• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Current analytical projection

Bubble teams should not get angry with the selection committee. They should be angry with themselves for not doing well enough to be off the bubble.
I will be disappointed if my huskers don’t make it, but if they miss, it’s their fault

I completely agree with this thought. If you're on the bubble, it means you put yourself in position to be left out.

With Davidson winning, that means that the Atlantic 10 gets 3 teams; I am having a hard time digesting the A10 getting 3 teams and the B1G getting four. If I'm on the committee, Davidson gets St. Bonnie's spot.

While I grasp this argument, the committee has always had the role of picking teams based on their individual merit. Not their conference affiliation. We count teams in each conference. The committee is not supposed to do the same.

Yes, I will certainly be disappointed if the HUSKERS don't make the dance. While they did have their chances to get a couple of big wins to better their odds of making the tournament, I still say there shouldn't be any doubt that a 13-5 B1G conference record and a 4th place finish is worthy of a bid.

The Illinois loss is the death nail in Nebraska's coffin. They were bubbling then and knew they needed to not slip up and they did.

Probably.

Maybe even more significant, however, was the crushing, close loss to Kansas.

Sure, Illinois was the bad loss we needed to avoid. But what we needed even more was a quality win. KU would have been that win. And we had our chance. And we'd be dancing with that win -- no doubt in my mind. I'm not quite as sure that a win over Illinois instead of a loss would have absolutely made the difference (though it is significant).

Last edited:
Yes, I will certainly be disappointed if the HUSKERS don't make the dance. While they did have their chances to get a couple of big wins to better their odds of making the tournament, I still say there shouldn't be any doubt that a 13-5 B1G conference record and a 4th place finish is worthy of a bid.
In my obviously biased opinion, I think the Huskers belong in the big dance. But looking how things shook out I understand why they didn't make it. I feel they deserve to be there more than some who are going to make it at-large but all of these teams have arguments for and against so it comes down to something as simple as just beating poor Illinois late in the year and we didn't get it done.

Probably.

Maybe even more significant, however, was the crushing, close loss to Kansas.

Sure, Illinois was the bad loss we needed to avoid. But what we needed even more was a quality win. KU would have been that win. And we had our chance. And we'd be dancing with that win -- no doubt in my mind. I'm not quite as sure that a win over Illinois instead of a loss would have absolutely made the difference (though it is significant).
Imo, that loss is a perfect 'yeah but' for anyone on the fence about Nebraska. A 14-4 conference record and no extremely bad losses I think gives them the benefit of the doubt. That horrible loss completely shifts their image.

Last edited:

Imo, that loss is a perfect 'yeah but' for anyone on the fence about Nebraska. A 14-4 conference record and no extremely bad losses I think gives them the benefit of the doubt. That horrible loss completely shifts their image.

Though most teams in the tournament will have bad losses.

My point being -- the argument against Nebraska has never been their conference record or standing. It's been the lack of quality wins. KU would have been that win. And if you have a win over a 1-seed -- regardless of being 13-5 or 14-4 in the Big Ten -- NU is dancing. We probably wouldn't even be in the bubble discussion. A win over Illinois instead -- and we still have the same argument against us (quality wins) -- and would still be on the bubble. Yes, higher up on the bubble rankings -- but very likely still on the bubble.

Last edited:
Though most teams in the tournament will have bad losses.

My point being -- the argument against Nebraska has never been their conference record or standing. It's been the lack of quality wins. KU would have been that win. And if you have a win over a 1-seed -- regardless of being 13-5 or 14-4 in the Big Ten -- NU is dancing.
I agree with what you are saying about the Kansas win, I just think if we beat Illinois we still would have gotten in. Beat Kansas and we could have probably lost more games.

Its amazing how one made 3 can be so crucial to a whole season.

The B1G schedule hurt us a bit too. Having only 1 shot at the top 3 teams and all on the road. I’m not blaming the B1G by any means, but it certainly didn’t work to our advantage.

This. Things just didn’t break right. We soundly beat Ohio State at home.

The B1G schedule hurt us a bit too. Having only 1 shot at the top 3 teams and all on the road. I’m not blaming the B1G by any means, but it certainly didn’t work to our advantage.

It is hard to blame the Big Ten.

As little did the conference know Purdue and Ohio State would be two of the top three. Especially Ohio State. Michigan State was the only team that really performed as expected.

On the flip side, we did get Michigan at home (and not away).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back