• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creating Depth in 2021

19D Cav

Recruit
2 Year Member
So now that most of our Defensive starters are back and are 5th or 6th year Sr's How do our coaches develop the Depth under them so that there is not a massive Drop off or restart on defense in 2022. Defensive Back and Linebacker really need mix younger guys in with all the experienced players this fall.

Last edited:
So now that most of our Defensive starters are back and are 5th or 6th year Sr's How do our coaches develop the Depth under them so that there is not a massive Drop off or restart on defense in 2022. Defensive Back and Linebacker really need mix younger guys in with all the experienced players this fall.
We were going to have a few tight spots at safety and LB, but other than JoJos spot, there has been playing time for the younger guys, not too much at safety, need a few to step up and get o defense, not just special teams.

Guys like NPG need to step it up, Gunnerson needs to be ready to contribute, Payne, itd be nice if he continues to grow into his role.
We have it mostly covered, just need that hybrid guy for the most part, JoJos position

We were going to have a few tight spots at safety and LB, but other than JoJos spot, there has been playing time for the younger guys, not too much at safety, need a few to step up and get o defense, not just special teams.

Guys like NPG need to step it up, Gunnerson needs to be ready to contribute, Payne, itd be nice if he continues to grow into his role.
We have it mostly covered, just need that hybrid guy for the most part, JoJos position
Think Ho'ohuli will be able to fit that hybrid, not immediately but has the pedigree.

Below are our Seniors. Most of Defensive players have said they are coming back.
Here's the names I've seen of those on both sides of the ball: Honas, Bootle, Dismuke, Williams, Domann, Stille, and Falck.
Did I miss anyone?

1610810645483.png

This bodes well for our Defense not so much for our offense.

Miller is retiring.
Wilson, Bubak, are in the transfer portal.
Jaimes, Farniok, Stoll, Mills applying for NFL draft.
Culp, Perez, Chaffin, Gaylord?

2021 Football Transfer Portal (247sports.com)

Last edited:
Below is our Seniors. Most of Defensive players have said they are coming back.
Here's the names I've seen of those on both sides of the ball: Honas, Bootle, Dismuke, Williams, Domann, Stille, and Falck.
Did I miss anyone?

View attachment 58662

Miller is retiring.

I believe Culp is a guarantee to come back

Below is our Seniors. Most of Defensive players have said they are coming back.
Did I miss anyone?

View attachment 58662

Miller is retiring.

How much worse could our offense get? Wait.. do not answer that one! :Lol:

I think you need to rotate younger guys throughout the game

I think you need to rotate younger guys throughout the game
Exactly My worry is with this being a Important year and needing win's that the coaches will feel the pressure and will not rotate enough to create depth, because we will lose a lot on D come this time next spring and I'm tired of hearing how young we are and we need two to three more years to build depth.

Exactly My worry is with this being a Important year and needing win's that the coaches will feel the pressure and will not rotate enough to create depth, because we will lose a lot on D come this time next spring and I'm tired of hearing how young we are and we need two to three more years to build depth.
Notice one thing, and it exists on the staff.
Coach Fish says, if a guys ready, hes ready.
Now, notice whos returned for a plus senior season?

Its coming

more ^competition makes everyone better... sure hope spring practice occurs ...+ fall camp, this team needs reps ... can never have enough quality depth, cause stuff happens.

Get the offense humming and defensive depth will follow as we aren’t relying solely on the defense to save and /or win games on every second half drive.

Largest number of early enrollees in Nebraska's history are set to arrive in Lincoln
Largest number of early enrollees in Nebraska's history are set to arrive in Lincoln | Football | omaha.com
"Nebraska recruits will be arriving from all over the country. They are running back Gabe Ervin (Buford, Georgia); receiver Latrell Neville (Missouri City, Texas); defensive back Marques Buford (Cedar Hill, Texas); defensive lineman Ru’Quan Buckley (Grand Rapids, Michigan); linebackers Randolph Kpai (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) and Seth Malcom (Fremont-Mills); tight ends Thomas Fidone (Council Bluffs Lewis Central) and James Carnie (Norris); offensive linemen Henry Lutovsky (Mount Pleasant, Iowa), Teddy Prochazka (Elkhorn South) and Branson Yager (Grantsville, Utah); and Haarberg.
Factor in three transfers — linebacker Chris Kolarevic (Northern Iowa), running back Markese Stepp (USC) and receiver Samori Touré (Montana) — and Nebraska is adding 15 total players to the fray for the semester. And while their general motivation for coming early to Lincoln is the same — getting a head start on adjusting and competing — the paths NU signees took vary as much as their skill sets. "

With a May 1 date for the Spring game, a possible schedule for spring ball might have Nebraska starting sometime on or around Monday, March 29.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back