• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Damion Daniels...

Do you actually watch any of the games last year. He played plenty of snaps in games. He actually had what I would call a break out season. He needed a RS year to develop and didn't get it.

It's funny how guys always remember Suh as this extremely dominant player, which he was, for 2 years. He was very productive as a Jr and a Sr. Not nearly as productive as a Soph. He barely played as a RS freshman.

There are very few defensive or offensive linemen that come on to a team and are completely dominant from day 1. It just doesn't happen. Playing on the lines is for mature bodies and is a highly technical position. It takes time to learn the position. Even Suh needed time to develop. Steve Warren was an All American his senior year. It was a break out year for him before that he could never stay healthy. He had 1 really good year.

The problem with most peoples memories, and Nebraska's defensive linemen, is that they always had tons of depth. Defensive linemen were usually never any more than a 2 year starter back when Nebraska was really good. Occasionally you had the 3 year starter Jason Peter was that, but even then he red shirted and was a back up his RS Freshman year and didn't play a ton in 1994.
:Sign2cents:I would REALLY like to see one or two of your D lineman make the SUH move this season. We need a difference maker, like Suh was, to break thru this upcoming season. It would be key to getting our first winning season in 4 years.

It's like last year didn't happen.

1619537176640.png

Last edited:

Yep. That is what I saw in the games I watched as well. He only plays in about 20% of the snaps. Worrisome when he was listed as the starter for several games last year. You would expect your starter to go more than 20% of the time. What was more troubling was that after 2 snaps he was completely gassed and they would have to take him out, then you wouldn't see him again until the next series or two. That is troubling if your opponent goes on a 10 or 12 play drive. If Daniels is going to be our starting NG we need him to be in sufficient physical condition to last longer than that.

:Sign2cents:I would REALLY like to see one or two of your D lineman make the SUH move this season. We need a difference maker, like Suh was, to break thru this upcoming season. It would be key to getting our first winning season in 4 years.

Ding! A stud pass rusher from either the OLB position or DL will flip the script on the W-L record regardless of what the offense does.

C

Yep. That is what I saw in the games I watched as well. He only plays in about 20% of the snaps. Worrisome when he was listed as the starter for several games last year. You would expect your starter to go more than 20% of the time. What was more troubling was that after 2 snaps he was completely gassed and they would have to take him out, then you wouldn't see him again until the next series or two. That is troubling if your opponent goes on a 10 or 12 play drive. If Daniels is going to be our starting NG we need him to be in sufficient physical condition to last longer than that.

Sorry, but this isn't really all that accurate in 2020.

Sorry, but this isn't really all that accurate in 2020.

As I stated in my previous post, I re-watched every defensive snap on youtube from the Ohio State, Penn State, and Iowa games last year, specifically watching Daniels on those snaps he was in the game. I believe my observations were accurate. But I am always willing to engage in informed debate. That is what this board is all about. If you believe my observations were inaccurate please state why you believe so. I am willing to listen.

BTW, for those of you who may think I am being too harsh on Daniels...I will state again that I think Daniels is a good NG. He will probably be our starting NG, especially against run heavy teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. My point is that we need him to be in good enough shape to play more than 20% of the time. There will be times when Wisconsin has 14-play drives and 12 of them will be running plays. In those situations we need our starting NG to be able to hang for more than 3 plays without getting gassed and having to come off the field. That was not the case in 2020.

Last edited:
Do you actually watch any of the games last year. He played plenty of snaps in games. He actually had what I would call a break out season. He needed a RS year to develop and didn't get it.

It's funny how guys always remember Suh as this extremely dominant player, which he was, for 2 years. He was very productive as a Jr and a Sr. Not nearly as productive as a Soph. He barely played as a RS freshman.

There are very few defensive or offensive linemen that come on to a team and are completely dominant from day 1. It just doesn't happen. Playing on the lines is for mature bodies and is a highly technical position. It takes time to learn the position. Even Suh needed time to develop. Steve Warren was an All American his senior year. It was a break out year for him before that he could never stay healthy. He had 1 really good year.

The problem with most peoples memories, and Nebraska's defensive linemen, is that they always had tons of depth. Defensive linemen were usually never any more than a 2 year starter back when Nebraska was really good. Occasionally you had the 3 year starter Jason Peter was that, but even then he red shirted and was a back up his RS Freshman year and didn't play a ton in 1994.

HIO's final stats show a NT who had a pretty impressive year

He did quite a bit last last year

I agree. When he can go 100% he has an impact, he drives his opponent into the backfield and disrupts plays. His problem is that he can only go 100% for a play or two. By the third snap he is gassed, they take him off the field and he usually doesn't come back in again until the next defensive series. I watched every defensive snap of the OSU, PSU and Iowa games and at no point is he in for more than 3 plays, usually only 2. It is not situational substitution either because once they take him out he doesn't go back in again until the next defensive series.

I think Daniels can be a critical part of our defense this year. I think he could even be an all-conference type player, but to be that kind of player I believe he needs to improve his physical conditioning. Hopefully he has done that.

I agree. When he can go 100% he has an impact, he drives his opponent into the backfield and disrupts plays. His problem is that he can only go 100% for a play or two. By the third snap he is gassed, they take him off the field and he usually doesn't come back in again until the next defensive series. I watched every defensive snap of the OSU, PSU and Iowa games and at no point is he in for more than 3 plays, usually only 2. It is not situational substitution either because once they take him out he doesn't go back in again until the next defensive series.

I think Daniels can be a critical part of our defense this year. I think he could even be an all-conference type player, but to be that kind of player I believe he needs to improve his physical conditioning. Hopefully he has done that.

I could not disagree more

I could not disagree more

Which part do you disagree with...that he doesn't get gassed after 2 or 3 plays?...or that he could potentially be an all-conference type player?

If you are saying you disagree that he gets gassed and has to come out after 2 or 3 plays I will say that I watched video of several of the games last year and I believe it is true.

I should add that I think it is perfectly fine that you disagree with me. I think it is possible for 2 different people to look at the same video and come to completely different conclusions about almost anything because of different backgrounds, different perspectives, etc. It's all good.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back