• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Curry rice

Nishioka

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
Made this a bunch of times while I was in Japan... had it again tonight after I got my hands on the requisite curry roux and figured I'd pass it along in case anyone is looking for something different to try one night. Curry rice is something of a national dish in Japan despite not being native to the cuisine (they got it from the British about 150 years ago and it was popularized in the early 20th century) and is remarkably filling.

First of all if you have access to an Asian grocery, go get a box of this stuff - http://www.house-foods.com/curry/products_detail.aspx?id=72. And if not just order it online. Vermont Curry is an apple/honey flavored concoction that is easy on the tastebuds. This is the exact same thing I got while I was in Japan, just with the box printed in English instead.

Directions:
Do what it says on the back of the box you bought. :lol:

(Seriously, all you do is cook up some meat and vegetables in a pot of water, add in the blocks of roux, and boom - dinner. So simple even I couldn't screw it up after 2 or 3 tries.)

Serve with steamed white rice.

Eat with a spoon.

Result:
curryrice.jpg

Last edited:

Japanese style curry is great stuff. We got a CoCo Curry House at the mall that I eat at every once in awhile and a little Japanese take out counter at the grocery store across the street from my place that I get Chicken Katsu Curry at least once a week from.

Japanese style curry is great stuff. We got a CoCo Curry House at the mall that I eat at every once in awhile and a little Japanese take out counter at the grocery store across the street from my place that I get Chicken Katsu Curry at least once a week from.

OH MY GOD.

I went to CoCo's about 300 times while I was in Japan last year. That stuff is good! :Biggrin:

Do they do the thing in Hawaii where you have to pick the spiciness on a scale of 1-10? I do 10 every time and it's a kick in the pants.

Nishioka, don't know if you'll see this or not but I'm back in Japan with my wife and daughter visiting her family in Kanazawa and have to admit I never had doria last time I was here. You don't have a shrimp doria recipe by chance do you? I've got hooked on that stuff this trip.

Last edited:

I haven't had doria either... seems like it's something you'd find at a family restaurant, which is something I didn't do a whole lot while I was in Japan so I appear to have missed out. (Went to Bikkuri Donkey a couple times, but most of us usually just went for ramen or CoCo Ichibanya if we were eating out.)

Looks like there are some recipes out there on the interwebs. I also found one in this Rakuten Recipe app for Windows 8. Might try it sometime but I'll have to translate it first!

http://kitchenwizardmari.com/2009/11/09/and-finally-doria-proper-way-in-case-i-havent-convinced-you/

I prefer it with Tonkatsu, problem is I can make it, but it takes work

I prefer it with Tonkatsu, problem is I can make it, but it takes work

I used to do it the easy way... buy it off the deli line at the food library. :Biggrin: Take that, a package of instant curry (the kind where you drop the bag into boiling water), and some rice, and you got some ghetto curry rice for when taking the train into town for the real thing is just too much work.

I haven't had doria either... seems like it's something you'd find at a family restaurant, which is something I didn't do a whole lot while I was in Japan so I appear to have missed out. (Went to Bikkuri Donkey a couple times, but most of us usually just went for ramen or CoCo Ichibanya if we were eating out.)

Looks like there are some recipes out there on the interwebs. I also found one in this Rakuten Recipe app for Windows 8. Might try it sometime but I'll have to translate it first!

http://kitchenwizardmari.com/2009/11/09/and-finally-doria-proper-way-in-case-i-havent-convinced-you/

Thanks for the reply. You were right about getting the doria at the family restaurant type of place. I'll have to figure something out recipe wise when I get a chance. My wife claims she can make it but that remains to be seen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back