• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Difference Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

51st Ave. Husker

Recruit
5 Year Member
Who has the best chance of being a difference maker this year on defense? For the last two years it has been Levonte David and before him it was DeJuan Groce and Eric Hagg. I don't think this is a simple question of who else did well last year because changes in the scheme have a lot to do with who is depended upon to step up and make the play. I don't see a huge step up coming from the D-line unless it is Eric Martin or from the linebackers unless it is someone who hasn't played yet. This isn't saying I don't think we have great players at those positions, but I think they have been steady for so long that that is how they will finish. Corners don't have the responsibility in the middle of the field that a player has to assume in order to fill the roll of "difference maker" so I think it has to be a safety or someone moving into a Peso type role. I'd love to see Cory Cooper step up and be that guy, but I'm not sure he has enough of the coaches confidence to have them put him in that position.:2cents:

Who has the best chance of being a difference maker this year on defense? For the last two years it has been Levonte David and before him it was DeJuan Groce and Eric Hagg. I don't think this is a simple question of who else did well last year because changes in the scheme have a lot to do with who is depended upon to step up and make the play. I don't see a huge step up coming from the D-line unless it is Eric Martin or from the linebackers unless it is someone who hasn't played yet. This isn't saying I don't think we have great players at those positions, but I think they have been steady for so long that that is how they will finish. Corners don't have the responsibility in the middle of the field that a player has to assume in order to fill the roll of "difference maker" so I think it has to be a safety or someone moving into a Peso type role. I'd love to see Cory Cooper step up and be that guy, but I'm not sure he has enough of the coaches confidence to have them put him in that position.:2cents:

I think you might mean DeJon Gomes, though Groce was pretty fantastic for Frankie.

PS__ the answer to your question is Stafford.

Last edited:

The great thing about this team is they have talent at every skilled position. Even the analysts around the country saw this before last Saturday. Speed on the edge. Speed in the slot. Speed from the tight end position. Three tight ends with different skills. Running backs of all shapes and sizes. A quarterback with experience and an afterburner in his hip pocket if needed. Enough difference makers that it means defenses that over compensate and double teams someone leaves someone free. A defense that trys to stop the pass is vulnerable to the run. Stuff the box and you better have some defensive backs that can run and jump high because they get no help.

As for the defense the jury is out. We haven't seen some names yet. We have seen little of some great looking freshmen. The defenders had to learn many defenses and schemes and their heads hurt before the Southern miss game. It was probably a good lesson and they now have some skills, and observations they didn't have before. They most likely will not be as surprised when the next team shows something new or unexpected. Bo adjusted well and tightened the noose before the game ended. Three points in the second half. Good enough to have a top 25 defense after week one. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find a couple of difference makers on defense before the season is over. The two gap isn't about big plays as it is about containment and keeping them in front of you. Maybe slower to show a difference maker than the offense, but it is early.

Last edited:

Ciante Evans?

Alonso Whaley?

Eric Martin?

Cam Meredith?

Who's gonna step up and shine?

TO used to use that term a lot: difference maker.

Last edited:
Not sure if I missed something or if this is some kind of trick question, but Will Compton is the easy choice. He was clearly the best defensive player on the field this past Saturday - 12 tackles, including a TFL and a sack.

True on Compton but .... we need someone to put some pressure on the QB. Cameron Meredith IMO has to step it up!

Last edited:

Hopefully one of the LB's, and I dont think it will be the starters from Saturday. I am gonna say Anderson

Stafford is the anointed one. He needs to pick up his game as well.

I get the feeling our D was a little too hyped up. Many not breaking down, not staying home, etc.. Way too many overrun tackles and whiffs across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back