• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Demariyon Houston enters the portal

I'm not sure why everyone is in a hurry to see Rahmir Johnson leave. He played in 4 games as a true freshman, then appeared in 6 games as a redshirt freshman. He gets a do-over redshirt freshman season in 2021, and running back is maybe the most wide open position heading into the fall. I would guess he may even be able to see some time at the Duck R spot.

Wan'Dale Robinson leaving might have been the best thing for some of these quick, shifty backs.

Agree on all

My goodness, would any of these kids have ever made it without this transfer nonsense? Everyone, everywhere seems to be bailing out when the depth chart comes out and they are 3rd string, even as youngsters. Who’s to ever say these guys wouldn’t blossom with some perseverance in another year, or two? Hell, Osborne made a living off developing players, making them successful in the last 2-3 years in the program. Looks like the days of developing your players has about a 2 year shelf life now. If not, I’m outta here. Frustrating. If Snyder were still coaching, he’d probably build his entire team from the portal (like the juco’s he feasted on). Might be wise to learn how to master the portal and your roster moving forward.
Actually, that is something to really think about. I think a lot of us old timers are disgusted with college football these days, but you have a valid point about mastering the portal.

I must admit, tho.. I watch with nostalgic reminisce, the '70's and 80's. I really miss those games.. the hitting, the fire, determination, guts, glory.. in defeat or victory. What a game it once was.

I'm not sure why everyone is in a hurry to see Rahmir Johnson leave. He played in 4 games as a true freshman, then appeared in 6 games as a redshirt freshman. He gets a do-over redshirt freshman season in 2021, and running back is maybe the most wide open position heading into the fall. I would guess he may even be able to see some time at the Duck R spot.

Wan'Dale Robinson leaving might have been the best thing for some of these quick, shifty backs.
Many of your reactions to my thoughts are similar to hill's, that it is I that who wish these players I have listed would leave.

Far from it.

In reaction to Houston's leaving and *** mentioning on another thread that Portal attrition should be coming, I tried to look at who might be considering leaving from the players point of view.

Looking at injuries, lacking of playing, position of depth chart and especially being far from home, these were the names I came up with as potential transfer portal candidates.

Let's take Rahmir in more depth.

He has been here physically three years:
2019: 21/64 1-12
2020: 8/30 6-33

In 2020, Marvin Scott (True freshman) got more carries than he did.

In the spring game Marvin Scott, Jaquez Yant, Sevion Morrison, Gabe Ervin, Ronald Tompkins, and even walk on Isiah Harris showed great promise.

Rahmir's missing much of the spring puts him behind those other players.

Then finally as I mentioned, Rahmir is from a long way from Lincoln (New Jersey). Its hard to handle college when your support is not local, I know I tried that. It was much easier when I moved from East Lansing to Lincoln and I wasn't playing major college football in auditioning to going to school.

So, all these are are guesses into the thoughts of kids a long way from home who might be thinking the same as the young Houston kid about there position in life and what they might do about it.

GBR

Smothers will stay. He's a coaches kid who knows how the business goes.

Though the same could be said about McCaffrey.

Anyhow, I doubt Smothers will go anywhere anytime soon. Just kinda depends how things shake out over the course of this year. If Smothers isn't the heir apparent to Martinez, there's no saying he'll stick -- but that's not a concern in the short term.

I think Rahmir is in trouble for playing time personally.

If Toure is who we want at Duck-R instead of Robinson I don’t think that bodes well for Johnson doing anything at that spot.

I do agree that we are too early to write off Johnson, but typically you see something by year 2 at the latest if you are going to have a contributor at RB. Ozigbo is the anomaly. He’s on my transfer watch but with his coach coming to help in Lincoln we may have fended it off another year.

I think Rahmir is in trouble for playing time personally.

If Toure is who we want at Duck-R instead of Robinson I don’t think that bodes well for Johnson doing anything at that spot.

I do agree that we are too early to write off Johnson, but typically you see something by year 2 at the latest if you are going to have a contributor at RB. Ozigbo is the anomaly. He’s on my transfer watch but with his coach coming to help in Lincoln we may have fended it off another year.

I don't think Ozigbo was that much of an anomaly. Sure, he was in the wings until breaking out midway in his senior year, but he was getting meaningful yards before that. His second year, he had 512 yards of total offense and 5 touchdowns. But he got caught up in a coaching change, which creates other unknowns. Obviously, Frost had planned on Bell and Washington being his guys.

I don't think Ozigbo was that much of an anomaly. Sure, he was in the wings until breaking out midway in his senior year, but he was getting meaningful yards before that. His second year, he had 512 yards of total offense and 5 touchdowns. But he got caught up in a coaching change, which creates other unknowns. Obviously, Frost had planned on Bell and Washington being his guys.
That’s true. Probably goes back to showing something earlier than year 3.

My goodness, would any of these kids have ever made it without this transfer nonsense? Everyone, everywhere seems to be bailing out when the depth chart comes out and they are 3rd string, even as youngsters. Who’s to ever say these guys wouldn’t blossom with some perseverance in another year, or two? Hell, Osborne made a living off developing players, making them successful in the last 2-3 years in the program. Looks like the days of developing your players has about a 2 year shelf life now. If not, I’m outta here. Frustrating. If Snyder were still coaching, he’d probably build his entire team from the portal (like the juco’s he feasted on). Might be wise to learn how to master the portal and your roster moving forward.
It leads me to wonder about coaching approaches such as running an offense that is easy to learn with a short barrier to playing, as opposed to a large playbook that takes a couple years to master. If you know you’re going to be in an environment with high attrition and opportunity to acquire skilled scheme-ignorant players, do you change your schemes?

The portal is really a sign of the times imo. I like flexibility when there is coaching change or philosophy change. These kids caught up in those situations should have an out. As for how the portal is today, I'm not a fan. Shows no intestinal fortitude and a lack of commitment to tuck tail and run. These kids should sit. Grad transfers I'm all for. Clearly they took care of business and deserve the opportunity to make one last move since it may help them get their masters.

He is entering his third year having bern passed by fellow recruiting classmates and younger guys

I can pretty much guarantee he is going to be taking up space and not contributing much at all

If your okay with giving a chance on him do be it. I think we can do better with a new recruit

He is not giving up he sees the writing on the wall and wants to go somewhere else and play. Win for him and win for us

It's that simple
I’m not even really directly talking about him. It’s kids in general. It’s a FACT, that some dudes develop faster than others. Too many examples to list, just from Nebraska alone is what I’m saying. Osborne def made a living on it. 4th year juniors finally coming into their own. You don’t know. You missed the point.

I’m not even really directly talking about him. It’s kids in general. It’s a FACT, that some dudes develop faster than others. Too many examples to list, just from Nebraska alone is what I’m saying. Osborne def made a living on it. 4th year juniors finally coming into their own. You don’t know. You missed the point.

No I didn't t the miss point

Carry on

Last edited:
Actually, that is something to really think about. I think a lot of us old timers are disgusted with college football these days, but you have a valid point about mastering the portal.

I must admit, tho.. I watch with nostalgic reminisce, the '70's and 80's. I really miss those games.. the hitting, the fire, determination, guts, glory.. in defeat or victory. What a game it once was.
Just saying, learn it, master it, use it. It’s the future.

It leads me to wonder about coaching approaches such as running an offense that is easy to learn with a short barrier to playing, as opposed to a large playbook that takes a couple years to master. If you know you’re going to be in an environment with high attrition and opportunity to acquire skilled scheme-ignorant players, do you change your schemes?
If the current rules keep up, the portal is going to be a way of life. Live it, learn it, perfect it. It’s gonna be the norm moving forward.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back