• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Darrin Erstad confirmed new head coach at NU

I think this is a good hire for our situation. I believe that we could not have gotten a really big name and it would have been a stepping stone job for an up and comer. I am reallybjacked for the next season (what 8 months)? I also think we get a lot of mention of espn during the CWS.

Congrats Coach Erstad

I like the hire.

He has the $$$$ from his major league career, so not it it to get richer.

He was successful at both college and in MLB and has a ring he can show off when visiting recruits.

He just needs to hire a "hungry staff" and has Bolt hired already.

Best of luck and win DE !

Couple of things.....TO consulted with top baseball players on if Erstad should remain on staff, and threw in the nugget that there was a possiblity of him being coach, the players must have had a positive response.

Secondly, Bolt will be making at least equal to what he made at Texarkana.

Thirdly, Erstad has already made a call to Bubba, have not spoken yet though.

Fourthly, I really thought this would be the other way around. Bolt as HC and Erstad as AC. Maybe Bolt wants to see how the program has been being run and they flip-flop in the future? Erstad is here for the long haul and TO knows how important that is to establish a good program and consistency.

Well, Darin is certainly a person/coach who can relate to Bubba's impending baseball/football decision. I'm sure Darin will be straight with Bubba on the pro's and con's of each decision.

Just a thought regarding Starling, wonder if having Erstad on board as the new coach would make it more enticing to come play at NU rather than going pro. I still hope he comes though I doubt it happens. Just tossing the thought around that having Erstad may sway him a little bit one way or another.

Good question, Tom. Time will tell, I guess.

How many D1 HC have one of these?:Biggrin:

images

I like it. Could have maybe gotten a guy with more front line experience, but there really weren't any "big names" to be had. Erstad should hold some appeal to recruits and will likely be satisfied being here for the long haul (provided he's successful).

I think Darrin will at least give the program a good burst of energy out of the gate, and if he can teach the game, he can create a solid foundation and culture to build upon in a very winnable conference.

Since Erstad was already on the staff, what kind of impact did he already have on our last place Huskers? Would it really have been worse without him?

I'm fine with the hire and especially pleased that we got Bolt (although I thought he would be the HC pick), I'm just wondering how good a coach Erstad is?

Since Erstad was already on the staff, what kind of impact did he already have on our last place Huskers? Would it really have been worse without him?

I'm fine with the hire and especially pleased that we got Bolt (although I thought he would be the HC pick), I'm just wondering how good a coach Erstad is?

making him the voice and face will have impact beyond what he had in his role to this point I think. How good a coach he is will be something he has to prove. I think he'll be able to relate well to the generation he'll be coaching (which in baseball sometimes means nothing, old guys tend to have that air of wisdom about them in this game that young fellas gravitate toward). We'll see, I think he will at least come out full blast trying to prove himself, and if this program needs anything it's someone with some enthusiasm and vision.

making him the voice and face will have impact beyond what he had in his role to this point I think. How good a coach he is will be something he has to prove. I think he'll be able to relate well to the generation he'll be coaching (which in baseball sometimes means nothing, old guys tend to have that air of wisdom about them in this game that young fellas gravitate toward). We'll see, I think he will at least come out full blast trying to prove himself, and if this program needs anything it's someone with some enthusiasm and vision.

I agree, I don't think he had any, if much, say in last seasons team. From what I heard.....

I liked what Erstad said about Anderson calling him and congratulating him and offering any assistance he might need. If Bolt is hired as an assistant I hope he and Darin can brainstorm enough that Darin can get a feel for the responsibilities and obligations of a HC, sort of a mentor?

Im just personally ecstatic that if its even only for a short while that we have Bolt coming on board! I think he is gonna be a huge spark plug in getting us going in the right direction! He and coach Erstad are gonna make a great pair!

That's actually encouraging. Is there enough motivation for Bolt to leave a HC gig for assistant? Will we pay enough to make it worthwhile for him?

It depends on how much Bolt wants to return to Nebraska! What is in it for him? Does he expect to take over when Darin retires? :lol: :rolfl: I don't see Bolt returning, unless he just loves to want to come back to campus. Not a logical reason.

I am happy for Darin, but wonder if it is too soon, without any experience, period! Darin wants to graduate. Hope he only needs a few units. Hardly expect a Manager to coach and take classes at the same time. That is so weird!! ;)

Good luck, Darin. Oh, one more thought: did Darin pay UNL, so he could coach? :cheers:

Oops! I didn't know we got Bolt to come to UNL. Missed that somehwhere. As said, guess he wasn't making much at Texarkana, so why not come to a major institution? Be successful and get a good managerial spot elsewhere. :)

Good luck to both.

GO BIG RED!!!

Last edited:

It depends on how much Bolt wants to return to Nebraska! What is in it for him? Does he expect to take over when Darin retires? :lol: :rolfl: I don't see Bolt returning, unless he just loves to want to come back to campus. Not a logical reason.

I am happy for Darin, but wonder if it is too soon, without any experience, period! Darin wants to graduate. Hope he only needs a few units. Hardly expect a Manager to coach and take classes at the same time. That is so weird!! ;)

Good luck, Darin. Oh, one more thought: did Darin pay UNL, so he could coach? :cheers:

Oops! I didn't know we got Bolt to come to UNL. Missed that somehwhere. As said, guess he wasn't making much at Texarkana, so why not come to a major institution? Be successful and get a good managerial spot elsewhere. :)

Good luck to both.

GO BIG RED!!!

Wow CBob....Anderson has really jaded you. :lol:

I think Erstad's as good a choice as any and I get the feeling that he was just here this season to scope things out and figure out what's wrong. We're not talking major league here....we're talking about recruiting some guys who can hit and pitch in the less-than-minor league and inspiring them enough to want to make something happen every chance they get.

I've seen a few posts about how it's "all over" if Erstad fails....LOL...what's over, last place? If it doesn't work out then you hire a different guy and go from there. We need a few impact players and hopefully Darin or his assistants can bring them in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back