• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Deions a buffoon, but he sure isn’t messing around

So is he a buffoon or is he wise based on what he's accomplished to date? Are the Buffs a better team today than they were prior to Sanders? Much like our own team, we can only judge on what they've accomplished to date.

Maybe it's a little of both. Maybe not.

Strange to hear such a successful player and coach called a buffoon. I guess others like Spurrier and Leach could be called that too if buffoon is the right word here. Maybe a lot of coaches are I suppose. My guess is he will bring a lot more wins to the Colorado team than the previous coaches, save for McCarthy. And I suspect he will get a more important gig after that.

He will also make it harder for us to get good Colorado players and will try to poach on Nebraska kids. He'll succeed with some.

Strange to hear such a successful player and coach called a buffoon. I guess others like Spurrier and Leach could be called that too if buffoon is the right word here. Maybe a lot of coaches are I suppose. My guess is he will bring a lot more wins to the Colorado team than the previous coaches, save for McCarthy. And I suspect he will get a more important gig after that.

He will also make it harder for us to get good Colorado players and will try to poach on Nebraska kids. He'll succeed with some.
The question here is the type of player he will get. Many will be very close to what kind of man he is; lots of flash and dash with little substance. Lack of substance will not win you a lot of games when the chips are down.

I thought Zimmer was known awhile back?

Anyway . . . Deion is high risk, possibly-high-reward. He has a huge ego and he's basically performing in a reality show at CU. They film everything and are making a big splash. If it works, Deion will probably be off to the SEC or some other bigger gig. If it doesn't . . . it's gonna be ugly in Boulder when the steak doesn't live up to the sizzle.

NU really needs to win that game, either way.

Why do you say that?
It's kind of where I'm at.

The guy literally funded his entire team last year. Little to no help from the school. Didn't even get paid in full. He could have packed his bags and left at the beginning of the season and nobody would have blamed him. He saw it through and used his own money to provide the kids with what they needed to succeed. Everyone has blemishes, but I don't doubt he cares for and loves his teams. "Substance" is a subjective terms and can be defined in many ways.

I'm not a big "flash" guy, so some of the things he does annoys the hell out of me. Is he egotistical? Yep, most greats are. Yes, it's over the top. He always has been in a harmless way. Whether that transfers to being a successful P5 coach is yet to be seen. But calling him a buffoon and a person of no substance might be a bit too much until we see the product on the field.

Knowing what I know now, I'd rather have Deion than Scott. And who would have EVER said that a few years ago? Talk about lack of substance.

Last edited:

Thing about it, he has lost the only two games that truly mattered while he was at Jackson State and his teams have always been quite above and beyond the opponents talent-wise. I don't think he's a great developer, but he can recruit. I see another Frost here.

The question here is the type of player he will get. Many will be very close to what kind of man he is; lots of flash and dash with little substance. Lack of substance will not win you a lot of games when the chips are down.
Exactly, Bama and Miami both gave up on McClain because he is a self-centered headcase. Doesn't show up to signing day when everyone had it all set up and ready to go, told the Miami recruiting staff that they could come visit him, only for him to be gone and visiting Colorado when they arrived. Those are the players Saban doesn't want, Rhule doesn't want, and most of us wouldn't want. But for Deion, it's the big names, the stars, and the swag that he seems to care about

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back