• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Deontre Thomas

It is probably irrelevant most of the time, but occasionally a D lineman chases a guy from behind or to the sideline. I’d rather have a 4.8 guy than a 5.5.
Maybe someone knows the answer to this, but wouldn’t his quickness running be related to how quick he penetrates, uses his hands etc.?
The 40-yard dash doesn't tell us a lot about big linemen, except that if they do have a great time, they're probably extremely athletic. There are war daddies like Vince Wilfork who ran a 5.08 second 40-yard dash, but that didn't really foretell how quick and overpowering he was as an NFL Noseguard for the Patriots. For linemen, it doesn't matter if you have to time their 40-yard dash with a calendar, if they're quicker than the guy across from him in that first step, he'll win in the trenches more often than not, assuming that he has the size, strength, technique, etc. DEs have to cover more space than a NG, but it's still not like a DE in the 4-3, who have to get out in space and even cover RBs coming late out of the backfield.

Do you think the volleyball team has been letting him use the squat machines? :Stirthepot:
tenor.gif

The 40-yard dash doesn't tell us a lot about big linemen, except that if they do have a great time, they're probably extremely athletic. There are war daddies like Vince Wilfork who ran a 5.08 second 40-yard dash, but that didn't really foretell how quick and overpowering he was as an NFL Noseguard for the Patriots. For linemen, it doesn't matter if you have to time their 40-yard dash with a calendar, if they're quicker than the guy across from him in that first step, he'll win in the trenches more often than not, assuming that he has the size, strength, technique, etc. DEs have to cover more space than a NG, but it's still not like a DE in the 4-3, who have to get out in space and even cover RBs coming late out of the backfield.

Agree, a 40 yard dash doesn't say much about a defensive lineman at all, just that big guys who can run are usually pretty darned athletic

There was someone associated with the Steelers a few years back that put out some information on analyzing the explosiveness of DE's and rush-LB's. He started with the vertical jump, but think he had some other metrics he'd look at also -- sort of a size/explosiveness index that would indicate if a guy had the quick twitch to get by blockers.

It's harder to evaluate for DT's, I think, although I assume any DT with a decent vertical and shuttle for their bulk is probably pretty athletic. At the extreme end you have guys like Suh - 307 lbs, 4.44 shuttle, 35 1/2" vertical, AND 4.98 40. Wilfork's a good NT example. Like you said, fast 40, but also did a 4.5 SS, but only a 26 1/2" vertical (hard to get 340 lbs that far off the ground ;) ), and anyways, the need there is first and foremost to anchor and control

Agree, a 40 yard dash doesn't say much about a defensive lineman at all, just that big guys who can run are usually pretty darned athletic

There was someone associated with the Steelers a few years back that put out some information on analyzing the explosiveness of DE's and rush-LB's. He started with the vertical jump, but think he had some other metrics he'd look at also -- sort of a size/explosiveness index that would indicate if a guy had the quick twitch to get by blockers.

It's harder to evaluate for DT's, I think, although I assume any DT with a decent vertical and shuttle for their bulk is probably pretty athletic. At the extreme end you have guys like Suh - 307 lbs, 4.44 shuttle, 35 1/2" vertical, AND 4.98 40. Wilfork's a good NT example. Like you said, fast 40, but also did a 4.5 SS, but only a 26 1/2" vertical (hard to get 340 lbs that far off the ground ;) ), and anyways, the need there is first and foremost to anchor and control
Vertical leap is considered a measurement for explosiveness. @ShortSideOption can go into this in detail.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back