• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

David Alston is in the transfer portal

A kid like him, unless he's looking at academics only, should look at a place like SDSU up in Brookings. I know its FCS but he could go and compete and probably play a lot at a perennial contender.

Big congrats to him for taking full advantage of the free education he received via his athletic scholarship. That's actually what college is supposed to be for.

That's true, but JMPO, there should be some quid pro quo in that relationship. I'm not saying he needs to be All-Conference, but he should be expected to contribute in the field in some capacity.

If a kid gets an academic scholarship coming out of HS, he's expected to maintain a certain level of academic standard. He can't get a 1.8 GPA for 3-years.

That's true, but JMPO, there should be some quid pro quo in that relationship. I'm not saying he needs to be All-Conference, but he should be expected to contribute in the field in some capacity.

If a kid gets an academic scholarship coming out of HS, he's expected to maintain a certain level of academic standard. He can't get a 1.8 GPA for 3-years.
Agree.
We shouldnt ignore this,and sure, its a plus to more easily rid players, but accountability has to come into play.
Thhe only positives might be to follow his and ohers post Nebraska doings ON the field, as you elude to, but thats for coaches and programs as to how well they recruited or develop etc.

It doesnt address the players reciprocation on their responsibilities.

Recruiting is such a crap shoot for the majority of players. You never know if the kid has hit their ceiling or not. Will they lose their will to train and prepare. Have they been pushed so hard by their dad, that they now just hate the sport at age 20, and want to quit..... plenty of kids have hit that wall. Not to mention injuries, immaturity, & academic issues. Some maybe just test out well, but are average on the field.... who knows why things don't work out for some kids.

And maybe this is what it looks like when you don't meet expectations on the field. I'm really fine with sending players away with a degree when they aren't seeing the field. Best of all possible worlds for kid and program.

And maybe this is what it looks like when you don't meet expectations on the field. I'm really fine with sending players away with a degree when they aren't seeing the field. Best of all possible worlds for kid and program.
The slippery slope is continued usage by the athletes, continued as in, the Uni honors the contract before,yet the player may or my not have tried to contribute, and may or may not do so again after transfer.

And of course, other than a morals POV, it doesnt help the kid as much as if he had fully applied himself.
A little in the weeds here, but it happens

Last edited:
These are the kinds of guys, along with Nance and Houston that you like to see leave and free up a scholarship, especially when you have like 6 seniors.
People need to understand that not all transfers are by choice. Prior to the transfer rules coaches would sit down the guy and tell him he's not getting any playing time and it would cost the player a year to leave. Now days they sit down with the player and say......."ever heard about this transfer portal thing the NCAA has.....you should check it out."

Last edited:
People need to understand that not all transfers are by choice. Prior to the transfer rules coaches would sit down the guy and tell him he's not getting any playing time and it would cost the player a year to leave. Now days that sit down with the player and say......."ever heard about this transfer portal thing the NCAA has.....you should check it out."
Just having that exact conversation with a friend. We both agree with you. I think Frost is letting kids know that they won’t be playing. He just helping them out the door. That’s how the big programs have done it for awhile.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back