• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creating Depth in 2021

It seems, we might be losing a few guys, maybe quite a few, but it seems, the ones in replacement just seem better, more dedicated

I think you need to rotate younger guys throughout the game

A guy like the Polar Bear will be a candidate for that this season. Inferring from other threads that he was struggling with the transition this year and unsurprisingly wasnt ready. However, he is clearly a major component in the fairly near future. Get him 5-10 snaps in 4 games for sure (RS rule) in ‘21 and if he can contribute, same thing every game.

this year was hopefully good for the projects and developmental guys.

A guy like the Polar Bear will be a candidate for that this season. Inferring from other threads that he was struggling with the transition this year and unsurprisingly wasnt ready. However, he is clearly a major component in the fairly near future. Get him 5-10 snaps in 4 games for sure (RS rule) in ‘21 and if he can contribute, same thing every game.

this year was hopefully good for the projects and developmental guys.
His motor won't quit, so that won't be the issue, and he's as strong as they come. He just needs a lot of time to work on technique, especially using his hands, but also how to use leverage and eyes. He played both ways in a small school with a small coaching staff, so he hasn't had the coaching attention to work on D-Line play that he would have had elsewhere. He was double- and triple-teamed on most plays, plus nobody ever ran at him, so he mostly just pursued, all the time. He's raw potential in its purest form.

He'll likely start out in some short-yardage packages with extra D-Lineman so that the guy across from him has to block him, one on one. He'll be a monster in those scenarios. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him slide out over an OT as 1 of the 2 DL rushing the QB in Chinander's Nickle package, specifically against pocket passers in passing situations as he would be able to bull rush OTs. He will be a good complement to trade off with Daniels at NG as each would excel where the other struggles.

I don't expect to see him much outside of special packages until 2022 or so because he'll still be learning how to handle double-teams, cut blocks, etc., at this level.

His motor won't quit, so that won't be the issue, and he's as strong as they come. He just needs a lot of time to work on technique, especially using his hands, but also how to use leverage and eyes. He played both ways in a small school with a small coaching staff, so he hasn't had the coaching attention to work on D-Line play that he would have had elsewhere. He was double- and triple-teamed on most plays, plus nobody ever ran at him, so he mostly just pursued, all the time. He's raw potential in its purest form.

He'll likely start out in some short-yardage packages with extra D-Lineman so that the guy across from him has to block him, one on one. He'll be a monster in those scenarios. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him slide out over an OT as 1 of the 2 DL rushing the QB in Chinander's Nickle package, specifically against pocket passers in passing situations as he would be able to bull rush OTs. He will be a good complement to trade off with Daniels at NG as each would excel where the other struggles.

I don't expect to see him much outside of special packages until 2022 or so because he'll still be learning how to handle double-teams, cut blocks, etc., at this level.

I was thinking along the same lines re: 3rd down packages. Get him situational spot work that puts him in a better likelihood of success and if we get him some garbage time reps at some point, so much the better.

I’m pretty much over the idea that we are going to build depth by ever getting garbage time reps. Can you name even 10 games in the last decade we got significant reps to the 2’s and 3’s? It’s such an outdated cliche-we just gotta get over that bit of 80’s-90’s nostalgia as well. With the offenses the way they are today, 3 and 4 score leads are not necessarily safe into the 4th quarter.

After the last 3 years, Scott needs to be all in on 2021. The seasons of doing things like replacing starters with promising freshmen, etc. are over.

Nebraska will start its winter conditioning period on Monday, Jan. 25. He said “the majority of the team” is back on campus and has gone through the required period of testing and quarantine per the university’s overall guidelines. Nebraska has 11 early enrollees from the 2021 recruiting class on campus as well as two grad transfer additions already in town—linebacker Chris Kolarevic and wideout Samori Touré.

Spring ball, Frost said, will begin in late March and lead up to the end of April. Spring game is 1 May 2021.

I was thinking along the same lines re: 3rd down packages. Get him situational spot work that puts him in a better likelihood of success and if we get him some garbage time reps at some point, so much the better.

I’m pretty much over the idea that we are going to build depth by ever getting garbage time reps. Can you name even 10 games in the last decade we got significant reps to the 2’s and 3’s? It’s such an outdated cliche-we just gotta get over that bit of 80’s-90’s nostalgia as well. With the offenses the way they are today, 3 and 4 score leads are not necessarily safe into the 4th quarter.
Like to see him in in those RZ situations where it's first and goal at the 3 and we've had to kick FG's? :Banghead: Also like to see our 230lb QB undercenter in those situations as opposed to starting 6 yds in the backfield.

I'm careful not to talk about depth too much after the dialogue I got into in regard to our QB situation for 2020. With that said, really depends on what we consider to be depth. WR has guys like Manning, Betts, Brown, etc., but the most receptions returning is 13 on their career. Do we have depth at TE? We have Austin Allen and then a Kurt Rafdal that barely gets used, so do you consider Fidone being good for depth?

I'm careful not to talk about depth too much after the dialogue I got into in regard to our QB situation for 2020. With that said, really depends on what we consider to be depth. WR has guys like Manning, Betts, Brown, etc., but the most receptions returning is 13 on their career. Do we have depth at TE? We have Austin Allen and then a Kurt Rafdal that barely gets used, so do you consider Fidone being good for depth?

Travis Vokolek?

You would think I wouldn't forget about the guy ahead of Rafdal. But alas.... here we are.

Ha ha, it's all good. I think TE is arguably the best position on the team as far as depth, and I hope they take advantage of that next year. Split Fidone out wide and with Allen or Vokolek on the field.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back