• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Darrin Erstad confirmed new head coach at NU

Just a thought regarding Starling, wonder if having Erstad on board as the new coach would make it more enticing to come play at NU rather than going pro. I still hope he comes though I doubt it happens. Just tossing the thought around that having Erstad may sway him a little bit one way or another.

I wondered that myself. Maybe Dr. Tom has talked to the Starling parents. Who knows. Bubba probably still doesn't come to play football.

Just a thought regarding Starling, wonder if having Erstad on board as the new coach would make it more enticing to come play at NU rather than going pro. I still hope he comes though I doubt it happens. Just tossing the thought around that having Erstad may sway him a little bit one way or another.

I doubt it. Sports Nightly interviewed someone last night who stated that he expects Starling to get around $7 million. He said that he could see no scenario that would keep Starling from signing a pro contract. He also stated that the $7 million would only be offered if Starling gave up football.

I'm more than a little surprised, but pleased.

Erstad isn't going anywhere, so if he's successful as we all hope he will be, he won't bolt to Arkansas.

Congrats to Darin, he's a quality guy and a Husker through and through.

Good luck Erstad. I hope this works out. This is a HUGE gamble IMO. If it works out it will be awesome as I don't see Erstad ever leaving the program.

I agree. Huge gamble. If it works we wikk win the Big 10 more often than not, but if it faills Nu baseball will never return to the success of the 90s.

Hope he hires some great assistants.

Darn, I was hoping Patty would get it and Sophie would be the pitching coach. Oh well ,Darin was my third choice and I won't have to change my avatar. Any idea who will be the pitching coach....is the same staff being retained with Erstad as head coach? Wassup??

Hopefully a coach who played both baseball and football at Nebraska can help Bubba Starling with his decision to do the same.

I'm absolutely ecstatic with TO's choice, he admired the qualities Darin has and TO has always been a great judge of character. Darin brings to the plate an absolute love for the state and program, knowledge of the game both collegiate and pro and a desire to achieve. We'll be in great hands moving forward to the Big 10

Thanks again Tom and GBR

Couple of things.....TO consulted with top baseball players on if Erstad should remain on staff, and threw in the nugget that there was a possiblity of him being coach, the players must have had a positive response.

Secondly, Bolt will be making at least equal to what he made at Texarkana.

Thirdly, Erstad has already made a call to Bubba, have not spoken yet though.

Fourthly, I really thought this would be the other way around. Bolt as HC and Erstad as AC. Maybe Bolt wants to see how the program has been being run and they flip-flop in the future? Erstad is here for the long haul and TO knows how important that is to establish a good program and consistency.

Bubba is gone 7 million reasons not to go to NU

So you think a kid who's not even the top consensus pick, and not even a lock for the top 5 for that matter, will get the second highest signing bonus ever behind Strasburg's $7.5m?

Doubt it.....

He's not near the slam dunk prospect that Harper was last year, and he "only" got $6.25m

Im still in the group that thinks teams will be afraid to draft him with the tough negotiation ahead, and dont want to overpay him, and he'll wind up at nebraska

Fourthly, I really thought this would be the other way around. Bolt as HC and Erstad as AC. Maybe Bolt wants to see how the program has been being run and they flip-flop in the future? Erstad is here for the long haul and TO knows how important that is to establish a good program and consistency.

I did think (and probably hope) for the same... Bolt as HC and Erstad as an assistant. Bolt is simply more proven as a coach. Erstad is really just cutting his teeth. But you can be sure they won't "flip" jobs in the future. While Bolt could one day be HC at Nebraska, it would only be because Erstad has departed (which likely would be because of failure)... no way would have accept a demotion (and nobody should).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back