• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CU Board of Regents calls Special Meeting for March 8th.

RESOLVED that the Board of Regents go into executive session. As permitted by section 24-6-402 (3), Colorado Revised Statutes, the board will discuss the following matter as announced and pursuant to the subsection as listed below: - (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - athletics update on PAC 12

The BoR typically doesn't discuss the minutia of college conferences, other than reviewing membership and navigating legal waters. The day-to-day stuff like scheduling, fielding different athletic teams, etc, typically falls to the AD office. The fact that they mention legal advice in regards to a Pac-12 update tells me they're looking at how to navigate any fees, penalties, and impact of lost/gained revenue with a conference switch.

So, place your bets, folks.
Big XII or Big Ten?

Ralphie's pregnant. That's what the meeting is about.

If I had to bet, I'd say Oregon and Washington to the Big 10 is pretty much a done deal. I also think the league would prefer to expand to 20 or more.

The Big Ten could go crazy and try to snatch up FSU and Clemson, but something tells me that they go more after some combination of Stanford, Cal, Colorado or Utah. Maybe Notre Dame, but I really think the Irish ship has sunk already.
Again, I don't think that's likely at all. UW and OU have already begged to come and been told no, several times. They don't bring the revenue either. It's close to some extent but not enough.

The only team that's a lock to be accepted is ND. I suspect FSU or Miami could be as well. I don't know if Clemson brings enough to the table, haven't really looked.

Once we get past 16 teams we lose the 3/3/6 format that's very logical and fair. I'm willing to bet that outside of maybe ND, the Big 10 stays as is through our media rights period.

Yes they are.

Academically, the Big Ten has said that AAU Membership is not a firm requirement, although it's definitely a nice-to-have. Colorado is an AAU Member. FWIW, so are Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, and Washington (and USC + UCLA).

In terms of football, Winsipedia's Average Ranking, which combines things like National Titles, Conference Titles, Winning %, Heisman Winners, etc., places Colorado #28 All-Time in their power rankings. That would be 11th in the Big Ten. After Penn State at #12, there's a sold band of B-Tier teams in the 20s, including Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, and Colorado.

Here's the Top 10, plus every Big Ten team (and Colorado). The Buffs would be a solid (albeit not elite) addition to the conference.
  • 1 Alabama
  • 2 USC
  • 3 Oklahoma
  • 4 Ohio State
  • 5 Notre Dame
  • 6 Texas
  • 7 Michigan
  • 8 Nebraska
  • 9 Georgia
  • 10 LSU
  • 12 Penn State
  • 20 Wisconsin
  • 21 UCLA
  • 22 Michigan State
  • 23 Iowa
  • 24 Minnesota
  • 28 Colorado
  • 40 Purdue
  • 44 Maryland
  • 48 Illinois
  • 73 Northwestern
  • 86 Rutgers
  • 96 Indiana
In terms of basketball, Colorado isn't exactly Indiana or Michigan State, but they're leaps and bounds ahead of anything Nebraska has ever accomplished. They've cracked into the Final Four and Elite Eight a number of times, but have never won a March Madness title.

NCAA team championships
Colorado has won 27 national championships:
  • Men's Football (1): 1990

• Men's Cross Country (5): 2001, 2004, 2006, 2013, 2014
  • Women's Cross Country (3): 2000, 2004, 2018

• Men's Skiing (11): 1959, 1960, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982
  • Women's Skiing (1): 1982 (AIAW)
  • Co-ed Skiing (8): 1991, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2015

I'm going to go wash my mouth out with soap for having said all this nice stuff about Colorado. But they're easily qualified for Big Ten membership, IMO.

Plus, it would be pretty cool to have the opportunity to play CU and Iowa annually. It almost makes up for not playing Oklahoma anymore. Almost. I'm not sure which team I'd prefer an annual Black Friday game against, honestly. We have history with both, but I think I lean towards Iowa. Maybe throw Colorado in as our annual Halloween weekend opponent?

20 of 27 are in Skiing. I wonder why Nebraska doesn't have that many.

Again, I don't think that's likely at all. UW and OU have already begged to come and been told no, several times. They don't bring the revenue either. It's close to some extent but not enough.

The only team that's a lock to be accepted is ND. I suspect FSU or Miami could be as well. I don't know if Clemson brings enough to the table, haven't really looked.

Once we get past 16 teams we lose the 3/3/6 format that's very logical and fair. I'm willing to bet that outside of maybe ND, the Big 10 stays as is through our media rights period.
Fact remains, out west you need disproportionate populations to achieve very good fanbase/support.Thus the So Cal schools

If I had to bet, I'd say Oregon and Washington to the Big 10 is pretty much a done deal. I also think the league would prefer to expand to 20 or more.

The Big Ten could go crazy and try to snatch up FSU and Clemson, but something tells me that they go more after some combination of Stanford, Cal, Colorado or Utah. Maybe Notre Dame, but I really think the Irish ship has sunk already.
I do think the B1G should wait for the ACC and/or B12 to implode before snatching Oregon and Washington ... the B1G could get those two anytime ... but Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, UNC, Virginia might all bring something else ... an incursion into SEC territory!

Was UW and OU told no, or were they told we're not doing anymore expanding at this time? Wasn't their last meeting just prior to the announcement of the Big 10 leadership shakeup. I kind of figured there wouldn't be anymore expansion talk until the new leadership was in place.

Either way CU isn't coming to the Big 10, Big 12 maybe, but not the Big 10, just doesn't seem like a fit with the other schools.

Was UW and OU told no, or were they told we're not doing anymore expanding at this time? Wasn't their last meeting just prior to the announcement of the Big 10 leadership shakeup. I kind of figured there wouldn't be anymore expansion talk until the new leadership was in place.

Either way CU isn't coming to the Big 10, Big 12 maybe, but not the Big 10, just doesn't seem like a fit with the other schools.
Reports are they were told no. Whether that is a "it's a no for now" or a "it's a no until you grow financially" I'm not positive. Their ability to contribute financially just isn't there. There's been talk that they were willing to accept less than a full share to join but that was shot down as well.

I think the Big10 is good right now at 16 and will only jump for a ND or potentially to get into Florida.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back