• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

D-line bulked up

Stuck in the South

Red Shirt
2 Year Member

I was surprised as to how much bulking up done by some of these D-linemen. I'll have a sip of the the Kool-aid Mr. Perkins and drink it on the steps of the J.M MacDonald planetarium.
Know these guys have "game experience", but will see how they function in crunch time.

I was surprised as to how much bulking up done by some of these D-linemen. I'll have a sip of the the Kool-aid Mr. Perkins and drink it on the steps of the J.M MacDonald planetarium.
Know these guys have "game experience", but will see how they function in crunch time.

I'm excited about some of these kids, but until an NU player's added 'size' bears fruit between the lines, I'm withhold judgement.

I’m pretty excited about the D line this year. Even more so for next season. We definitely won’t be easily pushed around in the trenches. I’m really curious about Wildeman. He may become the pass rusher we need from the DE spot.

Last edited:
I’m pretty excited about the D line this year. Even more so for next season. We definitely won’t be easily pushed around in the trenches. I’m really curious about Wildeman. He may become the pass rusher we need from the DE spot.

Wildeman is a kid I've always been really interested to see on the field, though some of the stuff I'd seen about him earlier in the year make me wonder if they're putting the right kind of weight on him. He had that long, lean look like a 4-3 DE and they're putting a lot of weight on him. Not sure what that does to his playing style, quickness, etc. Some kids it doesn't effect at all.

Our DL actually rotated quite a bit last year, while we lose 1500 snaps, 3 starters, and 2 NFL draft picks, we do return a guys like Stille and Thomas who can carry a bit of the load at DE for us. I just don't think i've ever seen a situation where a position group lost every single starter and didn't see a drop off the following year.

With that said, I do think we have some young talent like Robinson and others that will start challenging our older guys for playing time towards the back end of the year. But it will be a struggle early for us.

Side note: If bulk up is a positive, 26 pounds on a defensive back in 3 months is All-American status.

Last edited:
Wildeman is a kid I've always been really interested to see on the field, though some of the stuff I'd seen about him earlier in the year make me wonder if they're putting the right kind of weight on him. He had that long, lean look like a 4-3 DE and they're putting a lot of weight on him. Not sure what that does to his playing style, quickness, etc. Some kids it doesn't effect at all.
Agree. Too much bulk/weight can be a negative. I read something from Coach T recently and he commented in Wildeman specifically. I believe he noted quickness and explosiveness. I’ll be interested in seeing how he’s carrying the weight and how explosive he looks in camp.

Size, strength and athleticism can be deadly if the player is a quick study.

Lavonte David is a perfect example. I'm not even convinced he knew half the playbook when he stepped on the field for Nebraska, but he had determination, athleticism and an ability to read plays. I'll take kids like that and train them on the playbook any day.

Agree. Too much bulk/weight can be a negative. I read something from Coach T recently and he commented in Wildeman specifically. I believe he noted quickness and explosiveness. I’ll be interested in seeing how he’s carrying the weight and how explosive he looks in camp.

My exact concerns.

Turn an explosive, undersized athlete into a plodding oversized athlete.

Our DL actually rotated quite a bit last year, while we lose 1500 snaps, 3 starters, and 2 NFL draft picks, we do return a guys like Stille and Thomas who can carry a bit of the load at DE for us. I just don't think i've ever seen a situation where a position group lost every single starter and didn't see a drop off the following year.

With that said, I do think we have some young talent like Robinson and others that will start challenging our older guys for playing time towards the back end of the year. But it will be a struggle early for us.

Side note: If bulk up is a positive, 26 pounds on a defensive back in 3 months is All-American status.

The 1995 Nebraska Offensive Line would like to say hello and remind you about their performance after the 1994 line graduated. Your point is well taken...it is rare to find a situation like this. :thumbsup:

sites-google-com.jpg

Last edited:
The 1995 Nebraska Offensive Line would like to say hello and remind you about their performance after the 1994 line graduated. Your point is well taken...it is rare to find a situation like this. :thumbsup:

sites-google-com.jpg
Aaron Graham who started on the offensive line in 1995 was a first team all-conference performer in 1994. So still looking for an example ;)

That said, I suppose national championship caliber teams have some studs waiting to play and may not see a drop off. I worry about a team like us that has three losing seasons in a row, losing all of the starters from a position group and two draft picks from that group, maintaining the same level of play.

Even average linebacker play this year will make the D-Line look better. Bad LB play last year made a great D-Line look average.

We won’t truly appreciate Darrion Daniels or the Davis twins til we see how hard it is to replace them this year. Hopefully Damion can give us more than 20 snaps.

Last edited:

Even average linebacker play this year will make the D-Line look better. Bad LB play last year made a great D-Line look average.

We won’t truly appreciate Darrion Daniels or the Davis twins til we see how hard it is to replace them this year. Hopefully Damion can give us more than 20 snaps.
I've said the same thing in other threads:

Agree with you, I think our LB play could be better but our DL will make it look the same.

What i'm curious of is will a "worse" DL or "better" LBs shape what we see defensively for 2020. If "it all starts up front" we may be in trouble.

Aaron Graham who started on the offensive line in 1995 was a first team all-conference performer in 1994. So still looking for an example ;)

That said, I suppose national championship caliber teams have some studs waiting to play and may not see a drop off. I worry about a team like us that has three losing seasons in a row, losing all of the starters from a position group and two draft picks from that group, maintaining the same level of play.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I agree with Crab, size has never been a substitute for either speed, technique or execution. maybe it was pre-bob devany, but i cant speak to that. someone who gets 35 lbs heavier rarely retains his speed. We'll see

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back