• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

As of 07:30 pm 03/29/20

1585528045203.png

A new test that could speed things up was just granted "emergency-use authorization" by the Food and Drug Administration on Friday and will be rolled out this week. Abbott, the company that makes the test, says they can do about 50,000 tests per day.

Some clinicians say this will be a game-changer, as it can provide results in under 15 minutes, instead of days. With the new test, patients will be able to swab themselves, reducing the risk of infection for health care workers.

Tough to make this work if we are going to continue to ramp up testing and start capturing more of the mild/asymptomatic cases
in S Korea, they tested everyone, I believe. Imo, testing everyone doesn't change this at all except in absolute numbers.

Last edited:
in S Korea, they tested everyone, I believe. Imo, testing everyone doesn't change this at all except in absolute numbers.

An increase in testing that captures the types of cases that have always been there but were not being captured creates an artificial steepening of the curve. It's not about whether we should test, it's about how that increase fits into the models.

A long as the new testing doesn't tie up lab resources or use up all the PPE's, I don't have any concerns with everyone getting a test. Having a complete picture of the total number of infected will give a clearer picture of the actual death rate. I imaging the actual death rate is much lower than the current 1.75% US rate.

Unfortunately simple tests like a test at-home version will make it difficult to capture all the results.

My daughter is an RN with the NIH. They've shut down the clinic she works in (research type office). She's decided to take a contract in NYC working as a shift nurse at a hospital in Queens. Lord... This comes on the heels of finding out my son is deploying to Afghanistan soon. Before I retired I never got worked up about deploying all over the place and going "into harm's way." Now that it's my kids - ouch. World has turned upside down and I'm not so sure I like it. :O O:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back