• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

Intersting article from the Jerusalem Post.

Study of a number of Corona Virus infections from 10 patients shows that antibodies go away in 6-12 months.

Implication of this is that any vaccine that might be developed (remember, there has NEVER been a vaccine to any Corona virus developed in the past) would likely be at best like the Influenza vaccine, require at least yearly dosing, with limited effectiveness (Influenza A vaccine averages 30% effective ).

At worst, the vaccine may not generate protective antibodies that last for a significant amount of time at all (less than 6 months).

Thus our best defense against Covid will remain hygiene (hand washing, cleaning surfaces between human contacts, etc) similar to the other common Corona Virus; e.g. the "common cold".

So this mantra of "waiting for the vaccine" is a false one, it isn't coming and if one is produced by the "Government" it likely won't work.

If we just relearn the importance of hygiene from Covid, the 100,000 deaths will be "worth it" as going forward we will save many more lives than this with each Influenza season and from bacterial infections where antibiotic resistance is becoming a tremendous problem and avoidance of infection is the key to saving lives there rather than ever more toxic second line antibiotics for resistant bacteria (staph aureus, enterococcus, clostridium difficile to name just a few).

Study of a number of Corona Virus infections from 10 patients shows that antibodies go away in 6-12 months.

Implication of this is that any vaccine that might be developed (remember, there has NEVER been a vaccine to any Corona virus developed in the past) would likely be at best like the Influenza vaccine, require at least yearly dosing, with limited effectiveness (Influenza A vaccine averages 30% effective ).

At worst, the vaccine may not generate protective antibodies that last for a significant amount of time at all (less than 6 months).

Thus our best defense against Covid will remain hygiene (hand washing, cleaning surfaces between human contacts, etc) similar to the other common Corona Virus; e.g. the "common cold".

So this mantra of "waiting for the vaccine" is a false one, it isn't coming and if one is produced by the "Government" it likely won't work.

If we just relearn the importance of hygiene from Covid, the 100,000 deaths will be "worth it" as going forward we will save many more lives than this with each Influenza season and from bacterial infections where antibiotic resistance is becoming a tremendous problem and avoidance of infection is the key to saving lives there rather than ever more toxic second line antibiotics for resistant bacteria (staph aureus, enterococcus, clostridium difficile to name just a few).

If that is true, then herd immunity will never be attainable, correct?

That's bad news. Guess I'm screwed as a transplant patient on immunosuppressant drugs. So are cancer patients, and other immunocompromised individuals.

This may have reverberations affecting all of sports going forward, hopeful that cooler heads prevail.

Not if there is an understanding that in this age group that the disease is mild to asymptomatic.

Folks, the Covid at this point is everywhere, there is no avoiding it, anymore than one could ever avoid the common cold.

The media has made us forget that in 75-80% of us the illness is asymptomatic to mild. It is only in those with health issues, or older people (like me) that the disease is a risk for severe illness and death. More than 40-45% of deaths have been in nursing homes, those could have been less with the correct procedures!!

Cities, mass transit, being crammed together in elevators and high rises are what leads to large out breaks, not being outside playing golf, jogging, etc.

If the choice is to "stay in our basements" this fall, then we may as well sty there for the for see able future as the virus is not leaving us, and there are more viruses to come.

Why do I say that, well we have had SARS, MERS, H1N1, and now Covid all since 2000 so expecting this to stop is foolish.

We have to really up our hygiene measures and live our lives, period.

GBR

That's bad news. Guess I'm screwed as a transplant patient on immunosuppressant drugs. So are cancer patients, and other immunocompromised individuals.

No, you are blessed that your transplant allowed you to escape the consequences of what ever failed organ that you had. I am very happy for you that you were able to get whatever transplant that you have.

The compromise for that is the use of immunosuppressive medications which puts you at risk for all sorts of infections, including Covid as you know so well. But this risk is time dependent in most cases and by the end of the first year post most transplants, the significant risk for infections should have fallen to where yours is not much worse than my autistic son's who is on Remicade for chronic Crohn's disease.

For my son, it sure beats the alternative of active Crohn's and I am sure that you are happy to have a functional organ than what you had before because you are still with us rooting for our Huskers!

So focus on the positive, not the negative, so glad you are here with all of the rest of us, transplant and all :). GBR

If that is true, then herd immunity will never be attainable, correct?

Not through antibodies, but it appears that many people have immunity from from other mechanisms that seem more durable.

There are a lot of studies showing similar things (e.g., many people who've had it, but not having antibodies).

Similarly, SK scientists are theorizing that their population has SARS1 immunity through t cells

Those also impact analysis showing the herd immunity doesn't nearly need to be the 60% number that has been bandied about.

Also a good bit of data now that shows that this may well be following the course of SARS1 for the most part (i.e., similar curves in countries regardless of response, 90 day cycles, etc.)

Not through antibodies, but it appears that many people have immunity from from other mechanisms that seem more durable.

There are a lot of studies showing similar things (e.g., many people who've had it, but not having antibodies).

Similarly, SK scientists are theorizing that their population has SARS1 immunity through t cells

Those also impact analysis showing the herd immunity doesn't nearly need to be the 60% number that has been bandied about.

Also a good bit of data now that shows that this may well be following the course of SARS1 for the most part (i.e., similar curves in countries regardless of response, 90 day cycles, etc.)

Thanks!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back