• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could NU have a top 10 offense in 2019?

#4 as well. Georgia (or UMass) as Ohio State. Kind of hard to take this article (and to a certain extent, this website) seriously when they make TWO blatant errors like this.

C'mon guys.:Biggrin::Biggrin: First Thom, now Bigger Ed here..... These are not errors. They are picturing guys that are transferring into those programs. As good as these guys are, they have not been photographed on the field wearing the uniforms of the schools to which they have transferred. I blame the lazy guys in charge of photoshopping for 247 though. They could have easily photoshopped Justin Fields into an Ohio State uniform...

Finding a replacement for Morgan will be the key. Even if Washington isn't as good individually as Ozigbo, the line should be better to offset any difference.

You can replace a 1000 yard rusher. It's harder to replace a 1000 yard receiver. Ozigbo was good, but Morgan was an all-time great. I don't think people realize just how much impact he had at Nebraska.

C'mon guys.:Biggrin::Biggrin: First Thom, now Bigger Ed here..... These are not errors. They are picturing guys that are transferring into those programs. As good as these guys are, they have not been photographed on the field wearing the uniforms of the schools to which they have transferred. I blame the lazy guys in charge of photoshopping for 247 though. They could have easily photoshopped Justin Fields into an Ohio State uniform...
They should have used different players and got the uniforms right. The article is about top 10 offenses, not top 10 offensive players.

Finding a replacement for Morgan will be the key. Even if Washington isn't as good individually as Ozigbo, the line should be better to offset any difference.

You can replace a 1000 yard rusher. It's harder to replace a 1000 yard receiver. Ozigbo was good, but Morgan was an all-time great. I don't think people realize just how much impact he had at Nebraska.
I honestly believe by mid-season Spielman will have our fans saying Morgan who? All kidding aside Morgan was a super talented receiver but he also dropped several huge critical passes. Yea it happens but still I wondered how he made those spectacular catches while missing some right in his hands?

Bottom line we'll miss him but if another receiver can step up to take some of the pressure off Spielman I think we'll have a killer passing attack.

I honestly believe by mid-season Spielman will have our fans saying Morgan who? All kidding aside Morgan was a super talented receiver but he also dropped several huge critical passes. Yea it happens but still I wondered how he made those spectacular catches while missing some right in his hands?

Bottom line we'll miss him but if another receiver can step up to take some of the pressure off Spielman I think we'll have a killer passing attack.
Spielman was a great complement to Morgan, and he's going to be the top guy for sure this year. He'll need someone to step up and be what he was to Morgan. If that happens we'll be in good shape!

Spielman was a great complement to Morgan, and he's going to be the top guy for sure this year. He'll need someone to step up and be what he was to Morgan. If that happens we'll be in good shape!
Nobody is going to miss Morgan more than Spielman. That said, I think we have some guys step up and become dynamic playmakers for Nebraska at WR.

Last edited:
Toss out the Michigan game (132 total yds) and we'd be in 12th place not 25th at the end of 2018. We're not going to see anyone in 2019 hold Nebraska to 132 total yds assuming AM stays healthy imo.

So I can see Nebraska jumping into the top 10 offenses for sure...........
AM staying healthy is my single biggest worry for this upcoming season.

I believe most fans think/believe that AM will pass for more yards next year, I am thinking in the 3400-3500 range which would mean finding replacements for Morgans 1000 and then another 600-700. Same with the rushing, I believe NU will rush for more yds. than last year, again meaning finding replacements for Ziggys 1000 and then more. Alot of that will simply come from more snaps (a few more 3rd down conversions and 3rd down stops per game). Who those players will be Im not quite sure. There will be more production from Washington and AM and Speilman for sure, also believe from all of our TEs. Robinson will add a bunch (Im thinking in the 600-700 in receiving and maybe 300 rushing) and Miles in the 700-800 range rushing. Beyond that Im not confident who will step up, but am confident that people will.

I look at last year and determine how far "away" they were from Top 10 rankings to begin my assessment as to whether they can be a Top 10 offense in 2019.

- In 2018 Nebraska ranked 25th in Total Offense at 456 yards per game. Add another 44 yards per game and that puts them in the Top 10.

- In 2018 they ranked 57th in Scoring Offense at 30 points per game. Average 5 more points and that puts them at #25. Average 10 more points per game and that puts them at #10.

Making the Top 10 is attainable in 2019 but there are many factors and it isn't solely relegated to the offense. A better defense can help an offense immensely. Creating more turnovers; stopping 3rd & long; getting 3 & out more frequently gets the race horse offense back on the field and can ultimately wear down the opponent. Special teams are huge for both offense and defense - definitely need to keep improving on that element.

Year 2: IMO it took the offense to figure things out but I thought the progress from Game 1 to Game 12 was comforting to see. They weren't perfect but Year 2 should present a better and more efficient product on the field. Sure, Nebraska will miss Stanley and Ozigbo but the staff won't be wasting time teaching the fundamentals of the offense as much as they were last year. A better understanding will go a long way for this offense which will ultimately open up more of the playbook. We saw some of that in the last 4 or 5 games.

Goals of Top 10 or whatever is fun to point to but I would prefer to see a more balanced team. Offense, defense, special teams, play calling and coaching. Put all of those on the same track and Top 10s will happen.

They should have used different players and got the uniforms right. The article is about top 10 offenses, not top 10 offensive players.
This was my thought when @BubbaGene pointed it out. If they are a top 10 offense surely there is another player they could show. especially when both teams are the Tigers.

I really hope it is plug and play, but I'm always cautious about juco kids coming in and making an instant impact. I don't think the fans gave Ozigbo enough credit for how good he really was prior to this past season.

Yep, and unfortunately we did learn about a Juco RB last year...of course I hope you are WRONG. :Lol:

Here's what you need to consider when it comes to the BIG. The conference had eactly 1 offense (OSU) ranked in the Top 10 and 1 in the Top 25 (Nebraska). Suggests to me the conference isn't exactly loaded with dynamic offenses which probably means our D just needs to be serviceable. Sort of middle of the pack and we can win 9 or 10 games. Perhaps even more with our really tough games at home.

I agree that our D needs improvement but I firmly believe that's going to happen for 2019....

I understand the offensive limitations in the B1G, but those limited offenses didn't exactly struggle to score against Nebraska. If you're going to win by scoring boat loads of points, you need all the help you can get.

Defensively I still think NU is a recruiting cycle away at least. I have no doubt we'll see improvement in some areas, but I also think we may see some guys struggle to replicate the play from '18. I still think 2020 is the year it all comes together and we're looking at 10+ wins and a shot at the B1G. I will be happy as a pig in shite if I'm off by a year, as long as they're a year early.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back