• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Darrin Erstad confirmed new head coach at NU

Just posted this on another thread.

Wasn't expecting a big name because of the move to the B10. Not surprised to see TO pick from within the Husker family, but can Erstad coach? Will he be different in the head role as opposed to assistant? Can he hire a decent pitching coach? Can anyone teach our guys to know when to be patient and when to be aggressive at the plate?

Obviously more questions than answers.

Last edited:
As also probably already stated, Will Bolt has been offered a position as an assistant by Erstad, whether he takes it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

As also probably already stated, Will Bolt has been offered a position as an assistant by Erstad, whether he takes it remains to be seen.

That's actually encouraging. Is there enough motivation for Bolt to leave a HC gig for assistant? Will we pay enough to make it worthwhile for him?

Good luck Erstad. I hope this works out. This is a HUGE gamble IMO. If it works out it will be awesome as I don't see Erstad ever leaving the program.

Much like Iowa State hiring Hoiberg. I think it's a bold move. His name first & foremost will help recruits take notice.

And I think thats what they are saying TO's thought process is more than likely(Never leaving the program that is.) All of these other coaches are great young ones, but they probably would just use NU as a springboard. Especially with the move to the Big 10. So if he surrounds himself with some really good assistants I think it will work out.

Last edited:

Just posted this on another thread.

Wasn't expecting a big name because of the move to the B10. Not surprised to see TO pick from within the Husker family, but can Erstad coach? Will he be different in the head role as opposed to assistant? Can he hire a decent pitching coach? Can anyone teach our guys to know when to be patient and when to be aggressive at the plate?

Obviously more questions than answers.

Agreed. I am supportive of the decision. but I also have some reservations.

Sounds like Will Bolt is on his way to Lincoln as well, I'm assuming to be an assistant coach. Per Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Last edited:

Just a thought regarding Starling, wonder if having Erstad on board as the new coach would make it more enticing to come play at NU rather than going pro. I still hope he comes though I doubt it happens. Just tossing the thought around that having Erstad may sway him a little bit one way or another.

Very TO like. We will see if he has the Midas Touch when it comes to Baseball. I like the choice by the way. A lot is riding on this decision as far as the future of this program and I mean this is huge either way.

That's actually encouraging. Is there enough motivation for Bolt to leave a HC gig for assistant? Will we pay enough to make it worthwhile for him?

I doubt that he is getting a huge salary at Texarkana. I suspect that his pay will not suffer much, if any.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back