• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could Nebraska baseball ever be a profit generator?

I don’t think it’s a good idea in any other sport. Basketball, football, even volleyball would get too rowdy. But baseball, which plays during the day in most cases I think would go over pretty smoothly. Not to mention the fact it already has the infrastructure in place to do it for the Saltdogs.
Basketball will be fine with beer. Ridiculous to think otherwise. Been attending creighton games for years at the new arena and cant recall a single incident. It's simply Tom's puritanical influence that's keeping NU from treating their adult fans like adults.

There is a lot of discussion here about Haymarket park so rather than a new thread O will post this here.

Is there any news of improvements or repairs to Haymarket for this season?
What prompted me to ask the question is that on Saturday when I went to the Husker basketball game I parked in the Festival Parking Lot and there was a crane set up in the parking lot for Haymarket behind the scoreboard. About 1/2 the scoreboard was down and not on site that I could see. Any news on scoreboard improvements or is this just repairs?

Last edited:
There is a lot of discussion here about Haymarket park so rather than a new thread O will post this here.

Is there any news of improvements or repairs to Haymarket for this season?
What prompted me to ask the question is that on Saturday when I went to the Husker basketball game I parked in the Festival Parking Lot and there was a crane set up in the parking lot for Haymarket behind the scoreboard. About 1/2 the scoreboard was down and not on site that I could see. Any news on scoreboard improvements or is this just repairs?

Massive improvements, it's gonna be eye popping when it's finished. I was also told the Saltdogs are either adding some improvements somewhere or something new - can't remember the details. I will say, our lockerroom needs some massive work done. And massive is an understatement as we are way, way, way behind the times.

@ShortSideOption I understand this is a 2019 thread, but costs are gonna go up beginning in the 2021 season. I'm fairly confident we will start chartering flights for all away games (obviously minus bus rides). That alone will add a chunk of change, the players getting home between midnight & 1:30 or later needs to stop. Too bad it's not happening this year though.

Yes, I do believe baseball can be profitable but I'd like to see this season before commenting further.

Last edited:
Massive improvements, it's gonna be eye popping when it's finished. I was also told the Saltdogs are either adding some improvements somewhere or something new - can't remember the details. I will say, our lockerroom needs some massive work done. And massive is an understatement as we are way, way, way behind the times.

@ShortSideOption I understand this is a 2019 thread, but costs are gonna go up beginning in the 2021 season. I'm fairly confident we will start chartering flights for all away games (obviously minus bus rides). That alone will add a chunk of change, the players getting home between midnight & 1:30 or later needs to stop. Too bad it's not happening this year though.

Yes, I do believe baseball can be profitable but I'd like to see this season before commenting further.
What was that one first baseman we had from Iowa, Ben something? Little bigger...

Anyway, he once commented about how they wouldn't get home til midnight or after sometimes and still had class to go to in the mornings. Those trips to Rutgers and Maryland got dicey.

I still think for it to be profitable in Lincoln we need more suites than what we have and we need to sell places like Sandhills, HUDL, and other companies to purchase a suite and host events there. I just can't see it with the weather we have unless we make it an every home game situation.

Excited about private chartering everywhere. I know they do that in the SEC and assume Bolt put that in his requests.

One of my biggest pet peeves is letting the underground heating system fail and not repairing it. That was a major feather of the field when built and to not have it for playing early-season games on green grass is just inexcusable. How many years has that been failed? It is a fair number.

What was that one first baseman we had from Iowa, Ben something? Little bigger...

Anyway, he once commented about how they wouldn't get home til midnight or after sometimes and still had class to go to in the mornings. Those trips to Rutgers and Maryland got dicey.

Ben Miller. Guy weighed 270 when he got here, although he slimmed down a little while here. Versatile guy although he never hit for power like they hoped. Could field his position quite well, and even had some decent outings on the mound.

One of my biggest pet peeves is letting the underground heating system fail and not repairing it. That was a major feather of the field when built and to not have it for playing early-season games on green grass is just inexcusable. How many years has that been failed? It is a fair number.

I did not realize that. What a shame. Inexcusable.

Ben Miller. Guy weighed 270 when he got here, although he slimmed down a little while here. Versatile guy although he never hit for power like they hoped. Could field his position quite well, and even had some decent outings on the mound.

His fatness was so frustrating. I don't understand how you can be a member of a sports team at UNL and not get jacked; or at least not look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow man.

Does NU play day games during the week? Meaning during working hours? If so, that would put a major damper on attendance.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back