• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Davidson out interviewing with Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows why Davison is with him. Who cares? I mean, it sounds like such a trivial issue. As others have said, if he makes good hires, why do we care about the process?

I'm as frustrated as anyone about Frost's tenure so far, but this tendency to nit pick everything gets old. Maybe let's see who the coaches are then nitpick.
Well, the only hire Davison has been involved in so far hasn't been a failure so far. Maybe it's wise to reevaluate his involvement. ;)

I'm sorry, but no crap. He's 15-29 here. I wouldn't expect a lot of glowing praise to flow over a coach who hasn't had a winning season in 4 years. That should be obvious. If it wasn't Scott Flogging Frost you'd be screaming for a coaching change too.
But it is Scott Frost, and we've got him for another year. Add to that he's fired several close friends from his staff, taken a guaranteed 8 million off his contract, admitted he needs to get new ideas and help to make this team better, and already hired a guy many recognize as one of the top recruiters and extremely talented position coaches away from his home state. How many 'shoulda coulda' wins did we have over the last 4 years? 2 dozenish? How many 'we weren't even close' losses did we have? Half a dozenish? That by itself should create some hope, not glowing praise, hope.

How you can't see those as reasons enough to be a little more hopeful, even a smidge upbeat suggests you just prefer bitching. I usually pack it in when I see the players or coaches not seeing any hope. I saw it with Callahan, and with Riley. That's hasn't happened with this crew, so no, I'm not screaming for a change, I'm screaming for improvement. Try it for a change, you might be surprised how much better life is when you aren't bitching 24/7.

But it is Scott Frost, and we've got him for another year. Add to that he's fired several close friends from his staff, taken a guaranteed 8 million off his contract, admitted he needs to get new ideas and help to make this team better, and already hired a guy many recognize as one of the top recruiters and extremely talented position coaches away from his home state. How many 'shoulda coulda' wins did we have over the last 4 years? 2 dozenish? How many 'we weren't even close' losses did we have? Half a dozenish? That by itself should create some hope, not glowing praise, hope.

How you can't see those as reasons enough to be a little more hopeful, even a smidge upbeat suggests you just prefer bitching. I usually pack it in when I see the players or coaches not seeing any hope. I saw it with Callahan, and with Riley. That's hasn't happened with this crew, so no, I'm not screaming for a change, I'm screaming for improvement. Try it for a change, you might be surprised how much better life is when you aren't bitching 24/7.

Shoulda coulda wins aren't wins though and shoulda coulda wins against everyone else in your division just means you finished at the bottom in year four. Now we're starting over on offense because shoulda coulda wasn't enough, but we lose almost all our impact players on defense. That doesn't comfort me at all.

So, let me see if I understand. If you interview more than one candidate, you are down to second or third choices? I would have thought they would interview ALL the candidates BEFORE choosing who they want. Then, if the first choice turned them down, you choose the next choice fr9m the list of already interviewed candidates.
Fair point, but the process began, hopefully, before our coaches were even let go. Frost had to have some idea of what he is looking for, who might be available, and from there I hope he would have prioritized his goals. First choice turns you down, move onto the second. While time may not be of the essence, there is a benefit to locking your choice down sooner rather than later...recruiting, planning, losing a first choice while interviewing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices.

Fair point, but the process began, hopefully, before our coaches were even let go. Frost had to have some idea of what he is looking for, who might be available, and from there I hope he would have prioritized his goals. First choice turns you down, move onto the second. While time may not be of the essence, there is a benefit to locking your choice down sooner rather than later...recruiting, planning, losing a first choice while interviewing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices.
I hope these two are capable and competent to pull this off!!

I can't tell you how many times I've posted jobs, with a particular person in mind, then either found out they weren't interested, had issues I was unaware of, or found 2 or 3 other possibles that I'd never even considered. Why you and some of the others are thinking this all had to be strictly dialed in, and we had some magical target that was going to be tabbed in the first few hours of the staff change just seems weird. Wasn't it a failure on Scott's part in the opinion of many that he didn't look at other possible candidates when he first chose to come to Nebraska? Even in coaching circles there are dozens of really good options that even the most veteran of coaches are unaware of. It's word of mouth, it's referrals from others that can quite often give you some really great candidates. If someone I talk to isn't interested in the position for whatever reason says, 'It's not for me, but if I were looking to fill the role, I'd call Coach XYZ. I've spoken with him several times, and he's always surprised me with his innovative thinking'...or whatever. Add to that the sudden drama on the coaching landscape, guys getting jobs, guys becoming available. I think it has certainly impacted some of the candidates, both that we wanted, and that we hadn't considered, in this search.

But we really don’t know if that was his process. He may have identified a number of potential coaches, measured interest, then decided to interview the ones showing interest. If he did that, he may want to interview all of them before choosing.

I just hate it when people start throwing around rumors of us being turned down when they have no basis. It could tend to undermine the perception of the person who eventually takes the job.

Heard on the radio that Whipple suddenly resigned. Hmmm!

Last edited:

But we really don’t know if that was his process. He may have identified a number of potential coaches, measured interest, then decided to interview the ones showing interest. If he did that, he may want to interview all of them before choosing.

I just hate it when people start throwing around rumors of us being turned down when they have no basis. It could tend to undermine the perception of the person who eventually takes the job.

Heard on the radio that Whipple suddenly resigned. Hmmm!
aren’t you doing just that? Throwing out a rumor of what his process was without any basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back