• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could be 40 New Huskers

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Between transfers and freshman recruits Rhule has brought in at least 39 and possibly 40 new scholarship players. It’s simply not the same team that ended the season with a win over Iowa in Iowa. The defensive end position ( edge rushers) are easily the hardest hit. Palmer was a HUGE part of the offense and will be tough to replace. However three new linemen a transfer and two returning starters ( one from a suspension and another from injury) which should help with improvement. I believe the schedule sets up well opening with Minnesota then Colorado both away ( should be favorite in one of those) the two very winnable home games.
It’s going to be fun to watch I believe Nebraska has hired an outstanding coach.

Yea the large turnover is eye opening and yet……welcoming. We have to be realistic in our expectations. It’s possible we could step back a bit while trying to find ourselves. Overall it seems talent and fit are better.

The very biggest question in the Rhule hire has yet to be answered. Development has been so lacking at Nebraska in the last 8 years. I’m cautiously optimistic. No reason not to have hope but the measurables won’t start appearing until game time.

Yea the large turnover is eye opening and yet……welcoming. We have to be realistic in our expectations. It’s possible we could step back a bit while trying to find ourselves. Overall it seems talent and fit are better.

The very biggest question in the Rhule hire has yet to be answered. Development has been so lacking at Nebraska in the last 8 years. I’m cautiously optimistic. No reason not to have hope but the measurables won’t start appearing until game time.
I have bothing to add

I have bothing to add
I don't know if the quantity is indicative of whether we have been bad for more than half of a decade ... or others that have been better or good.

It seems to be more of the new CFB world we are in with NIL and the portal. To illustrate, the Volunteers who were in the CFB playoff hunt at one point, 11 game winner and top 10 finish have added added 34 players already.

Between transfers and freshman recruits Rhule has brought in at least 39 and possibly 40 new scholarship players. It’s simply not the same team that ended the season with a win over Iowa in Iowa. The defensive end position ( edge rushers) are easily the hardest hit. Palmer was a HUGE part of the offense and will be tough to replace. However three new linemen a transfer and two returning starters ( one from a suspension and another from injury) which should help with improvement. I believe the schedule sets up well opening with Minnesota then Colorado both away ( should be favorite in one of those) the two very winnable home games.
It’s going to be fun to watch I believe Nebraska has hired an outstanding coach.
With 40 new players, there is going to be a hell of an exit after spring ball, at least 25-30 players. 85 minus 14 transfers minus 4 declaring minus the seniors.

Can see alot of players loosing their scholly. I get bringing your guys etc, but is it right to offer more than you have knowing some loose their spot.

Are there 40 guys underperforming that can be cut so to speak, or is there some NIL money just enough to keep them as walk ons with some cash in their pockets

Can NIL substitute for scholarships to make walk ons an extra source of quasi schollies? That would be a final knife into NCAA

I love his strategy of bringing in a ton of new guys via the portal and also with traditional signing day kids. As long as they are guys he'd normally go after and not reaches like we've seen this late from other staffs.

Pelini, Riley, Frost, they all failed miserably at keeping the team at 85. How many years would we talk about how spring attrition would leave the team with 78, 81 scholarship players.

That's before the portal. Now it's imperative to keep your numbers high heading into spring. Let the competition whittle the roster down for you. The guys that are processed...errrr... decide to transfer or medically retire after spring, are guys that can't beat out the new guys or don't fit the culture or schemes being run. It's a good thing that they're leaving.

Other than Hausmann (couTAMPERINGgh), who have you lost that hurts? I don't count guys like Nelson and Mathis. I'll always default to someone choosing the NFL.

Getting to 85 will be at the expense of guys like Tyreke Johnson and Noa Pola-Gates. Upperclassmen who've done nothing. Someone like Smothers and/or Torres. WRs like Victor Jones and Shawn Hardy if they come out of another spring without threatening the depth chart. A tight end like Chase Androff if he doesn't fit the new profile the staff wants.

In a Year 1 rebuild, who's on the roster that it would really, truly suck to lose? The way this staff grinds on the recruiting trail? The majority, if not all of the transfers that are gonna come, I'll bet most fans will be able to nod their heads and say "Yeah, I can see that."

With 40 new players, there is going to be a hell of an exit after spring ball, at least 25-30 players. 85 minus 14 transfers minus 4 declaring minus the seniors.
Between 12-20 will leave. They will find creative ways to keep the others. Mark my word.

Can see alot of players loosing their scholly. I get bringing your guys etc, but is it right to offer more than you have knowing some loose their spot.

Are there 40 guys underperforming that can be cut so to speak, or is there some NIL money just enough to keep them as walk ons with some cash in their pockets
Yes some will lose their spot. Some have been with the team multiple years and have not made it to starter on bad teams. We do not need to lose 40. We need to lose I believe 18 at this point. Can you find 18 that we could lose and not notice. I would say pretty easy.

I love his strategy of bringing in a ton of new guys via the portal and also with traditional signing day kids. As long as they are guys he'd normally go after and not reaches like we've seen this late from other staffs.

Pelini, Riley, Frost, they all failed miserably at keeping the team at 85. How many years would we talk about how spring attrition would leave the team with 78, 81 scholarship players.

That's before the portal. Now it's imperative to keep your numbers high heading into spring. Let the competition whittle the roster down for you. The guys that are processed...errrr... decide to transfer or medically retire after spring, are guys that can't beat out the new guys or don't fit the culture or schemes being run. It's a good thing that they're leaving.

Other than Hausmann (couTAMPERINGgh), who have you lost that hurts? I don't count guys like Nelson and Mathis. I'll always default to someone choosing the NFL.

Getting to 85 will be at the expense of guys like Tyreke Johnson and Noa Pola-Gates. Upperclassmen who've done nothing. Someone like Smothers and/or Torres. WRs like Victor Jones and Shawn Hardy if they come out of another spring without threatening the depth chart. A tight end like Chase Androff if he doesn't fit the new profile the staff wants.

In a Year 1 rebuild, who's on the roster that it would really, truly suck to lose? The way this staff grinds on the recruiting trail? The majority, if not all of the transfers that are gonna come, I'll bet most fans will be able to nod their heads and say "Yeah, I can see that."
Add in the fact this is MRs MO, 45 at Baylor with all but one from old staff recruits leaving. So many of the other coaches part of the Temple rebound, knowing how it goes and what it takes.
Grinders indeed

Can NIL substitute for scholarships to make walk ons an extra source of quasi schollies? That would be a final knife into NCAA
Yes some will lose their spot. Some have been with the team multiple years and have not made it to starter on bad teams. We do not need to lose 40. We need to lose I believe 18 at this point. Can you find 18 that we could lose and not notice. I would say pretty easy.
The catch is in the B1G I believe the football scholarship for a high schooler is 4 years (please give a link if this rule has changed). So you can decline a scholarship for the 5th or 6th (Covid) year guys and for guys that transferred in years past. For other guys with a right to the four years, you can talk to them and tell them they don’t appear to have a future on the field here, but you can’t pull the scholarship. A medical retirement will work for some, and for talented players maybe you can find NIL scholarship equivalent money for a few. I think it will be fascinating (and I hope not messy) to see how it plays out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back