• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Demariyon Houston enters the portal

Also wonder the outlook of the Duck-R and its lifespan moving forward. If Frost keeps it I cannot see Toure carrying the ball out of the backfield. But I could see Johnson or Nixon in that capacity. The position could blossom as an option within the offense rather than making it the focus, ala Wandale. Who knows?

Also wonder the outlook of the Duck-R and its lifespan moving forward. If Frost keeps it I cannot see Toure carrying the ball out of the backfield. But I could see Johnson or Nixon in that capacity. The position could blossom as an option within the offense rather than making it the focus, ala Wandale. Who knows?

Toure plays Slot, but I think it's more of a Z, a traditional WR. When we go Double-Slot, the 2nd Slot-Wr is usually called the Duck-R. There's a lot of overlap, but the Z is rarely used as anything other than a Slot-WR, but the Duck-R goes back and forth between being a 2nd RB or another WR.

Last edited:

Toure plays Slot, but I think it's more of a Z, a traditional WR. When we go Double-Slot, the 2nd Slot-Wr is usually called the Duck-R. There's a lot of overlap, but the Z is rarely used as anything other than a Slot-WR, but the Duck-R goes back and forth between being a 2nd RB or another WR.
That clears up things a little bit. As far as I'm concerned I don't care who's on the field. We have enough athletes now just get them the ball in space and let them make plays. Nothing would change peoples mind faster than seeing Johnson take a swing pass in the flat and taking it to the house.

That clears up things a little bit. As far as I'm concerned I don't care who's on the field. We have enough athletes now just get them the ball in space and let them make plays. Nothing would change peoples mind faster than seeing Johnson take a swing pass in the flat and taking it to the house.

Assuming he stays, he'll play mostly Duck-R and some RB. When he lines up as the sole RB, he's a matchup problem as he can go in motion, and then a LB has to cover him in space. We did that with him several times last year, but the passes were consistently poorer, or a key block was missed. Like you said, if he catches those in open field, he's gone.

Last edited:
Assuming he stays, he'll play mostly Duck-R and some RB. When he lines up as the sole RB, he's a matchup problem as he can go in motion, and then a LB has to cover him in space. We did that with him several times last year, but the passes were consistently poorer a key block was missed. Like you said, if he catches those in open field, he's gone.

Yup

I think Rahmir is in trouble for playing time personally.

If Toure is who we want at Duck-R instead of Robinson I don’t think that bodes well for Johnson doing anything at that spot.

I do agree that we are too early to write off Johnson, but typically you see something by year 2 at the latest if you are going to have a contributor at RB. Ozigbo is the anomaly. He’s on my transfer watch but with his coach coming to help in Lincoln we may have fended it off another year.
He may be in trouble for playing time, but it's really hard to tell right now. Nobody has really separated themselves yet, so he probably has at least a puncher's chance.

I agree that RB is typically a position where you probably know what you have within the first couple of years, so maybe he's not going to break through. Then again, we had Mills entrenched as our #1, and when he was banged up we seemed hellbent on using Robinson. I don't know the reasons behind that, especially because he wasn't a particularly effective running back.

But that's why I'm saying Robinson's departure might be good for a guy like Johnson. It'll be up to him to take advantage of it. If he doesn't, so be it. I just think it's a little early to predict a transfer this spring. Could it happen? Sure... we've all seen stranger things. I hope he sticks it out, though.

1620537651497.gif

So to clear things up for us slow minded people who grew up with Split End, flanker, and wingback. The Duck R seems similar to the wingback of yesteryear (johnny rodgers?) and the Duck z would be a flanker(not on the line-but could be in the slot instead of outside like say...well Tim Brown, or smallish wideout who could get jammed too easily).

It leads me to wonder about coaching approaches such as running an offense that is easy to learn with a short barrier to playing, as opposed to a large playbook that takes a couple years to master. If you know you’re going to be in an environment with high attrition and opportunity to acquire skilled scheme-ignorant players, do you change your schemes?
Colleges are just going to have to adapt. Kids will be coming and going yearly. Might be something to that. I’m not sure how that’s going to pan out. All I know is what we’re seeing. Use them, or they will leave.

Colleges are just going to have to adapt. Kids will be coming and going yearly. Might be something to that. I’m not sure how that’s going to pan out. All I know is what we’re seeing. Use them, or they will leave.

I think starting next year it will slow down a bit once a bunch of kids get left out without a scholarship. I think this year is unique because of Covid and it being the first year of no restrictions. Guys will always transfer, I just don't think it will be this many.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back