• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cut the Cable

Hooked on Huskers

I'm old as a rock
15 Year Member
Just wondering about new-fangled streaming service (Wide screen TV connection). Main concern, no DVR recording ..... right ? I like BTN channel via YouTubeTV, Hulu, DirecTV NOW, etc.

Anyway, I'm totally confused. No additional TV box? As present, I got AT&T internet modem and old fashion satellite Dish subscriber. I didn't pay attention modem ports. BTW, 2 TV's; my den and family room.

Probably wrong .....
  • phone line connection to my AT&T modem (input)
  • one modem output port, ethernet cable ..... destination: my desktop computer
  • second modem port: directly to my Wide screen TV (streaming connection)
Helped !!!

signed,
I'm old as a rock .......

you can wire your modem to your TV if* you have an available ethernet port on your modem as well as your TV, If your TV does not have a Cat-5 ethernet port (8-wires - looks like it is twice the size of a phone-wire connection) then you can get a streaming device like this Roku () which will plug into an HDMI port on your tv. Most people now are using wireless connections either from a wireless router connected to their modem, or most ISPs (i.e. AT&t in your case) are installing modems with Wifi (a modem and wireless router all in one) But if you don't mind running a cord to your tv, and you don't want the WIFI for your cell-phone, grandkids, etc, then you don't need to go wireless

one thing to check before you look into switching is your internet speed. on your desktop computer, go to this website (http://www.speedtest.net/) and click "GO" look at your download speed result. for a good-resolution, freeze-free tv streaming experience you will need a connection that is north of 10.0 Mbps - this is critically important, if you have a slower connection than this, then you will need to upgrade your internet service first* before you consider a streaming TV service. it is good to check during "peak service hours" (like 7:00-8:00 pm) so that you can get a real sense of what your speed will be when your ISP is handling alot of traffic

I recently dumped Direct TV to go with Youtube TV, and I'm really happy with it, saves me $85 a month. Happy to answer any questions

you can wire your modem to your TV if* you have an available ethernet port on your modem as well as your TV, If your TV does not have a Cat-5 ethernet port (8-wires - looks like it is twice the size of a phone-wire connection) then you can get a streaming device like this Roku () which will plug into an HDMI port on your tv. Most people now are using wireless connections either from a wireless router connected to their modem, or most ISPs (i.e. AT&t in your case) are installing modems with Wifi (a modem and wireless router all in one) But if you don't mind running a cord to your tv, and you don't want the WIFI for your cell-phone, grandkids, etc, then you don't need to go wireless

one thing to check before you look into switching is your internet speed. on your desktop computer, go to this website (http://www.speedtest.net/) and click "GO" look at your download speed result. for a good-resolution, freeze-free tv streaming experience you will need a connection that is north of 10.0 Mbps - this is critically important, if you have a slower connection than this, then you will need to upgrade your internet service first* before you consider a streaming TV service. it is good to check during "peak service hours" (like 7:00-8:00 pm) so that you can get a real sense of what your speed will be when your ISP is handling alot of traffic

I recently dumped Direct TV to go with Youtube TV, and I'm really happy with it, saves me $85 a month. Happy to answer any questions

Thank you for your info. Three weeks ago, I bought two Roku Express (two TV's) and selected Hulu including BTN channel ($39.99 per month). So far no problems at all (cross my fingers). BTW, my internet speed was 15Mbps .... good enough ??

The only thing, DVR "cloud" is practically worthless. For example I liked to record NW vs. Purdue game (Thursday nite) but impossible because Wednesday the Friday out of town.
  • dumped DISH
  • AT&T internet service
  • bought Roku box gadget (two of them)
  • Hulu streaming

Last edited:

I had DirecTV and have rural satellite internet and a TCL Roku TV. We got Netflix and suddenly didnt watch much DirecTV anymore.

As of this week, I now have YouTube TV ($40 w/ unlimited cloud DVR) and a new digital antenna, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Where I live, I can get all the Sioux City and Omaha broadcast channels.

Last edited:
Thank you for your info. Three weeks ago, I bought two Roku Express (two TV's) and selected Hulu including BTN channel ($39.99 per month). So far no problems at all (cross my fingers). BTW, my internet speed was 15Mbps .... good enough ??

The only thing, DVR "cloud" is practically worthless. For example I liked to record NW vs. Purdue game (Thursday nite) but impossible because Wednesday the Friday out of town.
  • dumped DISH
  • AT&T internet service
  • bought Roku box gadget (two of them)
  • Hulu streaming
Not following why you say the DVR Cloud is worthless. Are you saying it does not work? I was thinking of getting youtube tv for a month just in case I don't get uverse tv set up by friday morning.

Not following why you say the DVR Cloud is worthless. Are you saying it does not work? I was thinking of getting youtube tv for a month just in case I don't get uverse tv set up by friday morning.

Disregard my previous #3 post ("DVR cloud is practically worthless"). I figured it out ... Hulu menu is different avenue (click on "My Stuff" path). Now Cloud is well worth it.

Minor minor thing; Hulu menu on guide grid is lame ..... no upcoming shows; only Live TV.

Stream TV newbe here ....

Last edited:

Has anyone tried IPtv? Using eUTV and get over 4000 channels. Dropped AT&T cable, Netfliex and Prime. Running behind a VPN. Looking at Plex or HomeRun for DVR.

I have PS Vue and it's perfect. It's only missing the History channel as far as I'm concerned and it's way less than even good direct tv rates.

I have PS Vue and it's perfect. It's only missing the History channel as far as I'm concerned and it's way less than even good direct tv rates.

I have it as well, and I love it. It's also missing some Viacom channels (Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon), but out of all of them only losing the Nickelodeons was a big deal (to my kids). Locals are fine, sports are surprisingly great, and owning a PlayStation allows me to have an extra device to use with no penalty.

I have it as well, and I love it. It's also missing some Viacom channels (Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon), but out of all of them only losing the Nickelodeons was a big deal (to my kids). Locals are fine, sports are surprisingly great, and owning a PlayStation allows me to have an extra device to use with no penalty.
I had cancelled my directtv because of the price and figured they would call back with a better offer. I took the free trial with Vue just to try it...when Directtv called back I told them I would take their services if they could match Vue's price.

Has anyone tried IPtv? Using eUTV and get over 4000 channels. Dropped AT&T cable, Netfliex and Prime. Running behind a VPN. Looking at Plex or HomeRun for DVR.
Looking at this right now. Do you actually need to use a VPN since you are not downloading anything? I would think if you are only streaming you would be safe. I have a VPN anyway but was wondering if it was necessary for an IPTV network.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back