• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton coach McDermott apologized

Even though I know the answer, how likely would it have been to hear any complaints from European or Polish/Russian Jewish players had the coach said ‘we need to get back to the salt mines’ instead? How about players who’d had family members in prison?

back to the salt mines​

Resume work, usually with some reluctance, as in With my slavedriver of a boss, even on Saturdays it's back to the salt mines. This term alludes to the Russian practice of punishing prisoners by sending them to work in the salt mines of Siberia. Today the term is only used ironically. [Late 1800s] Also see keep one's nose to the grindstone.

Last edited:
I saw this last night and I was a little stunned at what in the world he was thinking when he used that “analogy” phrase etc..

It’s a head scratcher for sure.

The cancel culture mob has already grabbed their torches and pitchforks and I’m not a fan of that in general for sure, but man I’m lost on what he was trying to get across to his team here....
The more I think about this, and if peeps are willing to put aside the learn’ns to be offended by words without context, I can see how it makes some sense. A “plantation” is generally defined as an “agricultural estate” tended to/worked on by the resident labor force. They actually still exist, and the best product comes from everyone working together and for the common goof/goal. Sorta let me a ‘colony’. They existed long before slave plantations existed in the US.

I get the metaphor. But, team cancel doesn’t care whether there was any ill intent, they just care that a word was learn’d to be offensive, and therefore it is.

If he was truly thinking about what he was saying, he would have asked his team to remain on the reservation.
I have always used this analogy in our business meetings when people start going down rabbit holes.

It's a harmless analogy... "Guys, guys...lets not get off the reservation". Hell, I've drew a "tee pee" on the grease board before a meeting and told folks....when I point to this...lets get back on topic."

Now...think of this for a moment.

How is the 'reservation' analogy any less offensive??

The point is, the term plantation has racist undertones (rightly so). Therefore we think it's so much more offensive, when in reality, staying on the reservation should be just as offensive.

Last edited:
I have always used this analogy in our business meetings when people start going down rabbit holes.

It's a harmless analogy... "Guys, guys...lets not get off the reservation". Hell, I've drew a "tee pee" on the grease board before a meeting and told folks....when I point to this...lets get back on topic."

The point is, the term plantation has racist undertones (rightly so). Therefore we think it's so much more offensive, when in reality, staying on the reservation should be just as offensive.

So the reservation analogy is harmless, but also as offensive as the plantation analogy and the plantation analogy has warranted racist undertones? How can those all be true at the same time? Or do you just think it's harmless to use old terms with racist undertones?

Last edited:
So the reservation analogy is harmless, but also as offensive as the plantation analogy and the plantation analogy has warranted racist undertones? How can those all be true at the same time? Or do you just think it's harmless to use old terms with racist undertones?
The INTENT is harmless but yet people like you try and make everything racist. Split hairs somewhere else.

Last edited:

It's only got those undertones because people have been taught that the word has those undertones, and therefore they should be offended.

Heard a black guy on 1620 yesterday trying to explain that if the minority group finds its offensive then it is. He said it doesn’t matter what the majority think. I find that counterproductive. Why can’t we have honest conversations about these topics? My opinion is because one side has already decided they will be offended and believes the other side doesn’t even deserve a voice. Why should the majority cater to 16% of the population and what they find offensive? You know what’s offensive is the amount of times young black people use the N word on social media. If all this is so offensive maybe they should set a better example. Tired of being made to feel like I should Pay for something my great great grand daddy may have done or not done. I’m not him and my family hasn’t ever oppressed anyone.

The INTENT is harmless but yet people like you try and make everything racist. Split hairs somewhere else.

But isn't the problem with intent is that it can't always be known....truly known unless you know the person really well?

If I call my employee a jackass is that harmless? Does it matter what I say my intent is OR does it matter most in if my employee knows me well enough to know my true intent?

UPdate - vs calling your brother you have a great relationship with a jackass. Where intent is probably 99.9% known.

Last edited:
It's only got those undertones because people have been taught that the word has those undertones, and therefore they should be offended.

Your assumption. As obviously you don't know the case for everyone.

That said, can't that be said for every racist, sexist, etc insult?

Bingo. Just like what has been happening the last couple years with the following words...

Patriot

Militia

America

Flag

National Anthem

Make America Great Again

Che

Black Panthers

in regards to what is taught vs the full story/context.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back