• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dawson recruiting question

That's funny I have a Pastor friend that lives close and wants me to come out when Nebraska plays there and I said, 'if I am taking time off of work I am not going to Jersey', but I think it has been mentioned before these kids are not committing to a school they are committing to a coach/staff and Schiano seems to appeal to these kids.
Damn you!!! Using my own words against me. LOL :Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

I have a Pastor friend that lives close and wants me to come out when Nebraska plays there and I said, 'if I am taking time off of work I am not going to Jersey'

Just curious if you've been to the Central Jersey area? I had assumed that all of New Jersey was a mixture of Jersey City, Orange, East Philadelphia, Camden, and Atlantic City since that pretty much covers the main points of the compass, but my wife grew up in Somerset, just a few blocks from the Rutgers practice fields, and Central Jersey changed my mind. Apart from the areas connected to the interstates that cut through, the central-western and northwestern parts of NJ are gorgeous. I didn't discover until just a couple years before my in-laws moved to Virginia that there were beautiful trout streams in places like Hunterdon county, which is about a half-hour north of Rutgers. Just east and north of Rutgers is where Somerville and Somerset are located, and those are extravagantly wealthy areas with the restaurant options to match. I actually miss going there for family visits.

Is there a new PSU scandal, which I somehow haven't heard about?
It's not yet clear if it's another scandal, or if it's a bunch of false accusations from a disgruntled former player who transferred out. We have a thread started on the topic at HM. Here are the articles I linked on that page:

I know in today's football, you have to be able to recruit and develop both to be a successful coach. I don't think we have enough assistants that are good at both. We seem to be getting the recruiting done, so hopefully we can develop these guys. Our record doesn't correspond with our recruiting.

Just curious if you've been to the Central Jersey area? I had assumed that all of New Jersey was a mixture of Jersey City, Orange, East Philadelphia, Camden, and Atlantic City since that pretty much covers the main points of the compass, but my wife grew up in Somerset, just a few blocks from the Rutgers practice fields, and Central Jersey changed my mind. Apart from the areas connected to the interstates that cut through, the central-western and northwestern parts of NJ are gorgeous. I didn't discover until just a couple years before my in-laws moved to Virginia that there were beautiful trout streams in places like Hunterdon county, which is about a half-hour north of Rutgers. Just east and north of Rutgers is where Somerville and Somerset are located, and those are extravagantly wealthy areas with the restaurant options to match. I actually miss going there for family visits.

I have not been to Jersey. I would assume like any state there are very nice parts and some not very nice parts. I guess my point is if I am going to take time away from work, which I don't very often do, Jersey is not on the top of my list to visit. But in defense of Jersey, I don't have much desire to go to Cali, Conn, Florida, Texas, or pretty much any where outside of my comfort zone (which is the midwest). But I am funny that way.

I have not been to Jersey. I would assume like any state there are very nice parts and some not very nice parts. I guess my point is if I am going to take time away from work, which I don't very often do, Jersey is not on the top of my list to visit. But in defense of Jersey, I don't have much desire to go to Cali, Conn, Florida, Texas, or pretty much any where outside of my comfort zone (which is the midwest). But I am funny that way.
I've spent significant time in all but a handful of states, and I've yet to visit a place that doesn't have a lot of positives and negatives, depending on what you're looking for, and how you want to respond to it. If you like the lightly populated rural life, you'd be shocked to see what South Jersey looks like or up-state New York or much of New England outside of the urban areas.

As for going to NJ to see Nebraska play at Rutgers, I'd look at it the same as any similar trip to watch the Huskers anywhere else. If it's far enough away that you're going to hop on a plane to get there, it doesn't make much difference if you're traveling a few hundred miles or a couple thousand. If you haven't spent much time on the East Coast, especially in the less densely populated areas, you might be shocked to realize that the New Brunswick-Somerset area is pretty nice, and that if you just drive north a few miles, you'll see horse farms, dairy cattle, mountains, forests, trout streams, etc. If you like hillbilly country, drive south into the Pine Barrens. If you like the ocean, New Jersey has a beach to match anything you would like to use. You can day-trip by train into NYC or Philly or both. You have Revolutionary War historical sites scattered throughout the state. It's just not what I suspect you envision it to be.

To the kids that attend Bergen and other schools. The areas you are pointing out might as well be Nebraska. So why do you not just go to the real thing.

To the kids that attend Bergen and other schools. The areas you are pointing out might as well be Nebraska. So why do you not just go to the real thing.
First, Bergen is a wealthy bedroom community across the river and NORTH of NYC, so it's not close to Central Jersey. That's a nice area, too, but in a ritzy, posh, cul-de-sac kind of way.

As for the comparisons of Nebraska and Central Jersey, I'm not familiar with the mountains and mountain trout streams in Nebraska? Where are those? I suppose you could also take a train from Nebraska to Philly or NYC, but it won't be a "day trip." I'm also not aware of a lot of forests in Nebraska? I didn't mention it as an attraction, but I'd also put the dining options way up on my list of favorite things about the area. If you looked at every cuisine option available in the entire state of Nebraska, I suspect that there are more within 50 miles of the Rutgers campus than in all of Nebraska combined. Finally, there aren't a lot of options in Nebraska for ocean beaches.

Thom, the way that you bag on all of Jersey--as though there's NOTHING worth seeing there--makes me think that you really haven't spent much time there, and whatever time you did spend, you were likely just passing through. Am I wrong?

First, Bergen is a wealthy bedroom community across the river and NORTH of NYC, so it's not close to Central Jersey. That's a nice area, too, but in a ritzy, posh, cul-de-sac kind of way.

As for the comparisons of Nebraska and Central Jersey, I'm not familiar with the mountains and mountain trout streams in Nebraska? Where are those? I suppose you could also take a train from Nebraska to Philly or NYC, but it won't be a "day trip." I'm also not aware of a lot of forests in Nebraska? I didn't mention it as an attraction, but I'd also put the dining options way up on my list of favorite things about the area. If you looked at every cuisine option available in the entire state of Nebraska, I suspect that there are more within 50 miles of the Rutgers campus than in all of Nebraska combined. Finally, there aren't a lot of options in Nebraska for ocean beaches.

Thom, the way that you bag on all of Jersey--as though there's NOTHING worth seeing there--makes me think that you really haven't spent much time there, and whatever time you did spend, you were likely just passing through. Am I wrong?
First off no I am not a fan of Jersey. That however has nothing to do with my point. The people in North Jersey consider them selves New yorkers. Southern Jersey considers themselves from Philly. As far as they are concerned everything in between is fly over country. . This is what I heard from people who grew up there. I have really good friends from both south jersey and North Jersey Not one of them give a darn about Rutgers. I have met half a dozen Husker fans who grew up in Jersey and had no connection with NE. I met one when I went to the Rutgers game a few years ago. It is not about what is in Jersey. It is about how central jersey is seen by those who live their.

Last edited:
First off no I am not a fan of Jersey. That however has nothing to do with my point. The people in North Jersey consider them selves New yorkers. Southern Jersey considers themselves from Philly. As far as they are concerned everything in between is fly over country. . This is what I heard from people who grew up there. I have really good friends from both south jersey and North Jersey Not one of them give a darn about Rutgers. I have met half a dozen Husker fans who grew up in Jersey and had no connection with NE. I met one when I went to the Rutgers game a few years ago. It is not about what is in Jersey. It is about how central jersey is seen by those who live their.
Well, no wonder your views are so warped. In all of that verbiage, here's what I'm gathering:
  1. You haven't been there.
  2. You're taking the word of exurb dwellers on what the nicer neighborhoods are just slightly farther away: I wonder what the folks in La Vista say about living in Gretna?
  3. You're equating the neurotic opinions of people who already lack a positive self-image--the exurbs of NYC and Philly that lie in NJ are chronically insecure because they define themselves by being the closest folks to the places that they value more highly (NYC and Philly)--with "Truth." Folks from those areas don't get to define Central Jersey anymore than people from St. Louis and Kansas City get to decide what others should think of the Ozarks.
At least now I know why you've been so contemptuous.

Last edited:

That has less to do with Rutgers and more to do with NJ (and the northeast in general) is a pro sports state. And in football in NJ, besides high school, it's all about if you're a Giants, Jets, or Eagles fan.

Well, no wonder your views are so warped. In all of that verbiage, here's what I'm gathering:
  1. You haven't been there.
  2. You're taking the word of exurb dwellers on what the nicer neighborhoods are just slightly farther away: I wonder what the folks in La Vista say about living in Gretna?
  3. You're equating the neurotic opinions of people who already lack a positive self-image--the exurbs of NYC and Philly that lie in NJ are chronically insecure because they define themselves by being the closest folks to the places that they value more highly (NYC and Philly)--with "Truth." Folks from those areas don't get to define Central Jersey anymore than people from St. Louis and Kansas City get to decide what others should think of the Ozarks.
At least now I know where you've been so contemptuous.
Umm did you not see the. I met one whe i went to the Rutgers game quote? I love in MD Jersey is not far away. My wife has relatives there. I have been there do not like it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back