• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Decision Making

Go into halftime with the lead or tied either way.
In addition, was there ever a drive at end of half or at end of game where AM led NU to a score, FG or TD? He played 4 years so he must have delivered once or twice, but I don't recall AM delivering a clutch scoring drive, so why trust him? I guess Frost was thinking it was a new season and a clean slate.

With 40 seconds to go till halftime........

Risk/reward says: No, not with AM (Mr. Turnover) as your QB. Now if you had Turner Gill, that is a different story.
There is validity to both sides of this argument. Game one, new season, I am not sending the message to my QB that i don't trust him by playing conservative. The outcome was terrible, but that wasn't the most likely. An incompletion was more likely.
First game last year was not the time to decide that AM was not going to be able to rise up a level as was the case at year's end.

There is validity to both sides of this argument. Game one, new season, I am not sending the message to my QB that i don't trust him by playing conservative. The outcome was terrible, but that wasn't the most likely. An incompletion was more likely.
First game last year was not the time to decide that AM was not going to be able to rise up a level as was the case at year's end.
It's a good point, more valid if it was the first game of his 2nd year, but after 4 years Frost should know what AM could and couldn't do. We'll just have to hope Thompson is smarter/better. I'm particularly encouraged by his 24/9 TD/INT ratio in 2021.

In addition, was there ever a drive at end of half or at end of game where AM led NU to a score, FG or TD? He played 4 years so he must have delivered once or twice, but I don't recall AM delivering a clutch scoring drive, so why trust him? I guess Frost was thinking it was a new season and a clean slate.
You play to win the game. Had he not tried to end the half with a score, we’d have all been complaining about him playing “not to lose.”

Didn’t claim it’s all 2AMs fault … go read some of my earlier posts … I’m concerned Kleiman will have success with him because he (Kleiman) will scheme and coach 2AM up better.

But 2AM is not a good passer, he doesn’t have great touch .. medium/midrange throws are notoriously off target. Go look at the end of the half sequence of the Illinios game … the play call, the protection and the execution were all on target except for 2AM.

if this were an isolated incident in the first game of the year we might say so what … but it has been a constant theme throughout his Husker career. To argue otherwise is simply biased perspective.

I could give you YouTube clips of Tom Brady doing the same thing.

I could give you YouTube clips of Tom Brady doing the same thing.
Tom Brady completed 67.5% of his passes in 2021 with 43 TDs and 12 INTs
CJ Stroud completed 71.5% of his passes in 2021 with 44 TDs and 6 INTs

2AM completed 61.8% of his passes in 2021 with 14 TDs and 10 INTs

*** One of these things is not like the other one of these things just doesn't belong! ***

There were 7 teams, who's passing leader, in the B1G that had a better TD to INT ratio than 2AM.

Sure you can find clips of TB12 doing the same thing ... I can find in aggregate over the course of an entire season many teams and individuals who've amassed better results because they were more consistent, more accurate and less mistake prone.

2AM like Taylor Martinez before him were one year wonders ... both who couldn't stay healthy and both who once D-Coordinators figured out that you don't let them beat you with the run became irrelevant signal callers. Both struggled because (a) there were no better options and (b) the coaching around them did not adjust their game plan to play off of their strengths!

See ,that's just my point.

HCSF seems to know only one way to win as a HC, high scoring offense that wins 56-48.

My point is that in the BIG there are lots of precedent for teams that win playing "small ball" relying on running game, defense and field position to win 24-17, emphasis on winning! Sort of like Devaney in the old Big 8.

After years of watching AM not play well in crucial moments, HCSF should KNOW that expecting AM to make game turning MISTAKES is more common than game WINNING plays, just look at the record. He is college football's Willie Horton (Willie led the Detroit Tigers in 2 run homers, all hit when the Tigers trailed 8-1 :( ).

HCSF should have taken the pressure OFF AM's shoulders, it may have led to him playing better if AM had not felt like he had to make ALL the plays to make DONU's offense go.

But HCSF refuse to change how his offense would be run, until he was made to give up the reins..... or at least w hope he has.

GBR

See ,that's just my point.

HCSF seems to know only one way to win as a HC, high scoring offense that wins 56-48.

My point is that in the BIG there are lots of precedent for teams that win playing "small ball" relying on running game, defense and field position to win 24-17, emphasis on winning! Sort of like Devaney in the old Big 8.

After years of watching AM not play well in crucial moments, HCSF should KNOW that expecting AM to make game turning MISTAKES is more common than game WINNING plays, just look at the record. He is college football's Willie Horton (Willie led the Detroit Tigers in 2 run homers, all hit when the Tigers trailed 8-1 :( ).

HCSF should have taken the pressure OFF AM's shoulders, it may have led to him playing better if AM had not felt like he had to make ALL the plays to make DONU's offense go.

But HCSF refuse to change how his offense would be run, until he was made to give up the reins..... or at least w hope he has.

GBR
Agree, the BIG is a risk adverse conference and makes teams pay for making mistakes. A strong power football running game goes a long way. Remember what TA said---we want to be the most physical football team in the midwest.

Last edited:

I will also add that an additional domain must be talked about/addressed to be successful...and that is development. Poor decision making by the coach/QB is irrelevant if we are losing a majority of our one on one battles due to the lack of development/preparedness.

I only know one person who was against bringing Frost in and at the time he was rightfully lambasted,. The hire made all the sense in the world. That is truly water under the bridge at this point. We thought we were buying a Lambo and so far we got a Yugo. Hopefully, we see the most improvement in the areas that we need it most. Up front.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back