• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

Pretty much none of those statistics are a meaningful apples to apples comparison.

for instance, with cases alone. We test more than any other large country, we also test using tests that are far more sensitive than any other country (including positives that other countries consider negatives). European countries (Spain and now Belgium) are limiting cases to those that have lower cycles to produce a test positive and to those who have clinical significance and aren't just a positive test score.

Pointed this out in the other thread, but out of the 50K positive tests (and likely more by now) from college campuses who're reporting them, there have been only 2 hospitalizations. In what world are those 50K tests considered "cases"?

Asking because I truly do not know: is hospitalization required to be considered a “case”? For example, if I go to my doctor with strep and he diagnoses and treats it and send me home, wouldn’t that still be considered a case of strep?

Asking because I truly do not know: is hospitalization required to be considered a “case”? For example, if I go to my doctor with strep and he diagnoses and treats it and send me home, wouldn’t that still be considered a case of strep?

If you have strep and you are diagnosed the standard treatment is an oral antibiotic. In the vast majority of the "cases" in colleges, they are explicitly not contagious and get no treatment whatsoever.

gist of this is that Spain is only counting cases if they have clinical significance/diagnosis to focus on those who may transmit the virus. PCR+ cycles over 30 and 35 are NOT regarded as infectious. Most of the US tests as positive anything up to 40

Yesterday, I attended a memorial service for a very dear friend who died from the virus. That is the only stat I need to know with regard to the seriousness of this pandemic.

Absolutely....I too lost an older friend to this. I have never said, nor will ever say that it is not a tragedy. I am simply saying that in my limited and uneducated view, we have approached reporting the statistics far too simplistically if you truly want to fight the damn thing.

If you noticed what I did for a living for 25 years of my life you’d understand it’s how I think. If I seemed insensitive, you have my apologies.

Absolutely....I too lost an older friend to this. I have never said, nor will ever say that it is not a tragedy. I am simply saying that in my limited and uneducated view, we have approached reporting the statistics far too simplistically if you truly want to fight the damn thing.

If you noticed what I did for a living for 25 years of my life you’d understand it’s how I think. If I seemed insensitive, you have my apologies.
Thank you. You have my respect.

If you have strep and you are diagnosed the standard treatment is an oral antibiotic. In the vast majority of the "cases" in colleges, they are explicitly not contagious and get no treatment whatsoever.

gist of this is that Spain is only counting cases if they have clinical significance/diagnosis to focus on those who may transmit the virus. PCR+ cycles over 30 and 35 are NOT regarded as infectious. Most of the US tests as positive anything up to 40

So in summary, yes my hypothetical case of strep throat would be a “case,” because I have it and it was officially diagnosed.

However, other countries may have different requirements to consider a Covid-19 diagnosis an official “case.”

So in summary, yes my hypothetical case of strep throat would be a “case,” because I have it and it was officially diagnosed.

However, other countries may have different requirements to consider a Covid-19 diagnosis an official “case.”

And it is a case because you would be treated for Strep and likely instructed to avoid types of contact to avoid spreading Strep.

In the case of the other countries, they are EXCLUDING those people who may have tested positive, but who are not contagious and do not require treatment.

there's far, far more info, but this is a good start:

Last edited:
Our governor in Virginia rolled out a very similar app and it’s simple as hell and seems very secure. Problem is for it to be effective, people have to use it and with the way Americans are about their personal security it would literally take a law to make this work. And again because of the way we are as Americans, proud and protective of those personal freedoms, I don’t think the law would be passed....or obeyed for that matter. However, both my wife and I downloaded it and fired it up. I mean what does it hurt? I’m 66 and if the department of defense, or some Chinese spy wants to know I just went to the local grocery store they are certainly welcome to that information. Hell, I think people give away more personal freedoms on Facebook than they do anywhere else LOL.

Last edited:

Our governor in Virginia rolled out a very similar app and it’s simple as hell and seems very secure. Problem is for it to be effective, people have to use it and with the way Americans are about their personal security it would literally take a law to make this work. And again because of the way we are as Americans, proud and protective of those personal freedoms, I don’t think the law would be passed....or obeyed for that matter. However, both my wife and I downloaded it and fired it up. I mean what does it hurt? I’m 66 and if the department of defense, or some Chinese spy wants to know I just went to the local grocery store they are certainly welcome to that information. Hell, I think people give away more personal freedoms on Facebook than they do anywhere else LOL.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back