• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CWS Start Times

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Anyone check out the CWS Start times?

4pm & 8pm???

Evidently soccer is now running the show at ESPN because a European Soccer tourney is the reason the start times for the CWS are moved back.

So, IF the 8pm games get off on time (and thats a big if), that means games will be getting over past 11pm.

Thanks NCAA and ESPN! And why should they care, the tickets are already sold!

www.cwsomaha.com

FC, I can appreciate your frustration. Unfortunately, soccer (as much as I can't stand it) is the largest spectator sport in the world. But I think the bigger reason for the change is the almighty dollar to ESPN. Broadcasting in "prime time" allows them to reach a bigger audience, as well as demand a bigger ad fee. One positive, I think, will be continued admiration of the city of Omaha and the TD Ameritrade Park. The CWS has become so big, it's warranted a move to prime time to accommodate more viewers other than those few lucky enough to have tickets.

Sorry, International soccer will beat out college baseball every single time. As much as we love the CWS, it's ratings pale in comparison to what ESPN will get for their Euro 2012 coverage. Also, ESPN can't really dictate what time those Euro games start, but they can dictate what time the CWS games start. Expect this to happen again for the 2014 World Cup also, especially since the World Cup is being played in Brazil, which means all those games will be played in primetime in the US.

Last edited:
Sorry, International soccer will beat out college baseball every single time. As much as we love the CWS, it's ratings pale in comparison to what ESPN will get for their Euro 2012 coverage. Also, ESPN can't really dictate what time those Euro games start, but they can dictate what time the CWS games start. Expect this to happen again for the 2014 World Cup also, especially since the World Cup is being played in Brazil, which means all those games will be played in primetime in the US.

Sure, Euro soccer would beat out college baseball... but it's fortunate that it doesn't have to go up against college football, college basketball, NFL, MLB, or even the NBA. It's still pretty low on the totem poll in the U.S. -- but yes, college baseball is pretty minor in this country.

Otherwise, 8PM does suck... since that's 9PM out East (my time zone). I'd probably be more upset if I thought the Huskers had a shot to play in the CWS, but that's highly, highly unlikely.

I understand the reasoning, but I think its bs that the CWS fan gets pushed around due to the whims of ESPN.

Also, they have done this before a couple of years ago with the World Cup, only I think the start times were 3 & 7, not 4 & 8.

And one thing is for certain: When that clock strikes 10pm central, ESPN will be "showcasing" something Omaha doesn't want it to see: Fans disguised as empty seats.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back