• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DeBoer article and thoughts

juju

The future starts now.
5 Year Member

The more I learn about him the more I think he would be an excellent fit.

I have him and Aranda as kind of 1a and 1b.

DeBoer has the advantage of being a South Dakota guy and West Coast recruiting ties, as well as a nice OC year at Indiana in the B1G. Excellent O coordinator and long history of building up teams.

Aranda has worked with some excellent coaches he could bring in with more recruiting chops. Also B1G experience and an excellent D coordinator.

I would place both of them far and above any other candidates. Kind of a matter of who they could bring in as assistant coaches. They both get the "process" and building culture.

The more I learn about him the more I think he would be an excellent fit.

I have him and Aranda as kind of 1a and 1b.

DeBoer has the advantage of being a South Dakota guy and West Coast recruiting ties, as well as a nice OC year at Indiana in the B1G. Excellent O coordinator and long history of building up teams.

Aranda has worked with some excellent coaches he could bring in with more recruiting chops. Also B1G experience and an excellent D coordinator.

I would place both of them far and above any other candidates. Kind of a matter of who they could bring in as assistant coaches. They both get the "process" and building culture.
DeBoer's big question mark would be recruiting for me. He wasn't at Fresno State very long and was only at Indiana for a year (his only Power 5 experience prior to this year at Washington). I'd view him as more of a less experienced Lance Leipold.

he does not have the ideal type of experience for the job IMO. But he does have enough* experience that if trev talks to him and thinks he is the guy I would be 100% happy with that and not-at-all disappointed (other than having to change my avatar).

would come in at #10 on my list

I'm asking because I don't know: Why did Chris Peterson leave Washington and would he be a possible fit? Trev had two guys interested in the job when he wanted to fire Frost last November. I sure would love to know who those 2 fellas are since they are still on the list.

Last edited:
I'm asking because I don't know: Why did Chris Peterson leave Washington and would he be a possible fit? Trev had two guys interested in the job when he wanted to fire Frost last November. I sure would love to know who those 2 fellas are since they are still on the list.

Petersen resigned after the 2019 season. At the time it seemed to me he was burned out and he hasn't coached since. Good coach, don't know if he wants living in a fish bowl anymore.

I dunno. One year as OC at Indiana, two as HC at Fresno State, and one at Udub— very impressive results. But if he would leave UW after less than a year for Nebraska, why should we think he would stay here if another school called?

If this guy can recruit then they need to look at him. We need the best recruiting head coach money can buy.

If this guy can recruit then they need to look at him. We need the best recruiting head coach money can buy.
Does he need to recruit or just look for players that are not happy with current team

Does he need to recruit or just look for players that are not happy with current team
Seems to me that Nebraska will have to use a combination of both traditional and new wave portal type of approach. I personally think there’s enough talent on existing roster to be a bowl eligible team year one. Couple that with a solid NIL process said new coach can ween from portal tit. Recruiting rules new coach must be a stud recruiter (just my opinion)

Last edited:
I remember reading an article and interview with him years ago when he was still at Boise State and he was talking about how the happiest he had ever been in coaching was as a position coach at some FCS school. All he had to focus on was football and what came with that position outside of the limelight. He's never seemed like a good fit for Lincoln to me, given the nature of the Nebraska HC position.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back