• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Curt McKeever On 1620 The Zone

How about if I'm curious but still don't want to listen? :Biggrin:

Fill me in a bit, please...(though obviously I can basically guess).

Bad weekend for NU's Big 12 Tourny hopes. Lose 2/3 to a Baylor team that hasn't won a Lincoln series since '97.

McKeever: "It's sad to be talking about NU not making the B12 Tournament. Its one thing to talk about not making Regionals, this is something else. Now they're about to play the better of the Big 12 and a fiar over/under would probably be one win in the next six games."

Q: Is it a talent or coaching issue?

McK: Its probably more talent, but there are things where if you look closely you wonder--like Cooper not playing a lot right now. I understand he's got [a lot] of strike outs. But he's also hitting.280 and a good CF. I don't wanna bag on his replacement, who's hitting .100, but it makes you wonder why he's playing."

Comments on the lack of depth, how NU can't just pull a guy and plug in a new one who will produce. They're lacking that right now. "Who's responsibility is that? The coaches. "

Q: The people who are still paying attention to the program, people who are clamoring for a change, need to consider--Who takes that job that becomes a much worse job in 4-5 months because of the B1G affiliation. Its worse, isn't it?

McK: Oh yea. The person who takes the job is someone who wants to use NU as a stepping stone, not their last stop. There are a lot of people who would want the job. But the B1G move is a killer for baseball. About to be MUCH harder to recruit. As long as TO is here next year, I don't see a change coming. But there are plenty of people, young people, who would take the job.

Q: When you look at what is going on in terms of hitting, does NU have the right philopshy for the people they have?

McK: Yea, I mean, its sometimes hard to watch when you're used to 'get a guy on, get a home run.' But NU isn't built that way. The reality is it takes 3-4 things to happen now to get a run unless they walk into a really bad pitch and get lucky. For NU to score, it takes a lot before the run comes around. NU's middle lineup is as good as anyone in the league but the bottom third is a major hole. I think that's why you see them changing things--they're reaching and hoping. Their leadoff, Kiser, isn't hitting a leadoff batter's numbers. But they don't have anyone for that spot. They just don't have it. They're short in personnel.

[Continued In Next Post]

Q: Do you think NU fans would be satisfied with this becoming a stepping stone job? Would they be okay with a new staff every 3-4 years?

McK: Great question. Realistically? Unless the B1G starts caring about baseball, why wouldn't you? As long as you're at the top of the B1G--why not? Yea, I think they'd be happy with it. They'd have to be.

Q: What do they have to do in the last ten games to make the B12 Tournament?

McK: If you look at the standings, the 5th place team still only has 6 wins. But when you look at their schedules, they won't be going 1-2 in their next series. The one thing they have in their favor is playing Missouri in their last series, who they're tied with. But I don't think they'll be tied when they meet. They'll have to do something very, very surprising. They have to get lucky. It doesn't look good for NU. But the league is so mediocre that they're not out of it.

Q: You said you'd be surprised by a coach change, is that just because of TO and his interest in program stability?

McK: Primarily. I can't go much deeper than that. But I know TO has been supportive of Mike, and he personally likes him. Tom is big on second chances. And I think he believes Mike is the right person. He'd say they've had a down year, but they're getting more competitive. As long as they're getting better, Tom won't want to make the change. Especially with the conference change.

Q: You said you'd be surprised by a coach change, is that just because of TO and his interest in program stability?

McK: Primarily. I can't go much deeper than that. But I know TO has been supportive of Mike, and he personally likes him. Tom is big on second chances. And I think he believes Mike is the right person. He'd say they've had a down year, but they're getting more competitive. As long as they're getting better, Tom won't want to make the change. Especially with the conference change.

This.

What I don't understand is how suddenly making the Big 12 conference tourney is viewed as some kind of accomplishment? That should be a freakin' requirement, not an accomplishment!!!

Wow, just wow. Visited with a gentleman today who is a long time supporter of NU baseball, and baseball in general, who couldn't disagree with the fact that MA has lost (again) this team.

One year might be an anomaly.
Two years might be a trend.
Three years and there's no longer "might be"... it's now fact that Mike Anderson is an absolute failure.

The bandwagon that was once overflowing, entertaining, and supportive has been drained of most of its life now.

I refuse to believe Tom can be so blindly ignorant... but he is likely blindly loyal. Either way, Osborne does not have my 100% support. Great man, great coach... gravitating toward mediocrity (or worse) as an AD.

Last edited:
One year might be an anomaly.
Two years might be a trend.
Three years and there's no longer "might be"... it's now fact that Mike Anderson is an absolute failure.

The bandwagon that was once overflowing, entertaining, and supportive has been drained of most of its life now.

I refuse to believe Tom can be so blindly ignorant... but he is likely blindly loyal. Either way, Osborne does not have my 100% support. Great man, great coach... gravitating toward mediocrity (or worse) as an AD.

On this you and I agree HWM. I love TO and revere his image and career, but I'm beginning to wonder if MA has some secret photos of TO in a compromising position that is allowing him to still be the baseball coach.

On this you and I agree HWM. I love TO and revere his image and career, but I'm beginning to wonder if MA has some secret photos of TO in a compromising position that is allowing him to still be the baseball coach.

Yep... but sadly, 80-90% of Nebraska fans really don't care about Husker sports outside of football... so they will never have the same opinion as someone like you or me.

I've been a regular, active contributor on both the baseball and basketball forums for quite a few years now (as long as we've had both forums, which we didn't originally). I'm there for almost every game for both sports. I'm expressing my opinions on off-days as well. I truly care about these sports or I wouldn't waste my time here. Tom benefits by the fact that most people truly don't care. A shame for the vocal minority.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back