• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dawson recruiting question

juju

The future starts now.
5 Year Member
Hired back for LBs coach. Any previous grades on his recruiting or thoughts on his recruiting acumen?

Hired back for LBs coach. Any previous grades on his recruiting or thoughts on his recruiting acumen?
The guy was a huge factor in getting ty Robinson and has major connections to the northeast (Bergen HS in NJ where we pulled rahmir johnson is a perennial powerhouse)
Good post Pebbles, he can help us get back into Jersey. The issue is going to be Schiano back at Rutgers and Penn State humming along. But there's enough talent there, some of which want to get away. I actually think he did some good bonding with his potential recruits while he was pounding the streets.

Good post Pebbles, he can help us get back into Jersey. The issue is going to be Schiano back at Rutgers and Penn State humming along. But there's enough talent there, some of which want to get away. I actually think he did some good bonding with his potential recruits while he was pounding the streets.
I will give you PSU. No jersey kids grow up hoping to play at Rutgers.

I agree about the Schiano effect. People don't realize it, but close to 50% of the commits over the last 3 years for Rutgers came from in-state kids (Nearly 60% in the 2020 class!). That overall 3 year % is a little skewed because they took a handful of non-rated kids in 2018 to fill out the roster. But I can see that rate increasing with Schiano there, and there is already evidence he has had an effect. We need a strong presence in Jersey. Just too much good football being played in that state and a strong recruiter with ties will be needed to open up opportunities for those kids that are entertaining the idea of "going away"

Last edited:
When Schiano was there:
In 2011, Schiano's last class at Rutgers, he signed 3 of the top 4 players in New Jersey. More recently, Saquon Barkley was committed to Rutgers before flipping to Penn State once Franklin came there.

Hope you're right. They probably don't want to be there when they suck, that's easy. If Schiano gets them back to 8+ win seasons again.....

I agree about the Schiano effect. People don't realize it, but close to 50% of the commits over the last 3 years for Rutgers came from in-state kids (Nearly 60% in the 2020 class!). That overall 3 year % is a little skewed because they took a handful of non-rated kids in 2018 to fill out the roster. But I can see that rate increasing with Schiano there, and there is already evidence he has had an effect. We need a strong presence in Jersey. Just too much good football being played in that state and a strong recruiter with ties will be needed to open up opportunities for those kids that are entertaining the idea of "going away"
Right. Javonte Jean-Baptiste who was a silent to us before signing day and a New Jersey kid, flipped to Ohio State once he said Schiano was staying. The guy has connections.

That's funny I have a Pastor friend that lives close and wants me to come out when Nebraska plays there and I said, 'if I am taking time off of work I am not going to Jersey', but I think it has been mentioned before these kids are not committing to a school they are committing to a coach/staff and Schiano seems to appeal to these kids.

That's funny I have a Pastor friend that lives close and wants me to come out when Nebraska plays there and I said, 'if I am taking time off of work I am not going to Jersey', but I think it has been mentioned before these kids are not committing to a school they are committing to a coach/staff and Schiano seems to appeal to these kids.

He has great relationships with HS coaches in the state, including the powerhouses like Bergen Catholic.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back