• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CREIGHTON THREAD 2018-2019

Early game Saturday. After I pick up my sweater vest at the dry cleaners Saturday a.m. i was planning on meeting some chaps for mimosas and brunch before loading up the Tahoe and heading to the game. As I try to refrain from martinis before 5 pm I'll probably indulge in a chardonnay or two while catching the game on the monitors from the Lexus club in the arena. Should be a hoot.
Tahoe? What red-blooded Bluejay fan would be caught dead in a commoner suv. :Biggrin:

The Jays looked fantastic the first half. We now know that we can play our A+ game for at least a half. Krampelj looks healthy and smooth. Froling has heavy feet but he is clean with the ball. Hopefully with Epperson they can develop a strong inside game going into the Big East.

This thread is trash. Take it to another site. You are a garbage human being. A troll.

Appears you are new here. I am going to give you a couple of days off to read the rules and understand that you CAN NOT attack another poster like this

RR

Recommended reading list:

HowtoWinFriendsandInfluencePeopleCover.jpg

I’d have to agree with you that high scores don’t necessarily mean bad defense. Allowing 103 points at home though? There’s no way that couldn’t be poor defense. Also, below average defense is a hallmark of McDermott so I kind of put 2 and 2 together. I didn’t watch the game though, I went to see The Grinch with the family. I checked the scores a few times though and seen they were up at half. They are #1 and Creighton played with them for quite a while, that’s not bad at all.

defense could be a product of their offense, poor analogy would be Frosts offense. The days of 28-6 are over, 54-28 may be the norm.

Finally getting some time to look at the box score and type on a keyboard...

Statistically CU and Gonzaga were pretty close:
FG: 52% (zags) to 49%. CU made 1 more shot in getting 7 more total shots.

3s: 38% to 41% CU made 14 compared to 11. Watching the game it SEEMED like Gonzaga hit a better % than that. In the second they got a bunch of long rebounds on 3s so that may be why.

Rebounds: 12 offensive, 29 Defensive to 11 and 22 for CU. Gonzaga rebounded 37.5% of their misses while CU got 29% of their own...pretty good number for the jays really. I'd like to keep that number down to about 25% but Gonzaga was quite a bit bigger than CU.

Both teams had 8 turnovers. They had 3 blocks, CU had 2.

Really even game until you get to free throws. They were 22-27 and CU was 6-10. That was really the difference in the game. I'm not saying it was refs either. Overall I think it was officiated fine. A couple dumb calls both ways. Not sure what the Kramplj technical was all about.

With 2:17 to go Gonzaga led 90-85. Still a ball game. From there CU just couldn't get a stop without fouling on the next possession and then they couldn't get a shot to go down on their next. Game over. Gonzaga made pretty much all their FTs from then on.

CU had no answer for Hachimura (22pts) and Brandon Clarke (27 on 9-12 FG and 9-11 FTs). Those guys could pretty much get what they wanted when they wanted it. Norvell went for 28 and hit 6 3s. But I don't normally mind forcing a guy to pump up 21 shots and 17 3s to get his but he got 23 of his 28 in the second. Without him catching fire CU wins. From CU's perspective it also didn't hurt that Killiam Tillie...GU big guy averaging 13 and 6...was out. He would have been a problem on both ends. So I'm not under any dilusions that CU is just a few breaks away from rolling with top 5 teams every night.

That said, CU wasn't outclassed. Alexander had 27 pushing his average to nearly 20/game. He's making 45% from 3. He needs to develop a drive game to compliment that shooting. But he has nearly quadrupled his scoring output from last year so... Jefferson had 15 and 9. CU would be in trouble without this guy. He's also a testament to the fact that a guy CAN be coached up to shoot better. As a frosh at New Mexico he was 9-42 from 3 and 24-49 from the line. This year he is 10-15 and 18-25 respectively. Mintz was mediocre, Zegarowski was better but neither were real difference makers. Ballock's shot was off. CU needed one more guy to compliment Alexander and Jefferson with a hot game and it just wasn't there.

To ever get to that "next level" CU needs to find a way to land a couple (hell, ONE!) guys like Hachimura or Clarke. I don't know what their recruiting rankings were out of HS but those two can play for anyone.

Finally getting some time to look at the box score and type on a keyboard...

Statistically CU and Gonzaga were pretty close:
FG: 52% (zags) to 49%. CU made 1 more shot in getting 7 more total shots.

3s: 38% to 41% CU made 14 compared to 11. Watching the game it SEEMED like Gonzaga hit a better % than that. In the second they got a bunch of long rebounds on 3s so that may be why.

Rebounds: 12 offensive, 29 Defensive to 11 and 22 for CU. Gonzaga rebounded 37.5% of their misses while CU got 29% of their own...pretty good number for the jays really. I'd like to keep that number down to about 25% but Gonzaga was quite a bit bigger than CU.

Both teams had 8 turnovers. They had 3 blocks, CU had 2.

Really even game until you get to free throws. They were 22-27 and CU was 6-10. That was really the difference in the game. I'm not saying it was refs either. Overall I think it was officiated fine. A couple dumb calls both ways. Not sure what the Kramplj technical was all about.

With 2:17 to go Gonzaga led 90-85. Still a ball game. From there CU just couldn't get a stop without fouling on the next possession and then they couldn't get a shot to go down on their next. Game over. Gonzaga made pretty much all their FTs from then on.

CU had no answer for Hachimura (22pts) and Brandon Clarke (27 on 9-12 FG and 9-11 FTs). Those guys could pretty much get what they wanted when they wanted it. Norvell went for 28 and hit 6 3s. But I don't normally mind forcing a guy to pump up 21 shots and 17 3s to get his but he got 23 of his 28 in the second. Without him catching fire CU wins. From CU's perspective it also didn't hurt that Killiam Tillie...GU big guy averaging 13 and 6...was out. He would have been a problem on both ends. So I'm not under any dilusions that CU is just a few breaks away from rolling with top 5 teams every night.

That said, CU wasn't outclassed. Alexander had 27 pushing his average to nearly 20/game. He's making 45% from 3. He needs to develop a drive game to compliment that shooting. But he has nearly quadrupled his scoring output from last year so... Jefferson had 15 and 9. CU would be in trouble without this guy. He's also a testament to the fact that a guy CAN be coached up to shoot better. As a frosh at New Mexico he was 9-42 from 3 and 24-49 from the line. This year he is 10-15 and 18-25 respectively. Mintz was mediocre, Zegarowski was better but neither were real difference makers. Ballock's shot was off. CU needed one more guy to compliment Alexander and Jefferson with a hot game and it just wasn't there.

To ever get to that "next level" CU needs to find a way to land a couple (hell, ONE!) guys like Hachimura or Clarke. I don't know what their recruiting rankings were out of HS but those two can play for anyone.

bottome line, in the 2nd half the Zags played like the #1 team, and the Jays played like a young team that suddenly realized it had a chance to win, but didn't know how to do it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back