

My thing is this team is 2-1 after nonconference play. They are a few plays away from being 3-0. The loss sucks, and it hasn't looked pretty at times, but I'm ok with where they are. I do believe this team will put it all together at some point this season.

It's interesting how time changes perception. You say people loved Callahan's offenses, but we're averaging more points per game this season than we ever did under Billy C.

Cosgrove wasn't the problem. Callahan was.

The tired trope that Callahan would have been successful if not for Cosgrove has been thoroughly debunked. Callahan was absolute GARBAGE in every aspect. Horrible culture, ridiculous scheme, incomprehensible roster management, unqualified/shady assistant coaches...pretty much the antithesis of Nebraska football. I can’t believe this still has to be pointed out 13 years later.

Yes it did take Dabo that long to win a national championship. But his first year 2009 he won nine games and his bowl game, including a win over #8 Miami.

His third year he won the ACC Championship and went to the Orange Bowl.

I'll take a conference championship next year, if Frost is on the same timeline.
me too, but The Dabster didn't have Ohio State in his conference.

I prefer inspirational quotes coming in the form of neck tattoos.
no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo-2663.jpg

me too, but The Dabster didn't have Ohio State in his conference.
yeah, there's a lot of reasons for a lot of things. Obviously we have to be better than Ohio State if we want to win a conference championship. That will take awhile. We first have to get past Iowa and Wisconsin and Northwestern and...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back