• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dear recruiting coordinators/coaches/gurus:

The Murdock Flash

Recruit
5 Year Member
Just riffing here, but... for the next several classes, let's primarily go after 4 & 5 star O/L & D/L and TE's & LB's with the fervor granted to the pursuit of so-called skill-position players. Scour the juco's near (and I mean NEAR!) and far, mine the portal, pound the asphalt & dirt roads to H/Schools everywhere, and let's experiment with building this thing we call Husker Football from the ground up. Would that be so wrong? FYI, I am not a recruitnik or whatever, I just feel that this would/should be our path to football salvation... As Keith Jackson (google him if necessary) would say, "It all starts with the Big-Uglies!" GBR!

They’ve done a good job recruiting OL and DL. The biggest issue they’ve had the past two classes is at OLB. They need impact players there and so far the highest potential recruit Caleb Tannor hasn’t turned into a threat (he’s only a Sophomore though).

You don't follow recruiting if you think we've gone after skill guys more than the positions you listed.

Our thinnest position is maybe WR right now. Olb in there as well.

One of the biggest recruiting needs for the staff besides acquiring some new quality commitments is doubling down on the current commits given the epic downward spiral with the 2019 season. Hoping we can convince/secure the signatures of the current commits.

Last edited:

Being on the precipice of going 4-8 again means in my mind that the December signing class may in deed tank.

That may set back the rebuild by two years, if you "buy in" to the notion that what we need is "better Players".

I am convinced at this point that in addition to 4 and 5 star players we need more experience assistant coaches to develop the talent we have.

The question is would such experienced coaches be willing to work for such a young Head Coach?

GBR

Being on the precipice of going 4-8 again means in my mind that the December signing class may in deed tank.

That may set back the rebuild by two years, if you "buy in" to the notion that what we need is "better Players".

I am convinced at this point that in addition to 4 and 5 star players we need more experience assistant coaches to develop the talent we have.

The question is would such experienced coaches be willing to work for such a young Head Coach?

GBR
He’s not that young anymore, for head coaches. Fleck is 38 I think.

WR's and big fast running backs are also a huge need right now. I'm not a recruitnik either so if we don't have some studs in the pipeline already I'd be going after those positions. It would also be nice to have at least one big bad fullback for goal line situations.

4 and 5 star linemen don't grow on trees, and have options to go just about anywhere they want. Now that the "shine" is off of Frost & Co. and we play an inferior brand of football, we are going to struggle to get serious interest from a lot of those types of players until things start to turn around.

No, I don't follow recruiting with the fervor of some, but, logically, those W/R & R/B recruit options would expand considerably if our QB's had all day to throw & our R/B's had holes to the second level on a consistent basis. Heck, our QB searches would be broadened as well...

Just riffing here, but... for the next several classes, let's primarily go after 4 & 5 star O/L & D/L and TE's & LB's with the fervor granted to the pursuit of so-called skill-position players. Scour the juco's near (and I mean NEAR!) and far, mine the portal, pound the asphalt & dirt roads to H/Schools everywhere, and let's experiment with building this thing we call Husker Football from the ground up. Would that be so wrong? FYI, I am not a recruitnik or whatever, I just feel that this would/should be our path to football salvation... As Keith Jackson (google him if necessary) would say, "It all starts with the Big-Uglies!" GBR!
I get what you are saying, we do that with a few guys (Bryce Benhart, Turner Corcoran, Nash Hutmacher, Jahkeem Green, Ty Robinson, Desmond Bland). But we also really love to tout our nutrition and S&C and just go after bodies on the OL that have the frame (length), but not so much the mass, so it's part of the reason we have some depth issues. Jimmy Fritzsche, Matthew Anderson, Brant Banks, Michael Lynn, Mosai Newsom, Alex Conn, those are all guys that you can't bring in and expect to help right away. They need 12 months minimum to be ready. Then they need to get used to carrying 40 extra pounds, which takes even more time.

Frost's first recruiting class has been decimated, but the guys he brought in to be leaders from it really need to step up next year. Adrian Martinez, Noah Vedral, Cam Jurgens, Deontai Williams, Will Honas, Cam Taylor-Britt, Caleb Tannor. All of those dudes are going to be year 3 in the system. Put up or shut up time 2020, because 2019 is over in November. Again.

4 and 5 star linemen don't grow on trees, and have options to go just about anywhere they want. Now that the "shine" is off of Frost & Co. and we play an inferior brand of football, we are going to struggle to get serious interest from a lot of those types of players until things start to turn around.
Well then its a good thing Frost already has commitments from those type of players.

With the new NCAA rules why don't we each chip in about 20 bucks, give it to a stellar recruit and paste his image on our lunch boxes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back