• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread

I'll probably adopt Marquette for the rest of the season. They've got the catholic draw for this Irishman and while I am not a fan of the Big East I don't get that "big east" feel from Marquette. With their backcourt and Crowder they could be tough. Problem for them will be running into a big team like UK or UNC. Marquette is a pretty small team height-wise.

Gardner and Wilson add some size, but their best players (Crowder, Johnson-Odom, Cadougan and Blue) are all on the small side for the positions they play. I really enjoy Marquette's style: attack the ball on defense--attack the rim on offense. Wish Nebraska would find a coach who would incorporate that style.

Without quoting bilsker's long post... agree... about the worst matchup possible. Creighton was going up against a team that averaged 81+ points per game -- a high octane offense full of thoroughbreds. Creighton simply isn't known for their defense -- they are best when out-scoring the opposition. Almost impossible to do that against UNC.

Regardless, I'd consider it a fine season for the Bluejays. Nothing to be ashamed about losing to a potential national champion.

Funny as it sounds I don't think CU played bad defense against UNC at all. Not as much dribble penetration trouble as I might have expected or defensive breakdowns. Echenique was nails on defense. A lot of it was simply not being able to effectively defend shots they were in position to defend due to height mismatches. There were games where they were simply awful on defense. This wasn't one of them IMO. A couple defensive performances this year...if CU repeated them against Carolina they'd have scored 110!

Gardner and Wilson add some size, but their best players (Crowder, Johnson-Odom, Cadougan and Blue) are all on the small side for the positions they play. I really enjoy Marquette's style: attack the ball on defense--attack the rim on offense. Wish Nebraska would find a coach who would incorporate that style.

Hopefully, they will.

I'm out for today. Thanks for the discussion. Lots of fun games next weekend. Would be so great if Nebraska could get to the level where sweet sixteens are possible. Maybe someday.....

I'm out for today. Thanks for the discussion. Lots of fun games next weekend. Would be so great if Nebraska could get to the level where sweet sixteens are possible. Maybe someday.....

It's really not that tall of a mountain. Purdue was rather pedestrian in Big 10 play and they just missed beating KU on the back of a great performance by one guy. If that one guy was just a little better in the second half they'd still be dancing.

It ain't happening next year. But a couple good recruiting classes and maybe a gem that others miss...it could happen within a few years.

sheesh...I guess UNC fans have been making internet-tough-guy DEATH THREATS against Ethan Wragge over his foul on Marshall where he ended up getting hurt. I never knew UNC was so soft.

1. The gibbs play was nothing. Henson was just a little sensitive about his wrist. Garden variety stuff. You know how many times a guys wrists get raked in the trenches in a bball game? too many to count.

2. Zeller flopped. It was a foul but nothing too out of the ordinary. Echinique legitimately whopped the ACC POY up all night...he didn't want any more of GE I can assure you.

3. I haven't seen a replay of Wragge's foul yet but Marshall played 8 more minutes after the foul. I don't recall CBS commentators saying anything unusual about the foul.

If UNC is this soft and considers CU "thuggish" they better find some testicles before the tourney resumes.

If UNC is this soft and considers CU "thuggish" they better find some testicles before the tourney resumes.

This.

Ras summed it up in todays OWH, "how many times have you heard a bluejay team being too tough"?

Just realized that with Groselle CU will have a 6'9" center that can play with any center in the country (at the very least defensively) and two 6'11" guys. What other mid major can say that? Granted neither of the 6'11" guys is a Henson...if they were they'd be at UNC! :) But it's a nice luxury for any team to have.

Not sure how McDermott will use them but he's gonna have to find a way to utilize a front line of DM and a combination of 2 of the other three at least at times.

Big is good, but they need to know how to play big.....Sitting at the Mid-America Center Friday night, the game I was looking forward to seeing the most was the Kansas-Detroit matchup....Detroit had 2 6'10" guys in their 5, and those 2 got absolutely manhandled by Kansas....Which is to be expected to a point, but they looked silly....one would get the ball dumped in to him, Kansas would rotate over, and the guy would spaz out....like he had no idea what to do....they couldn't score, couldn't box out, would get an offensive rebound off their own missed layup and would miss again (that happened like 5 times)....one of the bigs for Detroit didn't even pick up his first foul until the second half, which tells me he's soft and defense

Now, I think size is a huge advantage, especially in the MoValley, but uncoordinated size does no good

Big is good, but they need to know how to play big.....Sitting at the Mid-America Center Friday night, the game I was looking forward to seeing the most was the Kansas-Detroit matchup....Detroit had 2 6'10" guys in their 5, and those 2 got absolutely manhandled by Kansas....Which is to be expected to a point, but they looked silly....one would get the ball dumped in to him, Kansas would rotate over, and the guy would spaz out....like he had no idea what to do....they couldn't score, couldn't box out, would get an offensive rebound off their own missed layup and would miss again (that happened like 5 times)....one of the bigs for Detroit didn't even pick up his first foul until the second half, which tells me he's soft and defense

Now, I think size is a huge advantage, especially in the MoValley, but uncoordinated size does no good

What were you doing at the Mid-America Center? ;)

Artino has some skills and coordination. He's not a monster size-wise like Echenique and I doubt he ever will. He does have basketball skills...just not a ton on strength yet.

Groselle...can't really say. All I know is he's a little bigger than Artino and "word" was that he has "held his own" against Echenique in practice. I think Rivals had him as a 3*...his offer list was nothing to write home about.

When it comes to CU and recruiting big men...they aren't generally going to get guys that are ready to step right in. They are such a rare commodity that the Power conferences gobble them up. What you hope is that you catch a guy that is a bit of a project and after a redshirt and a couple more years you have a guy like Tolliver. You certainly aren't ever going to end up with a front line like KU or UNC barring something really wierd.

Akoy will be an interesting deal. Right now he'd get thrown all over the floor in a power conference. Echenique would probably break him. He's a guy that would benefit from whatever program he goes to not needing him to play right away. He's still a raw talent. He was tweeting "i'm with you guys #creighton..." during the bama game...so that's a good sign for CU.

This.

Ras summed it up in todays OWH, "how many times have you heard a bluejay team being too tough"?

I have a feeling that if Creighton was complaining about the "hard" play of UNC, people would respond by saying "that's ball in the big leagues." When it's a mid-major playing physical against a major, it's bush league. Also, I'm sure UNC is accostumed to a certain type of officiating in ACC play, and that type of officiating wasn't taking place Sunday. No doubt GE's forearm to Zoeller doesn't look good on replay, but the officials had every right to go back, and review the tape, and they didn't. That's not Creighton's fault.

I have a feeling that if Creighton was complaining about the "hard" play of UNC, people would respond by saying "that's ball in the big leagues." When it's a mid-major playing physical against a major, it's bush league. Also, I'm sure UNC is accostumed to a certain type of officiating in ACC play, and that type of officiating wasn't taking place Sunday. No doubt GE's forearm to Zoeller doesn't look good on replay, but the officials had every right to go back, and review the tape, and they didn't. That's not Creighton's fault.

This

Etchy.jpg

Not a Creighton fan at all and was glad to see them get blown out by UNC but want to congratulate my CU friends on a great season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back