• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Corporate Ruin of New Year's Football

I’m sorry but I totally disagree that this is corporate driven. The CFP has been fan driven from day 1. The demand to get away from polls declaring champions was unilaterally identified as the number 1 problem with college football. The commen solution was to take the best two teams after the bowl game and let them playoff. The fans demanded four teams and got it. Now we want 8 or 16. We are our own worst enemy.

However, with 8 or 16 teams, at least there will be more games that mean something (and fewer star players opting out).

Sure, I much prefer the old bowl system I grew up with in the 80s. Back then, you had multiple games meaning something -- and sometimes an upset would make another bowl game or two even more meaningful as the day developed.

The BCS was the absolute worst and the playoff isn't much better. I was not and never will be a fan of making more games meaningless. But again, since it's pretty much the SEC's show in the postseason anymore, it probably doesn't even matter what format they go with. Horribly predictable.

This is really just one of a growing long list why college football is rapidly becoming a rotten sport -- if it isn't already there.

I don't think there is anything new in here, just another opinion. But I guess I am of that age, mom would put on a crock pot of soup and we would snack on chips, meat, cheese and crackers and bring in another tv to the living room and watch football all day. Games were fun to watch, football was the focus not all the other stuff. Times change, I get that, just miss football being fun.

I brought 2 extra TVs into the living room for the brief overlap of three games. Sure, it is different now, but I've been running a friends and family pool for maybe 15 years, hanging out with my son during whatever random game happens to be on. My memories of the old bowl schedules across multiple channels are full of championship level games for the Huskers and now we haven't played anywhere important for a while. Perhaps that sours many nebraska fans on the current setup, but I still find the games entertaining and will watch most of them.

The desire for the corporate dollar from advertising is why the sec has been singled out and pushed so hard that it’s the only conference espn has to worry about…job complete. This has nothing to do with what fans wanted, it’s what the fans got.

Isn't seeking Ad dollars a response to the fans interest in watching the games?

Is college football more popular today with more $$$ in the kitty because of corps or are the corps simply responding to insatiable demand from the fans?

Are Corps forcing Alberts to consider revamping memorial stadium? Or, is the recent survey a response to the college program arms race regarding fan amenities, fan experience, etc.... that goes directly toward encouraging better players to want to come to the university to play?

I brought 2 extra TVs into the living room for the brief overlap of three games. Sure, it is different now, but I've been running a friends and family pool for maybe 15 years, hanging out with my son during whatever random game happens to be on. My memories of the old bowl schedules across multiple channels are full of championship level games for the Huskers and now we haven't played anywhere important for a while. Perhaps that sours many nebraska fans on the current setup, but I still find the games entertaining and will watch most of them.
no issues with this at all. I still love going to the game itself. I will never stop watching Nebraska, for me it's just a different feel, I don't drop everything on saturday's or during bowl season anymore to watch other teams.

Can't disagree with the OP, but how 'bout them Cowboys!

1642268175473.png

Last edited:
Not how I recall it. I remember several New Year’s Day games where as many as 4-5 different teams could win it if things fell right. Sometimes, they did.
Those were the good old days pal.Thanks to greed, new conference alignments, and lost rivalries that will never happen again.

Not how I recall it. I remember several New Year’s Day games where as many as 4-5 different teams could win it if things fell right. Sometimes, they did.

I could only go back to 78 with the resource I had but I am pretty sure the pattern and ration is the same further back. The 21 years between 78 and 98, stopped there because 99 was the start of the BCS, only twice did more than two bowl games really matter, three in 90 and 91 with the split championships. Outside of the below bowl games all the rest did not matter for that year. Many years the Rose bowl is No. 11 Michigan 22, No. 5 USC 14 or No. 5 UCLA 24, No. 19 Michigan 14 and same with the other bowl games not hosting the #1-#3 teams. Which is no different than what we see now.

78 One Sugar No. 2 Alabama 14 No. 1 Penn State 7
79 Two Rose Bowl No. 3 USC 17 No. 1 Ohio State 16
Sugar Bowl No. 2 Alabama 24 No. 6 Arkansas 9
80 Two Sugar Bowl: No. 1 Georgia 17, No. 7 Notre Dame 10
Orange Bowl: No. 4 Oklahoma 18, No. 2 Florida State 17
81 Two Orange: No. 1 Clemson 22, No. 4 Nebraska 15
Sugar: No. 10 Pittsburgh 24, No. 2 Georgia 20
82 One Sugar: No. 2 Penn State 27, No. 1 Georgia 23
83 One Orange Bowl: No. 5 Miami (Fl) 31, No. 1 Nebraska 30 OUCH!
84 Two Holiday Bowl: No. 1 Brigham Young 24, Michigan 17
Orange Bowl: No. 4 Washington 28, No. 2 Oklahoma 17 Minor bowl and Orange
85 One Orange Bowl: No. 3 Oklahoma 25, No. 1 Penn State 10
86 One Fiesta Bowl: No. 2 Penn State 14, No. 1 Miami (FL) 10
87 One Orange Bowl: No. 2 Miami (FL) 20, No. 1 Oklahoma 14
88 Two Fiesta Bowl: No. 1 Notre Dame 34, No. 3 West Virginia 21
Orange Bowl: No. 2 Miami (FL) 23, No. 6 Nebraska 3
89 Two Orange Bowl: No. 4 Notre Dame 21, No. 1 Colorado 6
Sugar Bowl: No. 2 Miami (FL) 33, No. 7 Alabama 25
90 Three Orange Bowl: No. 1 Colorado 10, No. 5 Notre Dame 9
Cotton Bowl: No. 4 Miami (FL) 46, No. 3 Texas 3
Florida Citrus Bowl: No. 2 Georgia Tech 45, No. 19 Nebraska 21 Split championship
91 Three Orange Bowl: No. 1 Miami 22, No. 11 Nebraska 0
Rose Bowl: No. 2 Washington 34, No. 4 Michigan 14
Sugar Bowl: No. 18 Notre Dame 39, No. 3 Florida 28 Split Championship
92 One Sugar Bowl (National Championship Game) No. 2 Alabama 34 No. 1 Miami 13
93 One Orange Bowl: No. 1 Florida State 18, No. 2 Nebraska 16
94 Two Orange Bowl: No. 1 Nebraska 24, No. 3 Miami 17
Rose Bowl: No. 2 Penn State 38, No. 12 Oregon 20
95 One Fiesta Bowl: No. 1 Nebraska 62, No. 2 Florida 24
96 One Sugar Bowl No. 3 Florida 52 No. 1 Florida St. 20
97 Two Rose Bowl No. 1 Michigan 21 No. 8 Washington State 10
Orange Bowl No. 2 Nebraska 42 No. 3 Tennessee 17 Split Championship
98 One Fiesta Bowl No. 1 Tennessee 23 No. 2 Florida State 16

Right now there are three bowl games that matter guaranteed. From 83 to 86 one bowl game mattered, the rest only had the team fans and CFB fans watching them. Over 21 years 11 of them had just one bowl game that mattered, 8 years two mattered, and 2 years three mattered. From 99 only one was for the NC except for 03 with the AP split until the expanded playoff.

I believe nostalgia, human natures resistance to change, and way less games being aired on TV until the technology boom plays a large part into personal bias in regards to the importance of bowl games in the past compared to now.

C

I could only go back to 78 with the resource I had but I am pretty sure the pattern and ration is the same further back. The 21 years between 78 and 98, stopped there because 99 was the start of the BCS, only twice did more than two bowl games really matter, three in 90 and 91 with the split championships. Outside of the below bowl games all the rest did not matter for that year. Many years the Rose bowl is No. 11 Michigan 22, No. 5 USC 14 or No. 5 UCLA 24, No. 19 Michigan 14 and same with the other bowl games not hosting the #1-#3 teams. Which is no different than what we see now.

78 One Sugar No. 2 Alabama 14 No. 1 Penn State 7
79 Two Rose Bowl No. 3 USC 17 No. 1 Ohio State 16
Sugar Bowl No. 2 Alabama 24 No. 6 Arkansas 9
80 Two Sugar Bowl: No. 1 Georgia 17, No. 7 Notre Dame 10
Orange Bowl: No. 4 Oklahoma 18, No. 2 Florida State 17
81 Two Orange: No. 1 Clemson 22, No. 4 Nebraska 15
Sugar: No. 10 Pittsburgh 24, No. 2 Georgia 20
82 One Sugar: No. 2 Penn State 27, No. 1 Georgia 23
83 One Orange Bowl: No. 5 Miami (Fl) 31, No. 1 Nebraska 30 OUCH!
84 Two Holiday Bowl: No. 1 Brigham Young 24, Michigan 17
Orange Bowl: No. 4 Washington 28, No. 2 Oklahoma 17 Minor bowl and Orange
85 One Orange Bowl: No. 3 Oklahoma 25, No. 1 Penn State 10
86 One Fiesta Bowl: No. 2 Penn State 14, No. 1 Miami (FL) 10
87 One Orange Bowl: No. 2 Miami (FL) 20, No. 1 Oklahoma 14
88 Two Fiesta Bowl: No. 1 Notre Dame 34, No. 3 West Virginia 21
Orange Bowl: No. 2 Miami (FL) 23, No. 6 Nebraska 3
89 Two Orange Bowl: No. 4 Notre Dame 21, No. 1 Colorado 6
Sugar Bowl: No. 2 Miami (FL) 33, No. 7 Alabama 25
90 Three Orange Bowl: No. 1 Colorado 10, No. 5 Notre Dame 9
Cotton Bowl: No. 4 Miami (FL) 46, No. 3 Texas 3
Florida Citrus Bowl: No. 2 Georgia Tech 45, No. 19 Nebraska 21 Split championship
91 Three Orange Bowl: No. 1 Miami 22, No. 11 Nebraska 0
Rose Bowl: No. 2 Washington 34, No. 4 Michigan 14
Sugar Bowl: No. 18 Notre Dame 39, No. 3 Florida 28 Split Championship
92 One Sugar Bowl (National Championship Game) No. 2 Alabama 34 No. 1 Miami 13
93 One Orange Bowl: No. 1 Florida State 18, No. 2 Nebraska 16
94 Two Orange Bowl: No. 1 Nebraska 24, No. 3 Miami 17
Rose Bowl: No. 2 Penn State 38, No. 12 Oregon 20
95 One Fiesta Bowl: No. 1 Nebraska 62, No. 2 Florida 24
96 One Sugar Bowl No. 3 Florida 52 No. 1 Florida St. 20
97 Two Rose Bowl No. 1 Michigan 21 No. 8 Washington State 10
Orange Bowl No. 2 Nebraska 42 No. 3 Tennessee 17 Split Championship
98 One Fiesta Bowl No. 1 Tennessee 23 No. 2 Florida State 16

Right now there are three bowl games that matter guaranteed. From 83 to 86 one bowl game mattered, the rest only had the team fans and CFB fans watching them. Over 21 years 11 of them had just one bowl game that mattered, 8 years two mattered, and 2 years three mattered. From 99 only one was for the NC except for 03 with the AP split until the expanded playoff.

I believe nostalgia, human natures resistance to change, and way less games being aired on TV until the technology boom plays a large part into personal bias in regards to the importance of bowl games in the past compared to now.

C
What did I say earlier? That 4-5 teams had a chance often. I was right. That’s 2 games. Depending on how those games went, any number of things could happen.

Once the playoff expands to 16 teams most of my concerns about college football will be fixed.
I'm 58, so I can certainly remember when New Years Day college football was a major event, but that ended a good 20 years ago. There haven't been more than four or five games on New Years Day for a very long time.

Went back and read the history of the New Years Day bowls, and a couple things were pretty fascinating.
For the first 40-50 years every bowl game was played on New Years Day.
By the early 90's there were 8 games every New Years. By the last 90's it was six, and then it's been mostly four or five since then.
It was once one of the great days of the year, and it's been diminished a lot.

Went back and read the history of the New Years Day bowls, and a couple things were pretty fascinating.
For the first 40-50 years every bowl game was played on New Years Day.
By the early 90's there were 8 games every New Years. By the last 90's it was six, and then it's been mostly four or five since then.
It was once one of the great days of the year, and it's been diminished a lot.
Pal the last 5 years there have been no great days after thanksgiving!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back