• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Corporate Ruin of New Year's Football

What did I say earlier? That 4-5 teams had a chance often. I was right. That’s 2 games. Depending on how those games went, any number of things could happen.

So we agree, my original post was "Outside of only one or maybe two bowl games it was always that way." But if you include a 5th team then twice it did happen and there where three bowls contributing to the NC.

About a 50/50 split on whether one or two bowl games mattered and the rest were exhibition games just like it is now.

I enjoyed the Rose bowl this year just as much as any in the 80's or 90's if not more.

Really the only thing that truly matters is that the old system allowed for that rare moment when a minor bowl is the NC and the Holiday bowl gets the spotlight. For that reason the old system is the best.

C

So we agree, my original post was "Outside of only one or maybe two bowl games it was always that way." But if you include a 5th team then twice it did happen and there where three bowls contributing to the NC.

About a 50/50 split on whether one or two bowl games mattered and the rest were exhibition games just like it is now.

I enjoyed the Rose bowl this year just as much as any in the 80's or 90's if not more.

Really the only thing that truly matters is that the old system allowed for that rare moment when a minor bowl is the NC and the Holiday bowl gets the spotlight. For that reason the old system is the best.

C

My #1 gripe is the lack of teams that actually are in position to win a national title anymore.

Look at all of those different national champs between 1978 and 2005.

28 years -- 22 unique national champs (some split).

In that 1979-2005 span:
SEC: 7
Big 8/12: 7
Independents: 6
Pac-10: 4
ACC: 4
Big Ten: 2
Big East: 2
WAC: 1

Now, between 2006 and 2021 -- 8 unique national champs in 16 years.

Even worse:
SEC: 12
ACC: 3
Big Ten: 1

So, 12 of the past 16 national champs have been from the SEC -- three times as often as all other conferences combined.

I can give you Alabama, another SEC team, Clemson, and Ohio State -- and the odds are nearly 100% at least one of those teams will be in the next national championship game -- and at least 50% two of those teams will be in the championship game. I know that today. I rarely knew how the postseason and national title would set up between 1978 and 2005.

I'm totally done with the college football postseason. I'd rather watch Ball State vs Western Kentucky in a bowl game than any of the games involving P5 schools (unless Nebraska makes an appearance). There's no more predictable sport than college football.

Last edited:
I watch CNN but they don't have much on sports. Don't know what you mean. ESPN bought up all the bowl games so I guess ESPN might be the one. ESPN also has a monetary interest in just how well the SEC does.
Think it's a shame that the ordinary man can't watch the games.

My #1 gripe is the lack of teams that actually are in position to win a national title anymore.

Look at all of those different national champs between 1978 and 2005.

28 years -- 22 unique national champs (some split).

In that 1979-2005 span:
SEC: 7
Big 8/12: 7
Independents: 6
Pac-10: 4
ACC: 4
Big Ten: 2
Big East: 2
WAC: 1

Now, between 2006 and 2021 -- 8 unique national champs in 16 years.

Even worse:
SEC: 12
ACC: 3
Big Ten: 1

So, 12 of the past 16 national champs have been from the SEC -- three times as often as all other conferences combined.

I can give you Alabama, another SEC team, Clemson, and Ohio State -- and the odds are nearly 100% at least one of those teams will be in the next national championship game -- and at least 50% two of those teams will be in the championship game. I know that today. I rarely knew how the postseason and national title would set up between 1978 and 2005.

I'm totally done with the college football postseason. I'd rather watch Ball State vs Western Kentucky in a bowl game than any of the games involving P5 schools (unless Nebraska makes an appearance). There's no more predictable sport than college football.

No doubt the majority of talent has coalesced around a small number of schools along with good to great coaches so the parity has all but gone. Even under the old bowl system we would still see roughly the same results with the SEC lead by Alabama dominating.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back