• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Delany doesn't get it when it comes to the BCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRum

All Big 10
10 Year Member
The problem isn't who gets in a 4th or 5th place BCS game. The problem is access to the championship. Who cares about fixes to what amounts to consolation games?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ve-up-bcs-title-game-20111206,0,3810244.story

Two areas of potential improvement: Kill the automatic bids (and two-bid-per-conference restriction) that allow the Big East's West Virginia (No. 23 in the BCS) and the ACC's Clemson (No. 14) to play in BCS bowl games over the likes of Arkansas (6) and Boise State (7).

“There are 10 access points in the BCS, and when you attain one, it’s seen as affirmation,â€￾ Delany said.

So OSU has affirmation because they attained the Fiesta Bowl? How about Auburn when they went undefeated and were shut out? The argument to protect the BCS is one where you have to believe that every one is more interested in a consolation prize.

I think most Husker fans underestimate the significance of the Rose Bowl as a hindrance to a playoff system. I know a lot of Big Ten alums in Denver. They don't want a playoff system if it means giving up the Rose Bowl and the Big Ten vs. Pac 12 match-up. Earning a Rose Bowl bid and winning the trophy has real meaning. It's not seen as an exhibition game. Delany is going to protect the Rose Bowl at all costs.

Last edited:

I think most Husker fans underestimate the significance of the Rose Bowl as a hindrance to a playoff system. I know a lot of Big Ten alums in Denver. They don't want a playoff system if it means giving up the Rose Bowl and the Big Ten vs. Pac 12 match-up. Earning a Rose Bowl bid and winning the trophy has real meaning. It's not seen as an exhibition game. Delany is going to protect the Rose Bowl at all costs.

Yep...that seems to be all that Big 10 types seem to care about. Sucks.

I would love to see the NCAA move to a playoff though I'm not sure it will happen in my lifetime (44yrs old). I don't have the love for the Rose bowl that the rest of the B1G does and I'm not sure that a lot of Husker fans do either. I realize that we haven't been conditioned to see Pasadena as the motherland of the bowl season but I'm not sure I will ever hold it that close to my heart. I'm kinda put off by the be all end all that the Rose bowl is to this conference...seems a little snobby to me I guess. Anyway the sooner we get to a playoff the better. Just my 2 cents.

The Orange Bowl hosted more championship games than another other bowl, I believe, prior to the BCS thing. I know we were connected to it, so I might be biased, I still remember the Orange Bowl as having the premier match-ups and the Rose Bowl as being rather dull and insignificant (on the field).

This whole system was Delaney and Kramer's way of amassing even more power/money for their two conferences the Big Ten and SEC....it worked.....

The Rose Bowl is tradition to a fault run by a bunch of blue hairs here in CA....and they will not budge or change....

The NCAA other than oversight has no control over 1A football....

They keep telling me that I'll understand when (and I suppose if) the Huskers win the Big Ten and earn a Rose Bowl bid. I think Husker fans are probably a little late to the party no matter what. I do think the bowl games meant a lot more pre-BCS. I recall getting pretty geeked up to win the Big 8 and earn an Orange Bowl bid back in the day.

years ago, probably the early to mid-nineties, I remember Beano Cook saying that the Big Ten will not win a national championship as long as they view the Rose Bowl as the Holy Grail. That thinking still exists today. I guess if you're going to be in the B1G it's important to adopt a parochial mindset. The conference is our world. Nothing else matters.

The Rose Bowl is what it is because of what it stood for (not necessarily what it is now). Midwesterners, post-war dreams or coming West. I grew up going to the Rose Bowl itself dozens of times and to the game itself several times (my grandparents, aunts, uncles lived blocks away and were big UCLA season ticket holders). Of course, as a Nebraska fan as a young kid (for no reason whatsoever), I too was more interested in seeing the oranges pelt the field in hopes of winning the Big Eight and going to Miami. However, if you've been, there is a reason why they call it the Granddaddy - 72 degrees, San Gabriels in the back, pristine grass, the bands, the parade, the traditions of the schools, etc. (oh, and when NU played there in 01/02, everybody including me was shortchanged with it being on a Tue/Wed at night and having to fight rush hour traffic to get there).

It is a fabulous experience, having lived in Pasadena for five years. The parade is unmatched In its beauty and splendor, but the Rose Bowl committee are elites and snobs. There is no other bowl or game that matters to the Rose people.

Last edited:
It's always been this way. Thats why NU could not play Michigan in 1997, because the Big 11 wanted to have thier precious little Rose Bowl INSTEAD OF A NATIONAL CHAMPION. Probably at least some of the reason why the Big 101112 only has 1 1/2 NC's in the past 40+ years.

Last edited:

It's always been this way. Thats why NU could not play Michigan in 1997, because the Big 11 wanted to have thier precious little Rose Bowl INSTEAD OF A NATIONAL CHAMPION. Probably at least some of the reason why the Big 101112 only has 1 1/2 NC's in the past 40+ years.

I used to feel the same way, until I actually attended a Rose Bowl (Nebraska Jan 2002). From that point on, I've understood why it's called the granddaddy of them all....because it is. No other bowl game is on the same planet when you consider the entire package. If I had an exclusive arrangement with the Rose Bowl, I'd want to protect it too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back