• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Davon Townley 2021 DE

Costa Rica Red

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Evidently the 'Huskers have entered the picture for 4 star DE Davon Townley from the Twin Cities area. Would be a great pickup at a position of need. NU offered back in May. Chins and Fischer are the lead recruiters.

Last edited:

Josh Helmholdt, Midwest Analyst:
New four-star Davon Townley is one of the bigger enigmas in this 2021 class. The Minneapolis defensive lineman came to the game late and showed great promise in a short period of time, but has been almost completely silent about his own college recruitment. Townley is reportedly planning to sign in the early period and expectations are he will stay close to home and choose Minnesota. Coaches at schools like Arizona State, Michigan State and Penn State are hoping Townley pulls a surprise, though, and considering the lack of information around this recruitment, a surprise is definitely possible.

Last edited:

Josh Helmholdt, Midwest Analyst:
New four-star Davon Townley is one of the bigger enigmas in this 2021 class. The Minneapolis defensive lineman came to the game late and showed great promise in a short period of time, but has been almost completely silent about his own college recruitment. Townley is reportedly planning to sign in the early period and expectations are he will stay close to home and choose Minnesota. Coaches at schools like Arizona State, Michigan State and Penn State are hoping Townley pulls a surprise, though, and considering the lack of information around this recruitment, a surprise is definitely possible.

Get ready for a surprise, Josh.

Davon Townley is an interesting late target. Nebraska has been recruiting him for a while and offered back in May, but he has looked harder at a handful of other teams for the majority of his recruitment. Nebraska was always in the peripheral, though.

On the one hand, he has all the raw tools you're looking for from your pass rushing OLB. He's tall, long, naturally athletic. And if I'm Frost, I have to continue to take guys like Townley every year because that spot is so important and I still don't have a proven commodity there.

But his first love is basketball. I'm naturally scared off by kids who don't "love" football. Either when projecting HS kids to college, or college kids to the pros. You'd be surprised how many kids on both levels don't love the game. They're naturally good at it so they stand out. But when they go to the next level and size, strength and speed gets on a more level playing field and they're playing against other kids who were the best players in their city or state, that's where work ethic, drive, and passion for the game make the difference.

Normally it'd be a no brainer to take Townley. He's a legit four-star talent at a position of need. But assuming you get Dickerson (I do), that leaves you with one spot. Do you use it on Townley, who could be a beast in a couple years (or the next David Alston) and shut the door on adding another guy from the portal who could potentially be a plug and play guy?

Could all be moot. I think he's a Penn State lean and ends up there if the Nittany Lions go all in with him. But Nebraska is in the running, for sure.

Davon Townley is an interesting late target. Nebraska has been recruiting him for a while and offered back in May, but he has looked harder at a handful of other teams for the majority of his recruitment. Nebraska was always in the peripheral, though.

On the one hand, he has all the raw tools you're looking for from your pass rushing OLB. He's tall, long, naturally athletic. And if I'm Frost, I have to continue to take guys like Townley every year because that spot is so important and I still don't have a proven commodity there.

But his first love is basketball. I'm naturally scared off by kids who don't "love" football. Either when projecting HS kids to college, or college kids to the pros. You'd be surprised how many kids on both levels don't love the game. They're naturally good at it so they stand out. But when they go to the next level and size, strength and speed gets on a more level playing field and they're playing against other kids who were the best players in their city or state, that's where work ethic, drive, and passion for the game make the difference.

Normally it'd be a no brainer to take Townley. He's a legit four-star talent at a position of need. But assuming you get Dickerson (I do), that leaves you with one spot. Do you use it on Townley, who could be a beast in a couple years (or the next David Alston) and shut the door on adding another guy from the portal who could potentially be a plug and play guy?

Could all be moot. I think he's a Penn State lean and ends up there if the Nittany Lions go all in with him. But Nebraska is in the running, for sure.
It depends on who that transfer is. If he’s a can’t miss edge rusher, then you take the transfer. Frost has to win now. If not, I take this kid in a heartbeat. His film, including his basketball film suggest that he can be the edge rusher we’re looking for. As you say, you have to get at least on of those guys every year.

Evidently the 'Huskers have entered the picture for 4 star DE Davon Townley from the Twin Cities area. Would be a great pickup at a position of need. NU offered back in May. Chins and Fischer are the lead recruiters.

We have been recruiting him all along. So not just entering the picture. We have made a break through so to speak and are in his final two with a decision coming soon.

As pointed out he is a legit two sport star.

DOwn to NE and Penn State having eliminated MN and Arizona State

I think we have a shot here due to distance.

Last edited:

It depends on who that transfer is. If he’s a can’t miss edge rusher, then you take the transfer. Frost has to win now. If not, I take this kid in a heartbeat. His film, including his basketball film suggest that he can be the edge rusher we’re looking for. As you say, you have to get at least on of those guys every year.

That's just it, I don't think a can't miss edge rusher from the portal is choosing Nebraska. Those guys are hot commodities and will get gobbled up by better programs. I think the sort of portal guys Nebraska would be in the running for are guys like James Sylvester, who was mentioned before. Sylvester was a four-star recruit, yeah, but he was also committed to two different schools in HS and is already transferring after one year on a college campus. Those sort of guys are just as much a risk as anything.

With 9 of 11 defensive starters now back, does Frost decide to fill his spots with HS kids? Needs at safety can be pushed onto the 2022 recruiting class now. You're right though, Frost needs to win this next season. IMPO the glaring spot on this team is still WR. So for me, it really comes down to if he can find a guy who can contribute via the portal or the juco ranks this spring? Does he risk missing on a potential pass rusher in 2023 with Townley to keep a spot in case he finds a guy worth taking that'll say yes to Nebraska? Where's his head? Win now coaches tend to sacrifice the future.

That's just it, I don't think a can't miss edge rusher from the portal is choosing Nebraska. Those guys are hot commodities and will get gobbled up by better programs. I think the sort of portal guys Nebraska would be in the running for are guys like James Sylvester, who was mentioned before. Sylvester was a four-star recruit, yeah, but he was also committed to two different schools in HS and is already transferring after one year on a college campus. Those sort of guys are just as much a risk as anything.

With 9 of 11 defensive starters now back, does Frost decide to fill his spots with HS kids? Needs at safety can be pushed onto the 2022 recruiting class now. You're right though, Frost needs to win this next season. IMPO the glaring spot on this team is still WR. So for me, it really comes down to if he can find a guy who can contribute via the portal or the juco ranks this spring? Does he risk missing on a potential pass rusher in 2023 with Townley to keep a spot in case he finds a guy worth taking that'll say yes to Nebraska? Where's his head? Win now coaches tend to sacrifice the future.
Yeah, based on who is available to Nebraska, I’d take Townley if he wants in. I like that he’s from the B1G footprint too. Townley and Dickerson would be a nice close to the class.

So, if it comes down to Townley or Mokiao-Atimalala, who do you take? Townley only having played for a couple of years is a concern. It took Alex Davis, who was also a basketball guy who started football late, a long time to be ready to contribute at a high level. From that angle, I think Mokiao-Atimalala is a safer bet. But Townley plays a position where we have really struggled to sign guys. How long will it take him to develop? I suppose it might depend on how they feel about 2022 OLB targets and whether they think someone in that class could require less development time.

So, if it comes down to Townley or Mokiao-Atimalala, who do you take? Townley only having played for a couple of years is a concern. It took Alex Davis, who was also a basketball guy who started football late, a long time to be ready to contribute at a high level. From that angle, I think Mokiao-Atimalala is a safer bet. But Townley plays a position where we have really struggled to sign guys. How long will it take him to develop? I suppose it might depend on how they feel about 2022 OLB targets and whether they think someone in that class could require less development time.
Townley for sure. Body types like his with that kind of athleticism are hard to find. There’s no way we can pass him up if we get the chance to secure his commitment.

We have been recruiting him all along. So not just entering the picture. We have made a break through so to speak and are in his final two with a decision coming soon.

As pointed out he is a legit two sport star.

DOwn to NE and Penn State having eliminated MN and Arizona State

I think we have a shot here due to distance.

Does he want to play both, maybe? If so the BB team could probably use him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back