• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Did Finebaum Say Something We Can Agree on?

I’m more interested in someone reliably telling us WHEN Notre Dame will join a conference. If the Big 10 invitation is still viable, it’s hard to fathom them joining the SEC instead. Its hard to list the last 3 games they’ve played vs the SEC off the top of my head. But games vs Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, even Nebraska are easy to recall.

Not sure if the money could work, but culturally the ACC makes sense after the Big 10 before the SEC is conceivable.

Is Notre Dame still in Evaluation Mode regarding the current invitation, or have they declined again until the next time?

IIRC, Notre Dame has surrendered their media rights to the ACC in all sports except football until sometime in the mid-2030s. They remain remain independent in football. Are we looking at the possibility of a school having membership in two differenct conferences, B1G in football, ACC in every other sport?

Last edited:

IIRC, Notre Dame has surrendered their media rights to the ACC in all sports except football until sometime in the mid-2030s. They remain remain independent in football. Are we looking at the possibility of a school having membership in two differenct conferences, B1G in football, ACC in every other sport?
The article linked in the OP mentions the Notre-Dame / ACC deal. But I'd read elsewhere (maybe it was The Athletic) that Notre Dame did NOT have part in the same long-term media rights commitment that the rest of the ACC has, regarding the rest of their sports. I don't know who is right.

I’m more interested in someone reliably telling us WHEN Notre Dame will join a conference. If the Big 10 invitation is still viable, it’s hard to fathom them joining the SEC instead. Its hard to list the last 3 games they’ve played vs the SEC off the top of my head. But games vs Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, even Nebraska are easy to recall.

Not sure if the money could work, but culturally the ACC makes sense after the Big 10 before the SEC is conceivable.

Is Notre Dame still in Evaluation Mode regarding the current invitation, or have they declined again until the next time?
They will likely never join the SEC because their academic side won't allow it. They don't "need" the money either but I've heard from some pretty good sources that their professors want the money and access to research opportunities that exist in the B1G.

I think they join the B1G before the new rights are negotiated.

Does it really matter? As @Cornjob said, perhaps the GOR is not as extensive for ND as it is for other ACC schools due to their non-football alignment. Even if it is, however, is it really that much of a deal-breaker? Outside of men's basketball, would the B1G really care if media rights to ND's non-football sports (home games only) belonged to someone other than BTN and/or Fox (or whoever pays the big bucks for the next contract)? There isn't nearly as much money (or interest) in those events. The B1G could say that's OK, we'll take you, bring you into the conference for everything, and just waive the media rights to the other sports until the 2030s (or whenever), or pay the fines associated with those sports (again, not much in the grand scheme of things). Men's BB would be the one sport with some value, but it pales in comparison to football-related rights.

I may actually agree with all of his takes in this article.

I think he's explaining it to the "SEC! SEC! SEC!" crowd. It's incomprehensible to any of them that other conferences would have the temerity to even try to compete with them, and inconceivable that they aren't the preferred destination for every college football team, and the AFC South conference.

Last edited:

247/sports

Notre Dame's options include leaving for the Big Ten in 2024 and paying the ACC's exit fee — which is estimated in the range of $100 million (or equal to three times the ACC's most recent annual revenue) — or the Fighting Irish could stay put and determine what their next TV contract would fetch once the current deal with NBC expires in 2025. Notre Dame is the most attractive expansion pawn left on college football's realignment table and the Fighting Irish know it.

What I'm thinking about is a third option. Since ND is independent in football, could they could join the BIG in football and stay in the ACC for everything else, thus avoiding the exit fee?

IMO, ND is going to sit it out until they either sign another contract with NBC (or perhaps another network?) or until negotiations break down. If they don't get a contract comparable to a potential B1G payout, they'll jump to the B1G. That leaves the B1G with somewhat of a condundrum. With ND in the fold, their TV contract would be more lucrative. Without ND, ND's new contract with NBC might be closer to the B1G payout and would be worth staying independent for.

247/sports

What I'm thinking about is a third option. Since ND is independent in football, could they could join the BIG in football and stay in the ACC for everything else, thus avoiding the exit fee?

IMO, ND is going to sit it out until they either sign another contract with NBC (or perhaps another network?) or until negotiations break down. If they don't get a contract comparable to a potential B1G payout, they'll jump to the B1G. That leaves the B1G with somewhat of a condundrum. With ND in the fold, their TV contract would be more lucrative. Without ND, ND's new contract with NBC might be closer to the B1G payout and would be worth staying independent for.
I doubt it. The B1G has leverage here as they're the best option for ND and everyone knows it. The B1G wants all the sports.

I think ND to the ACC is the only thing that will save that conference and the window is closing. The top end of that conference is ripe for being pilfered. It’s just a Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State or Miami being plucked away from setting up an avalanche of departures.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back