• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could NIL be used to destroy a team?

Are osu's qbs getting no NIL?
I'm going to say there are very few, if any, Power conference players getting $0 from NIL. That's part of my objection to the premise laid out by the OP. There are definitely some players getting minimal money (few thousand bucks, maybe), but those are players who wouldn't make an impact regardless if they were on a roster. Anyone who does or could make an impact to the roster is probably getting a nice amount of walking around money.

The schools with impactful talent buried on their roster (like OSU), have guys making good money, even if they aren't playing. Part of luring them in is what NIL they can get.

I'm going to say there are very few, if any, Power conference players getting $0 from NIL. That's part of my objection to the premise laid out by the OP. There are definitely some players getting minimal money (few thousand bucks, maybe), but those are players who wouldn't make an impact regardless if they were on a roster. Anyone who does or could make an impact to the roster is probably getting a nice amount of walking around money.

The schools with impactful talent buried on their roster (like OSU), have guys making good money, even if they aren't playing. Part of luring them in is what NIL they can get.
Yep
Guys like Kienholz https://247sports.com/player/lincoln-kienholz-46130719/
Sayin https://247sports.com/player/julian-sayin-46102486/
Will Howard https://247sports.com/player/will-howard-46056477/
Air Noland https://247sports.com/player/air-noland-46102927/

Four deep,what's that, maybe 6 million there? Maybe only 4?

Was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works within the Minnesota Basketball department on NIL and what he’s seeing.

The topic came up about using NIL as a weapon? I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have this kind of $$$ or even know of someone who does, but it was a fun discussion none the less.

The idea is could some Mark Cuban sized mega donor get in touch with specific agents or camps for players on an opposing team and say something a long the lines of “I’ll pay you $100,000 if you transfer from that school?”

Take Colorado for example, the Sanders boys and Travis Hunter are getting their fair share of NIL, but is anyone else? Could someone with deep enough pockets go in and completely destroy a programs depth to where they didn’t have enough quality athletes to be competitive?
This is why there needs to be a College Sport Czar. A Committee that sets rules, sets limits, creates a system that is fair & equitable to all schools. A VERY weird time we are in. On the positive side, at least for now, Nebraska is handling the whole NIL thing very well. Maybe someone (SUH) needs to chat with Warren Buffett and his Family.
Keep the Faith! (Close the door at 8-4)

Last edited:
Was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works within the Minnesota Basketball department on NIL and what he’s seeing.

The topic came up about using NIL as a weapon? I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have this kind of $$$ or even know of someone who does, but it was a fun discussion none the less.

The idea is could some Mark Cuban sized mega donor get in touch with specific agents or camps for players on an opposing team and say something a long the lines of “I’ll pay you $100,000 if you transfer from that school?”

Take Colorado for example, the Sanders boys and Travis Hunter are getting their fair share of NIL, but is anyone else? Could someone with deep enough pockets go in and completely destroy a programs depth to where they didn’t have enough quality athletes to be competitive?
Oregon State got collectively destroyed this off-season. It really can't get much worse than what they lost.

This is why there needs to be a College Sport Czar. A Committee that sets rules, sets limits, creates a system that is fair & equitable to all schools.
We have one. Supreme Court and lawyers dismantle all the rules, limits and the system that was designed to be as fair and equitable as it could. Now the jury is still out if the system is more equitable now or before NIL and transfer portal.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back