• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Damon Benning Leaving 1620

I have seen him a lot more on the KETV news broadcasts for Sports segments so maybe that?

longtime 1620 listener - LOVED Damon as a guest on unsportsmanlike conduct where he started. came to not love him as a show host. just always seemed to not want to say what he was really thinking or come down on one side of an issue so much that he was hard to make sense of (as the op put it "cagey"). the serious-take:silliness ratio was just off. I think he is a great guy, loved him as a player, I'd want him to coach my kid in football, but I'll be more excited to turn on their morning show podcasts now that he is not there.

longtime 1620 listener - LOVED Damon as a guest on unsportsmanlike conduct where he started. came to not love him as a show host. just always seemed to not want to say what he was really thinking or come down on one side of an issue so much that he was hard to make sense of (as the op put it "cagey"). the serious-take:silliness ratio was just off. I think he is a great guy, loved him as a player, I'd want him to coach my kid in football, but I'll be more excited to turn on their morning show podcasts now that he is not there.

I liked what he had to say when he would actually come out and say it. Way too much "I know something, but can't tell you, but I know it, wink wink" going on for my taste.

Not necessarily an indictment of DB, but Husker media is hot garbage these days. I see too many more than willing to present rumors as fact for ratings. Lots of ego's in the media as well. Then you have the old school print media vs podcasters (new media) and anyone with a Twitter account who THINK they have insider information. It's all a big diaper fire that I have tried to avoid.

As a longtime listener of sports talk radio, I consider Sharp and Benning one of the best, including considering all the national shows. Damon and Gary have such an incredible chemistry. They have a vast knowledge of sports, can be wildly funny at times, and are just plain damn entertaining. This is a great loss for the industry. I wish Damon the best with whatever he does next.

While he could be cagey, and a bit sanctimonious at times I really enjoyed how him and Sharp played off of each other. I will be curious as to what he will be doing in the future.
Pretty big fan overall of his but his "recent" extra cagey'ness really bothered me. The "you can't handle the truth" about Frost really sat poorly with me.

I'm sure I'll still listen to him if he's on somewhere else, hopefully he opens up more about what he knows when he knows it.

Early Break with sip and Jake on 93.7 the ticket is the best thing going right now for husker radio. I love to catch their podcasts
I could definitely do without the Jake side of that duo. He is insufferable. I get that sometimes he is just arguing to give voice to a certain segment of the fan base but he doesn’t even do that well. Today he tried to argue (poorly) that the sell out streak didn’t matter and after 7+ minutes of hollering that Nebraska has been terrible the last 8 (something few dispute) he finally shuts his pie hole long enough to realize he completely agrees that the sell out streak matters. Whatever.

Not necessarily an indictment of DB, but Husker media is hot garbage these days. I see too many more than willing to present rumors as fact for ratings. Lots of ego's in the media as well. Then you have the old school print media vs podcasters (new media) and anyone with a Twitter account who THINK they have insider information. It's all a big diaper fire that I have tried to avoid.
Our team is hot garbage too. Any connection?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back