• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Demariyon Houston enters the portal

Somehow, I cant see Yant in the duck-r role.

If we are worried about the duck-r in 2021 then we don't have a winning season.

Our future hopes are tied to a down hill running game, controlled passing game with 70+ percent completions to our big receivers both WR and TE corps.

We finally have a O-line that can compete in the BiG that can make the above happen, so no more scheming, just fundamental football, combined with hopefully much improved special teams play and 6-8 wins is doable.

Do it the old fashion way, "earn it" (E F Hutton flash back :) ).

Duck-r is NOT required to make that happen, in fact takes away from the changed philosophy that is needed and outlined above.

GBR

Last edited:
He may be in trouble for playing time, but it's really hard to tell right now. Nobody has really separated themselves yet, so he probably has at least a puncher's chance.

I agree that RB is typically a position where you probably know what you have within the first couple of years, so maybe he's not going to break through. Then again, we had Mills entrenched as our #1, and when he was banged up we seemed hellbent on using Robinson. I don't know the reasons behind that, especially because he wasn't a particularly effective running back.

But that's why I'm saying Robinson's departure might be good for a guy like Johnson. It'll be up to him to take advantage of it. If he doesn't, so be it. I just think it's a little early to predict a transfer this spring. Could it happen? Sure... we've all seen stranger things. I hope he sticks it out, though.
I hear what you are saying. I try not to overanalyze too much with it for where my opinion lies. Just looking at the surface with the facts we know, he was on portal watch for me (before his coach came) because he was healthy all last year, had less carries than a guy like Scott III who was injured, and when our starter went down we moved Robinson to RB and didn't insert him. That's before you have Ervin and Stepp on the roster for this year, Scott III returns, and if Morrison/Thompkins can be healthy. Even walk-ons like Yant, Harris, and Jewett are getting more run. Say all that and then remember he sat out the entire spring so he didn't do anything to help his cause and I would say he's 5th at best heading into fall camp entering year 3 with first year guys in front of him.

Not insurmountable, just a lot of ground to make up. I still think you see his name in the portal.

As I recall the "good old days" we had 125 recruits plus walk ons every year. And I am told by players of those years that there were plenty of pills in the dressing rooms and a lot of players never went to classes. They were running three or more full units, offense and defense, at the same time in practice. For every player on those third or fourth units in practice that made playing time before graduation, there were 20 that didn't. Those guys never got the thrill of playing on Saturday before fans and folderall. And many of their opponents had the same schemes and numbers.

So comparing now with how things used to be is really comparing two eras that cannot be compared on such things as transfers, waiting for your break, etc. In a sense, the portal is giving permission to those kids to move on now who in the good old days would have been fodder for better players their entire college careers. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

There are exceptions in which a guy realizes he's a good player but is playing on a team that pro scouts only glance at, and they understand, one way or another, that they can play for a team that gets into the Playoffs and gets better coaching, better players around him, and a leg up on draft day by entering the portal. You already can see some of the better teams enriching themselves through use of the portal in this way. We better wise up, although I'm not sure we are a destination team for quality players just now.

Last edited:
So to clear things up for us slow minded people who grew up with Split End, flanker, and wingback. The Duck R seems similar to the wingback of yesteryear (johnny rodgers?) and the Duck z would be a flanker(not on the line-but could be in the slot instead of outside like say...well Tim Brown, or smallish wideout who could get jammed too easily).
Mostly "yes," but some "It depends," would be my response: it depends so much on offensive scheme, personnel, and formation.

In most current offenses, the Y is the TE, and the X is the Split-End. Since almost nobody runs 3-RB offenses anymore, the 3rd WR is usually called the Z, though he could be either a WB/FL in Osborne's offense, a Slot-WR in a 2-Wide, or a do-it-all chess piece in offenses that run multiple formations with the same personnel, e.g. Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, Rondale Moore, et al. If you haven't coached or played a lot of football, It's actually a good game-watching strategy for fans to find and follow the Z when trying to understand what went right/wrong on almost any big play. He's the guy who most often goes in motion as he's not lined up on the Line of Scrimmage, and both the QB and OC are watching how defenses line up and match up against him to figure out where their best matchups will be.

The XYZ system came out of the West Coast offense as they almost always lined up in 21 Personnel, which meant 2 RBs and 1 TE. With 5 OL + a QB, that left 2 WRs. If a team kept the 2 RBs but either flexed out the TE or had 2 Split-Ends, it was a bit more complicated, but Y still worked to cover everybody.... But what do we call the 4th guy in a 4-WR formation when we drop a RB? This is where the Duck-R comes in for Frost and Nebraska.

Mouse Davis and the Run-and-Shoot was the first popular offense with 4 WRs and only 1 RB. It was mostly considered a gadget offense, so it didn't really have much effect on the terms and names for any other offenses. It was the rise of Dennis Erickson's single-RB offense in the late 80s and the rise of the Air Raid in the late 90s that made it an almost universal problem for naming that 4th guy, especially when/if he moved around a lot in different formations. If he was usually moving back and forth between TE and a bigger WB who mostly blocked but occasionally caught passes, John Robinson and the Rams had called that guy (Mike Guman) an H, and in some places that stuck when they began sliding him out farther. Since W was the most logical choice to use when added to XYZ--yet I'm not aware of anybody using it--I assume that it was too complicated to use that since we already had a "W" in WR and WB, though it still makes the most sense to me. In offenses that used some 2RB formations and some 4-WR formations, R was used to designate the guy who moved back and forth. I think that this was common in the Pacific Northwest (which is where all but the Air Raid were born), so it makes sense that Chip Kelly at Oregon would call that guy the Duck-R. Since Frost learned it there, it stuck in his offense all of the way until now.

Guys like Wan'Dale and Will Nixon were recruited specifically for that position, though there's no reason why the Duck-R couldn't be a physically bigger player. Faster is always better, but he can be a slightly smaller RB as he'll almost always be teamed up with a bigger RB when he's in the backfield, so the bigger back can do the more traditional FB role while the Duck-R can be the speed back for counters and outside runs. Ideally, the Duck-R is enough of a running threat that defenses keep a LB on the field to help against the run, which makes the ideal mismatch when a LB has to cover him in space as a Slot-WR.

Toure is a Z. Nixon and Alante are Duck-Rs. Rahmir is a RB who can play Duck-R.

Last edited:
Mostly "yes," but some "It depends," would be my response: it depends so much on offensive scheme, personnel, and formation.

In most current offenses, the Y is the TE, and the X is the split bend. Since almost nobody runs 3-RB offenses anymore, the 3rd WR is usually called the Z, though he could be either a WB/FL in Osborne's offense, a Slot-WR in a 2-Wide, or a do-it-all chess piece in offenses that run multiple formations with the same personnel, e.g. Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, Rondale Moore, et al. If you haven't coached or played a lot of football, It's actually a good game-watching strategy for fans to find and follow the Z when trying to understand what went right/wrong on almost any big play. He's the guy who most often goes in motion as he's not lined up on the Line of Scrimmage, and both the QB and OC are watching how defenses line up and match up against him to figure out where their best matchups will be.

The XYZ system came out of the West Coast offense as they almost always lined up in 21 Personnel, which meant 2 RBs and 1 TE. With 5 OL + a QB, that left 2 WRs. If a team kept the 2 RBs but either flexed out the TE or had 2 Split-Ends, it was a bit more complicated, but Y still worked to cover everybody.... But what do we call the 4th guy in a 4-WR formation when we drop a RB? This is where the Duck-R comes in for Frost and Nebraska.

Mouse Davis and the Run-and-Shoot was the first popular offense with 4 WRs and only 1 RB. It was mostly considered a gadget offense, so it didn't really have much effect on the terms and names for any other offenses. It was the rise of Dennis Erickson's single-RB offense in the late 80s and the rise of the Air Raid in the late 90s that made it an almost universal problem for naming that 4th guy, especially when/if he moved around a lot in different formations. If he was usually moving back and forth between TE and a bigger WB who mostly blocked but occasionally caught passes, John Robinson and the Rams had called that guy (Mike Guman) an H, and in some places that stuck when they began sliding him out farther. Since W was the most logical choice to use when added to XYZ--yet I'm not aware of anybody using it--I assume that it was too complicated to use that since we already had a "W" in WR and WB, though it still makes the most sense to me. In offenses that used some 2RB formations and some 4-WR formations, R was used to designate the guy who moved back and forth. I think that this was common in the Pacific Northwest (which is where all but the Air Raid were born), so it makes sense that Chip Kelly at Oregon would call that guy the Duck-R. Since Frost learned it there, it stuck in his offense all of the way until now.

Guys like Wan'Dale and Will Nixon were recruited specifically for that position, though there's no reason why the Duck-R couldn't be bigger. Faster is always better, but he can be a slightly smaller RB as he'll almost always be teamed up with a bigger RB when he's in the backfield, so the bigger back can do the more traditional FB role while the Duck-R can be the speed back for counters and outside runs. Ideally, the Duck-R is enough of a running threat that defenses keep a LB on the field to help against the run, which makes the ideal mismatch when a LB has to cover him in space as a Slot-WR.

Toure is a Z. Nixon and Alante are Duck-Rs. Rahmir is a RB who can play Duck-R.

Good stuff

Really nice tutorial

If we are worried about the duck-r in 2021 then we don't have a winning season.

Our future hopes are tied to a down hill running game, controlled passing game with 70+ percent completions to our big receivers both WR and TE corps.

We finally have a O-line that can compete in the BiG that can make the above happen, so no more scheming, just fundamental football, combined with hopefully much improved special teams play and 6-8 wins is doable.

Do it the old fashion way, "earn it" (E F Hutton flash back :) ).

Duck-r is NOT required to make that happen, in fact takes away from the changed philosophy that is needed and outlined above.

GBR
I agree duck-r doesnt seem as important now, but someone in another thread was talking going I formation every once in awhile, as an offspeed curve ball, and so too is the duck-r position.
Having the opposing D respecting all things even though your main plays arent a healthy mix of a duck-r, the threat is there, and it can be used in many ways, if the other elements are there too, of which we were lacking.
The importance of having that down hill run game is of the utmost, and so is the downfield pass game, but once thats established, eliminating a third or a fourth approach could be just limiting yourself.
Remember, even our paltry showing on O was mainly due to inconsistency, penalty and turnover, or, shooting ourselves in the foot, and that included having the duck-r .

We need to clean up those drive killers, be better when we still need a third and long, not turn the ball over, and hit them with everything weve got.

The portal is really a sign of the times imo. I like flexibility when there is coaching change or philosophy change. These kids caught up in those situations should have an out. As for how the portal is today, I'm not a fan. Shows no intestinal fortitude and a lack of commitment to tuck tail and run. These kids should sit. Grad transfers I'm all for. Clearly they took care of business and deserve the opportunity to make one last move since it may help them get their masters.
One of the only things I like about the portal is that in pre-portal days, if you had a schollie player who just wasn't going to play, you were "stuck" with him (not trying to sound mean here) until he left. Think of the Bo recruited DT named Guy. Played like 4 snaps in 5 years. Ate up a schollie for 5 years (maybe it was 4, he may have left after 4 years). Now? They bail, opening up that schollie. But again, that is one of the only things I like about it. Why? Cause for every "Guy" that leaves via the portal, you have a WanDale or a Spielman that leave, too. Plus, like has been mentioned previously, it allows players to give up on themselves during a tough time. I am 3rd string and am behind 2 younger players? Screw that, portal time. In the old days where you worked your rear off to prove to the coaches, and, more importantly, to yourself, that you could play. If you still don't play or play much, at least you found it in yourself to gut through a tough tough and build character. Call it "intestinal fortification" building. Of course, some players properly use the portal, like when a coaching change is made and a totally different scheme is brought in that you don't fit, then that's another reason I like the portal for the players. But for most, it is all about instant gratification.

I think starting next year it will slow down a bit once a bunch of kids get left out without a scholarship. I think this year is unique because of Covid and it being the first year of no restrictions. Guys will always transfer, I just don't think it will be this many.
Yes people will always transfer. If they don’t make kids sit out for a year, it won’t stop. W O a penalty, kids will leave at will. It’s simple, if they have to sit out a year, it will slow, if not, it will continue.

This staff recruits a lot of APBs, so we should use them.
Its what the coaches want, guys that can do it all, without subbing,just another advantage to have.
In a game, you get a mismatch, you can lock it in, hurt the D a few times that way, they may change next time, and then you do something altogether different..

Houston wasnt a spectacular wr, and couldnt help us during a very obvious needed time.
He likely will find a better fit, and we will find a better fit

Yes people will always transfer. If they don’t make kids sit out for a year, it won’t stop. W O a penalty, kids will leave at will. It’s simple, if they have to sit out a year, it will slow, if not, it will continue.

It will continue, but when kids are left out to dry without a scholarship, you will see less kids enter the portal going forward

I always loved Demariyon Houston's film but for some reason he never made a serious threat for playing time here.

Colleges are just going to have to adapt. Kids will be coming and going yearly. Might be something to that. I’m not sure how that’s going to pan out. All I know is what we’re seeing. Use them, or they will leave.
I said in another thread that as more and more kids fail to get picked up. Kids will start to think before entering the portal. Right now it is still the shiny new dime of hope.

I said in another thread that as more and more kids fail to get picked up. Kids will start to think before entering the portal. Right now it is still the shiny new dime of hope.
Maybe, but if you’re a power 5 recruit, you will find a landing spot at an FCS, or lower division school most often, at minimum. And if you do suck that bad, and are that dumb to give up your scholarship somewhere to try to go somewhere else, maybe you deserve to have none available. Consequences. As for the lower tier kids, you could be right. As long as there is no penalty, it will continue.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back