• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CU Board of Regents calls Special Meeting for March 8th.

The Regents' web site says the meeting adjourned at 9:45. Did anyone hear any detail on what was discussed?

I believe it was a Fox executive that recently said that the networks are seeking rivalries. AZ and ASU, Utah and BYU - good TV there.

Yormark is shrewd.

One of my issues with NU in the B1G is that there aren’t any raging rivalries. Goodness, in those Big 12 days, we had some nasty ones. That makes it a lot more fun.
The AZ schools gets the Big 12 into an tv market but the programs themselves don’t have many people excited.

According to medium.com, neither AZ nor ASU were even in the top 50 most watched teams last year. According to Sports Media watch, last year the AZ v ASU game had only 567k viewers on FS1. That made it the 27th most watched game of the day. That is really poor.

The Big 12 will be the 3rd/4th best conference regardless.

Yikes. It’s hard to find the marquee school in that list. BYU or CU?
Cin was in the playoffs two years ago. TCU was in the year prior. CU hasn’t won 10 games the last 3 years combined. CU would easily be the worst team in the Big 12, not sure why they would be the marquee school. You thinking Sanders elevates them?

The Regents' web site says the meeting adjourned at 9:45. Did anyone hear any detail on what was discussed?
I heard they gave Sanders a 8 year contract extension with an incremental raise of an additional $15 million and incentives for winning a game. Can't find a link. But it has to be true.

The AZ schools gets the Big 12 into an tv market but the programs themselves don’t have many people excited.

According to medium.com, neither AZ nor ASU were even in the top 50 most watched teams last year. According to Sports Media watch, last year the AZ v ASU game had only 567k viewers on FS1. That made it the 27th most watched game of the day. That is really poor.

The Big 12 will be the 3rd/4th best conference regardless.

I assume you’re referring to money, rather than the product.

I rate it the 2nd best football conference, best basketball conference. The AZ schools wouldn’t move the needle either way, except AZ basketball would be additive.

Last edited:

Yea,Utah would add a lot

Competitively, yes. All everyone seems to be worried about any more is money.

If the teams with the most money are the only ones that count, we should all be cheering for the New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, and no one else.

Or just haul laundry buckets of money onto the field, with some jerseys sprinkled in, and we can all cheer for that. That pretty much sums up where we are headed.

Competitively, yes. All everyone seems to be worried about any more is money.

If the teams with the most money are the only ones that count, we should all be cheering for the New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, and no one else.

Or just haul laundry buckets of money onto the field, with some jerseys sprinkled in, and we can all cheer for that. That pretty much sums up where we are headed.
Here's the problem.In the NFL, you have small rosters, a draft set up to help a weaker team etc.
The combined monies of the NFL pits more teams to get to the top than before.
There is no such umbrella in CFB,teams making SEC monies arent knocking it out the park and likely never will.

There are no weak fanbases in the NFL,being there guarantees that, not so in CFB.
In the NFL,as a fan,whether your teams in the playoffs oy not, you still choose one team in the SB with gusto, not so in CFB.

IMO,they've captured some of the NFL model by expanding the playoffs, but today,we see fanbases and teams mailing it in in bowl games,unlike the NFL.
Theres no motivation for kids to play all out in bowl games,unlike the NFL where your livelihoods on the line.

But the motivations for coaches wanting to be paid what they're worth will eventually effect the college game imo

Here's the problem.In the NFL, you have small rosters, a draft set up to help a weaker team etc.
The combined monies of the NFL pits more teams to get to the top than before.
There is no such umbrella in CFB,teams making SEC monies arent knocking it out the park and likely never will.

There are no weak fanbases in the NFL,being there guarantees that, not so in CFB.
In the NFL,as a fan,whether your teams in the playoffs oy not, you still choose one team in the SB with gusto, not so in CFB.

IMO,they've captured some of the NFL model by expanding the playoffs, but today,we see fanbases and teams mailing it in in bowl games,unlike the NFL.
Theres no motivation for kids to play all out in bowl games,unlike the NFL where your livelihoods on the line.

But the motivations for coaches wanting to be paid what they're worth will eventually effect the college game imo

Agreed. The NFL has a sweet spot where there is an equilibrium of teams and appropriate talent. If the NFL had 50 teams, the overall quality of play would likely decrease.

In college football, there seems to be talent aplenty for 60 or more teams; that is demonstrated by the competitiveness of FBS teams with traditionally low ranked classes.

Oklahoma State rarely ranks in the top 40 in recruiting, yet is among college football’s top ten winningest programs over the last decade. Whipped a talented Notre Dame in the 2022 Fiesta.

Cincinnati, Boise State, UCF, K-State, Baylor, TCU, Utah, and many others are right there in the mix of the best teams, depending on the year. None are in the top 25 in recruiting most years.

Long term, college football doesn’t benefit from foreclosing all but the “money” programs. And even if it did, where is the end game? 20 programs? Why should tOSU and Michigan continue subsidizing Nebraska or Wisconsin? Why should Alabama continue subsidizing Ole Miss? The ACC is suddenly on edge because FSU doesn’t want to subsidize NC State.

The money chase ultimately is a zero sum game in which there are no winners. We need to be careful what we wish for.

Last edited:

Cin was in the playoffs two years ago. TCU was in the year prior. CU hasn’t won 10 games the last 3 years combined. CU would easily be the worst team in the Big 12, not sure why they would be the marquee school. You thinking Sanders elevates them?

I’m just thinking they would have one of the few national championships in that conference with BYU. Sad state of affairs all around to be certain.

Last edited:
I believe it was a Fox executive that recently said that the networks are seeking rivalries. AZ and ASU, Utah and BYU - good TV there.

Yormark is shrewd.

One of my issues with NU in the B1G is that there aren’t any raging rivalries. Goodness, in those Big 12 days, we had some nasty ones. That makes it a lot more fun.

That, and WINNING those rivalry games.

But there is only ONE true Rival: OU

Second best: Wisky, Iowa, CU, KSU

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back