• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Dennard struggling at Senior Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozz

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
CB Alfonzo Dennard of Nebraska leaves Mobile with a draft grade much lower than when he arrived. Dennard was stiff and struggled all week. The projected first-rounder was beaten by receivers who are likely last-day picks. While it's a bit premature, some scouts on hand say Dennard may have to move inside to safety, a thought that could further depress his draft stock.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l.practice.wednesday/index.html#ixzz1kgEtjVLR

Wonder if this has anything to do with the injury, coaching, or just a case of a player having a (really) bad week........

I think his confidence may have been rattled a bit this season with the staff changes.

To quote Allen Iverson, "Practice? We talkin' bout practice, man." What does a day or two of practice tell anyone? Maybe AD isn't a good practice guy? Maybe, due to the drills they were running, he wasn't allowed to be physical with the WR? That's ADs game - to jam the WR and be very physical with him. Doesn't make much difference to me that he had 2 days that were "below standard" according to one guy... but he has at least 3 years of tape proving otherwise. If his stock falls that much because of a few practice days, someone is going to get a steal in the later rounds.

The guy also had a lot of praise for LD making plays in the backfield and covering well which is what we all expect, but still, its practice.

To quote Allen Iverson, "Practice? We talkin' bout practice, man." What does a day or two of practice tell anyone? Maybe AD isn't a good practice guy? Maybe, due to the drills they were running, he wasn't allowed to be physical with the WR? That's ADs game - to jam the WR and be very physical with him. Doesn't make much difference to me that he had 2 days that were "below standard" according to one guy... but he has at least 3 years of tape proving otherwise. If his stock falls that much because of a few practice days, someone is going to get a steal in the later rounds.

The guy also had a lot of praise for LD making plays in the backfield and covering well which is what we all expect, but still, its practice.

+1000

I'll never understand NFL scouting. They've got 2 seasons of film of Dennard playing really good football, and yet, it's 1 week of workouts in non-game situations that makes his draft stock fall? I always thought people were praising him a bit too much when declaring Dennard a for-sure 1st rounder, but I find it hard to believe that 1 week's worth of workouts is that detrimental to his draft status.

I'll never understand NFL scouting. They've got 2 seasons of film of Dennard playing really good football, and yet, it's 1 week of workouts in non-game situations that makes his draft stock fall? I always thought people were praising him a bit too much when declaring Dennard a for-sure 1st rounder, but I find it hard to believe that 1 week's worth of workouts is that detrimental to his draft status.

I understand what you are saying and you are not incorrect about game performance involving a lot more than just the measurables a scout sees in tryouts. But at the S.B. workouts, the coaches really work the players against each other, so all the scouts/coaches on hand can see what the players have got. In the case of a DB, he is out there defending against receivers over and over again. If a player doesn't have the speed, or size, or strength, that is going to work against him in the draft, even if he found ways to get the job done in college games. Pro teams will take the bigger, stronger, faster guy that also found a way to get the job done in college games. That's just the way it works.

Last edited:
I had read early in the week that he was doing well when they let him hit the receiver and play a physical coverage. He is not a pure speed CB and never will be. He will do well when he can play his style of Defense. I don’t think the SR Bowl let him hit receivers off the line.

The "lowering his stock" comments become cliche with a lot of these "pros" when talking about a kid not performing well at a particular practice. Truthfully, his stock doesn't go down unless the (NFL) teams looking at him feels he isn't the athlete they want to waste a draft pick on. Dennard has been suffering from an injury since early fall and never played at 100% this year. Any ground this writer "claims" he lost after a couple practices also can be gained come time for the combine and such. There are countless guys who didn't perform stellar in a Senior bowl but still were able to get a decent selection come draft because of the combine workouts and tests. Some guys decide not to participate in the Senior Bowls and Shrine Bowls, etc... due to it not helping much with their stock. Usually guys who are "under appreciated" for the lack of a better reference, are the ones who attempt to raise the level of awareness surrounding their abilities in these games.

we all know that the NFL draft is an exact science and the scouts rarely get it wrong. Dennard may have a chance after the draft comes and goes to get a private work out with a team or two.

:sarcasm:

The "lowering his stock" comments become cliche with a lot of these "pros" when talking about a kid not performing well at a particular practice. Truthfully, his stock doesn't go down unless the (NFL) teams looking at him feels he isn't the athlete they want to waste a draft pick on. Dennard has been suffering from an injury since early fall and never played at 100% this year. Any ground this writer "claims" he lost after a couple practices also can be gained come time for the combine and such. There are countless guys who didn't perform stellar in a Senior bowl but still were able to get a decent selection come draft because of the combine workouts and tests. Some guys decide not to participate in the Senior Bowls and Shrine Bowls, etc... due to it not helping much with their stock. Usually guys who are "under appreciated" for the lack of a better reference, are the ones who attempt to raise the level of awareness surrounding their abilities in these games.

This is what I was thinking. Yeah, his "stock" dropped in the opinion of the writer, and maybe some NFL scouts, but all it take is one team to really like Dennard's style, for him to be a 1st rounder.

This is what I was thinking. Yeah, his "stock" dropped in the opinion of the writer, and maybe some NFL scouts, but all it take is one team to really like Dennard's style, for him to be a 1st rounder.

that's how a lot of these workouts and evaluations are. One example would be Bama's Mark Ingram ('11 Draft) and OU's Gerald McCoy ('10)......neither were the best player at their position according to numbers at the combine (Gerald was out shined heavily by Suh while Ingram was being mentioned as lazy and a bit out of shape) yet both were taken in the first round to teams that wanted them apart of their franchise badly.

Fonz went "blow for blow" with one of the premiere WRs in college football in the bowl game :) He will be fine come draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back