• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Delany must be just shaking his head....

johnrr6

Lucky!
5 Year Member
Folks can say what they want about Jim Delany but does anyone in the entire BiG think we’d all be in the situation we are now if Jim Delany was still at the helm?

It’s terribly unfortunate for Kevin Warren that his first year he had to encounter an unprecedented event in the United States.

However, having said that, when you’re in charge, you’re expected to lead without panic and actually have plans developed to deal with problems. Plus, he gets paid a damn pretty penny to do so!

I want to give the guy every break because of the terrible situation going on right now but I just have to absolutely wonder about these key points:

1. Why did the BiG go rogue and come up with a “conference only” schedule without SERIOUS discussions with other Power 5 Confrences? Delany would have hosted a meeting or co-hosted something probably with the SEC and publicly invited all Power 5 commissioners .....months ago.

2. Why did the BiG even announce the actual schedule just a few short days before the cancellation? Makes zero sense whatsoever.

3. With the way this entire virus situation is constantly fluid, why kick the can into the spring when you have just released the schedule that says it has flexibility? Cut a game or even two....move the start back a tad. THERE WERE OPTIONS!

4. And the actual timing of the decision is just...AWFUL! Depicts the conference as the Nervous Nellie Keystone Cops who are making decisions on what ifs instead of what really is happening. Why didn’t they simply wait until the students showed up and within three weeks you’ll know what is happening on campus? If it has gone south on campus then you absolutely have solid footing to try to kick the can into the spring or cancel altogether.

The BiG may come out of this being seen by the left leaning media as some kind of “hero”. But in reality, we are just kind of a laughingstock to the common sense person right now. And the long term implications of this on how serious the BiG is on getting kids into their dream job in the NFL just can’t be lost on players, recruits and parents. And my goodness where are the articles talking about how this decision may deprive so many minority players their chance at wealth. You’d think with all the social unrest at least ONE young firebrand reporter would even mention this.

And all so unnecessary. All Warren had to do was coordinate....even a little...and be a little patient. And I’m not talking about coordinating with medical councils and legal affairs people as I think he did that with excellent thoroughness. What I’m talking about is coordination with the remainder of the power five conferences and trying to display two simple little words called....patience and leadership.

Kevin Warren, to be frank, you screwed the pooch on this one! You know it, we know it, every coach, athletic director, athlete and parent of those athletes in the BiG knows it. And btw...the media does too but they will never admit it in this current climate where ANY dissent from their moral righteousness brings a deluge of bad press.

Good luck but PLEASE DO BETTER!

Oh and for goodness sake’s hire yourself a professional person that can brief you up properly and prepare you for an interview that millions of people are going to watch. Your interviews are frankly.....painful.

Last edited:

Everything I've read about Kevin Warren is bad. He seems to have worn out his welcome wherever he went in the NFL. Why was he hired with such a poor reputation?

3 of the talking head, Herbstreit, Wilbon, and Howard are all longtime BiG guys....it’s what they know....it’s what they are comfortable with....hell, even VERY proud of.

You could see the hurt, the confusion, the anger in each of those little clips and we were just the closest thing to get mad at. The easy target to vent frustrations because HOW DARE Nebraska...the Rookie...the Newbie even question their beloved institution they were so quick to point out had been around for 116 years. I was surprised they even knew that number so offhandedly...was very telling.

They don’t understand Warren‘s actions or, at the very least...the TIMING OF HIS ACTIONS either.

And trust me, in the light of day...after they have cooled off a bit and relook at the situation they are shaking their heads privately....just like us.

But of course they will never admit it, unfortunately.

And they won’t comment on this further is my bet because each of their wives is probably telling them right now “So what if Nebraska asked what are the options...seems like a logical thing to do...one door is closed, you look for another door. And Dear, you just looked stupid and out of control in that video.“

And privately, in the light of day, they will agree. ESPECIALLY if the other three conferences somehow pull off a fall season.

What an absolutely bonkers of a last 7 months....

We'll never know, but my guess is that Delaney would have done exactly what the presidents told him to do, which is check with everyone and bring in the best medical people we have. Then we, the presidents, will make the decision. Clearly they had talked with the Pac 12 and the Big 12, but my guess is they would have done what they did regardless of whether any other P5 conference had followed. I think the head of the president's group is a noted immunologist (at least one of the announcements said that). so I doubt that Delaney could have persuaded the group otherwise on the science.

I think the group made many mistakes, since when they announced their schedule, getting everyone all excited, they also continued to say we may not play at all, but obviously the schedule release sent a different message. They also should have had some planning going on at the same time about a Spring season, not releasing just a comment that they will try to play this Spring.

But IMO Delaney or not, other conferences or not, they weren't going to play this Fall. I think they were much more influenced by the action of the Ivy League than of the actions of the SEC. They want to be world class universities, not just football factories.

I think many on this board don't like that idea.

Kevin Warren seems to me like an "NFL guy" all the way, who doesn't understand the college landscape. IMO he handled this as if he were trying out for the NFL Commissioner gig; attempting to show "I'm the strong one that can stand up to the irrational, irritable owners and make the tough decisions for the good of the league. Now, where's that NFL Commissioner job application?"

We'll never know, but my guess is that Delaney would have done exactly what the presidents told him to do, which is check with everyone and bring in the best medical people we have. Then we, the presidents, will make the decision. Clearly they had talked with the Pac 12 and the Big 12, but my guess is they would have done what they did regardless of whether any other P5 conference had followed. I think the head of the president's group is a noted immunologist (at least one of the announcements said that). so I doubt that Delaney could have persuaded the group otherwise on the science.

I think the group made many mistakes, since when they announced their schedule, getting everyone all excited, they also continued to say we may not play at all, but obviously the schedule release sent a different message. They also should have had some planning going on at the same time about a Spring season, not releasing just a comment that they will try to play this Spring.

But IMO Delaney or not, other conferences or not, they weren't going to play this Fall. I think they were much more influenced by the action of the Ivy League than of the actions of the SEC. They want to be world class universities, not just football factories.

:Lol:

I see your points and I don’t disagree. In the end it is not about Warren’s final decision which may very well have been the same say 5 weeks from now.

What he totally dropped the ball on was the TIMING of the decision. That and the inexplicable schedule release and his unwillingness to coordinate outside of the BiG with anyone other than the Pac12 who with California, Oregon and Washington schools....their path was already virtually set.
Also his seeming lack of adaptability to an ever changing situation and let’s face it...the WORST interviews I have ever seen from an “executive” in a long time.

We all sit here in our righteousness talking about player health and the decisions seem so easy....just don’t play. But it is NOT that easy. Literally lives will be permanently, negatively affected from this decision. Many kids will not get that opportunity they worked so hard for and the economic fall out will be devastating to many, many families.

And maybe this was the lesser of two evils....a sacrifice that maybe saves lives....or maybe doesn’t. What I'm saying is Jim Delany would not have made this decision...this soon...nor made the mistakes you mentioned.

Looking at the CDC stats for mortality rate for college age students (18-24) this was a very poor decision. Obviously 3 major conferences looked at those medical facts and decided to try and play some football. I believe the decision was cowardly but expected nothing less from the Big 10.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back