• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Davon Townley 2021 DE

I propose we bump it up to a 550 mile radius. Just think of the potential! Not that the additional area in N. Dakota or the backwoods of MN is going to do us any good.

With the way FL players leave the program, the 500-mile radius becomes a much more important target area I believe.
Yes that is true..With the transfer portal these kids will comitt with the thought i can get some good college film on myself and then hit that portal and get back home

Wouldn't be surprised if he walked on to the basketball team after the football season was over if coaches allowed it, regardless of where he signs.
The last great football player at NU who walked on to basketball — in those days after a late bowl game — was Junior Miller. Observers and even Cip said he may have been the most talented player on the team. But as I remember it, Cip was quoted as saying he didn’t think Miller fit his system, so after a while Miller dropped basketball.

The last great football player at NU who walked on to basketball — in those days after a late bowl game — was Junior Miller. Observers and even Cip said he may have been the most talented player on the team. But as I remember it, Cip was quoted as saying he didn’t think Miller fit his system, so after a while Miller dropped basketball.

I was an observer then, and there is no way Junior was the most talented player on the team. A later good football player who really helped the basketball team was Wilson Thomas. He was better than Matt Davison, although Matt helped also. Bob Knight was really impressed with Thomas.

I was an observer then, and there is no way Junior was the most talented player on the team. A later good football player who really helped the basketball team was Wilson Thomas. He was better than Matt Davison, although Matt helped also. Bob Knight was really impressed with Thomas.
Yeah, Wilson Thomas was the man - tough, team oriented, great footwork. His shot was never very good because he didn't work on it enough. The basketball player I always suspected would have been an All Big-12 Safety was Erick Strickland. Just amazing athlete, not afraid of contact, detail oriented, hard worker.

I’m glad you commented. I regularly played against the guys on those teams, and against Junior in a few pickup games, and it’s not even close from a basketball skills perspective, and I’d say that Carl McPipe would have been a better TE than Junior was a basketball player. Just an opinion though.

I’m glad you commented. I regularly played against the guys on those teams, and against Junior in a few pickup games, and it’s not even close from a basketball skills perspective, and I’d say that Carl McPipe would have been a better TE than Junior was a basketball player. Just an opinion though.
I played intramural bball against a squad of football starters back then, and I was impressed with Junior, though coming from me that is not saying much. We were the same height and at the jump I recall my hand slapping somewhere below his elbow. In any event, all state Texas and recruited by UCLA and Kentucky suggests he wasn’t bad.

I played intramural bball against a squad of football starters back then, and I was impressed with Junior, though coming from me that is not saying much. We were the same height and at the jump I recall my hand slapping somewhere below his elbow. In any event, all state Texas and recruited by UCLA and Kentucky suggests he wasn’t bad.
I’m sure he did ok in high school because he had pretty good hops and was strong, but the guy wasn’t a shooter, and good ball players could get him out of position. Siegel, Hedberg and even McVicker could make him look bad on defense. McPipe and Andre Smith toyed with him.

And please don’t take this wrong, but Junior could kind of stretch stories a little, so I’m not sure the guy had offers, serious offers to UK and UCLA. UK was NCAA champs and UCLA was winning the PAC and usually going deep into the tournament. I guess it’s possible, but he was a 6’4 high school center. There might be some embellishment on Junior’s part. Heck of a TE though, was an All Pro in the making.

Edit: Sorry for the hijack, here’s hoping for a good word on Townley.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back