• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Deondre Jackson Will Not Attend NU

I get that we didn't just sign a sure fire 2022 Heisman candidate, but I don't understand the need to immediately downgrade the kid?

Welcome to Nebraska, Deondre.

Yeah, while the Joe Burrow comparison is the most outlandish thing I've ever read, Deondre Jackson could be a valuable contributor, as the running back room is wide open. I'm happy to have him in Lincoln. :Corn2:

Sometimes a change in scenery is all a guy needs to shine. Joe Burrow is a great example, Avery Roberts is another. AR failed to get much traction at NU, transferred and became all conference as a Beaver. What we don't know is did the humbling of not achieving star status at their previous school fuel their fire and propel them to new higher levels of performance?

Deondre Jackson seems to be plenty motivated from what I have read. What I know from personal experience is belief in ones self is one of the cornerstones of success, I'm getting the sense that DJ has that in spades. I ran across an article earlier this morning that illustrates my point. While there is no way to know what level of success Jackson might reach as a 'Husker, discounting the young man as a player and a person is rash and foolhardy.

From walk on to National Champ:

Last edited:
Yeah, while the Joe Burrow comparison is the most outlandish thing I've ever read, Deondre Jackson could be a valuable contributor, as the running back room is wide open. I'm happy to have him in Lincoln. :Corn2:
Get over yourself with the Burrow comparison.

Jackson is a good get for the ripening back room. We have a good group of diversified running backs for some good completion.

Welcome Deondre.

Wasn't Rahmir Johnson like 4th or 5th on our depth chart?

Let it play out.

Hope we don't lose Yant.
Yep and yep and yep.

Just as Yant was getting the playbook down, a new OC comes in! But Whip is gonna take one look at that big boy and find some plays for him, I hope.

It will be interesting to see the criteria for the skill guys getting on the field under Whipple. I know that in the past, players never saw game time until they had reached a certain mastery in all aspects of their position. Will that policy continue, or will there be some "bit players" who get in situationally?

Yep and yep and yep.

Just as Yant was getting the playbook down, a new OC comes in! But Whip is gonna take one look at that big boy and find some plays for him, I hope.

It will be interesting to see the criteria for the skill guys getting on the field under Whipple. I know that in the past, players never saw game time until they had reached a certain mastery in all aspects of their position. Will that policy continue, or will there be some "bit players" who get in situationally?
Yant has to put in the work. I am sure he knows that. Even being exposed to Ron Brown for a short time means he knows. All the backs need to improve on pass protection. Hopefully the new coach will have a strong voice to get people’s attention.

Last edited:
Sir, I think that is only your wild @$$ leap / conjecture from what was previously posted.

There is a lot of roster churning right now in Lincoln and across the landscape of CFB. All I can do is root for them to assemble the best 85 possible and for who's on the roster when they arrive in Ireland. GBR!

I didn't bring up the Rozier comparison. It's only valid in that neither started their career in Lincoln.

You convince yourself the kid can't play a lick and I'll wait to see what happens. You understand there is nothing wrong with welcoming an incoming playing without reminding everyone he has 3 carries for 13 yards?
Crab, I am convinced of nothing about the young man, except that his body of work is very small.

I am trying to do two things:
1. Understand the tremendous zeal with which you and others embrace what is basically an unknown quantity, who on paper are so similar to the young men like Morrison who have left us.
2. Trying to point out that we as fans seem to embrace the unknown, like Christmas presents unopened under the tree, rather than the things (or players) we already have.
Its a strange phenomena to me.......

GBR

Crab, I am convinced of nothing about the young man, except that his body of work is very small.

I am trying to do two things:
1. Understand the tremendous zeal with which you and others embrace what is basically an unknown quantity, who on paper are so similar to the young men like Morrison who have left us.
2. Trying to point out that we as fans seem to embrace the unknown, like Christmas presents unopened under the tree, rather than the things (or players) we already have.
Its a strange phenomena to me.......

GBR

Point out my ‘zeal’.

I welcomed him to the program. Nothing more.

If people get excited about a kid, what’s the harm?

If they say he’s going to be an all conference player, win a major award and lead a Nebraska to a conference or national title, I understand the call to pump the brakes.

• I'm also happy to have a new RB in the room
  • I'm hopeful that he will at worst add competition and at best have a breakout season - he does have potential
  • I also realize I was excited to add Markese Stepp last season and though he played did not meet expectations
  • I understand the Joe Burrow comparison skepticism given the high unlikelihood of that sort of outlier Heisman level result
  • I understand that sometimes very, very good players can get buried at top schools and shine later when given a chance (PS - I think both Scott and Morrison could shine elsewhere - they are good young backs)
  • I see so much skepticism of players stats when they are Freshman, Sophomores, forgetting that many players don't break through until older
  • I will hold all this loosely and hope for the best! GBR!

Point out my ‘zeal’.

I welcomed him to the program. Nothing more.

If people get excited about a kid, what’s the harm?

If they say he’s going to be an all conference player, win a major award and lead a Nebraska to a conference or national title, I understand the call to pump the brakes.
People note or lament losing the other 2 RBs, so Mr Jacksons one of their replacements.
With shortened seasons, potentially getting sick etc, its really hard to read each team, its staff as they went through covid.

I'm like you, welcome the guy in with open arms, hope for the best, but putting qualifiers on anyone over this stretch is, well a stretch.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back